Welsh Pony

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonny

past member - Someone just shoot me!
Reaction score
I have a friend whos Aunt has a welsh pony for sale. I went and looked at her today. She seems very sweet, not spooky. Nice overall confo. I am wanting her for riding for trails. She is stocky about 12-1.2 hh. Picks up her feet and they put a 4 yr old on her and walk her. They dont ride her much as they ride the standards but she can ride. The girl who rides her now is going to college.

Just want to know how the breed is temperament wise. I have read good things online. Also wondering if anyone has any tips or advice for me before I decide to buy her.

We have a welsh x shetland stallion bred by the taylors, he looks more welsh imo. He is about 48" tall, we got him last fall from a local farmer. He had been turned out to pasture for 6 years (they bought him at the Taylors sale in 2000, then he was turned out to pasture when they brought him home), was not touched for 5 or 6 years. Got him last fall and put alllllllllot of work on him, ground manners are great now, he just needs a gentle hand. He is very loving, loves to be rubbed and very smart. Lots of action, i mean lots!

Long long flowing mane and forelock

Wally -

8-1.jpg

9.jpg

7-3.jpg

3-5.jpg

2-5.jpg

He is stunning! I go back Sunday to see her ride....

I have a welsh/ paint cross mare who has the sweetest temperment of any horse I know. She LOVES people and we had some little kids come over and she let them hang all over her head giving her hugs and lovin it, despite the fact that she doesn't like me holding her head. She is a fabulous jumper, is learning to be a nice dressage pony, and loves trail rides, not spooky at all and level headed. even my mom, who is extremely timid around horses feels safe enough to handle her by herself and ride her. Just kind of a fun fact, but Stephen Bradley rode her in a demo at Rolex in mounted games, which she hates, but she was still great and it was really fun to watch. I'm hoping to breed her to another half welsh this year, so yeah, I like the breed. I really think she gets her personality and presence from the welsh, although she doesn't really resemble one.

reba.jpg

img081.jpg

I wish I had her jumping pic on here, she is a beautiful jumper and she loves it.

Anyhow, overload, but if your like the pony, go for it, I've certainly had good experiences w/ welsh.

BTW Leeana, you're boy is very handsome!

Thanks! I think Ohio is a bit far for me!
default_yes.gif

I will ride her Sunday then make up my mind. So far so good....
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back