Welsh pony & pinto colouring question!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisa

Reaction score
I have a friend who has a welsh pony stallion who I consider to be a minimal pinto. He has a bald face, VERY high stockings that come up way past his knees, a white chin. He looks like my definition of a minimal pinto w/ sabino. She says that he isn't because welsh ponies are not allowed to be pinto. Can someone please explain this to me?

There is definitely Sabino in Welsh- it is not considered a "Pinto" pattern, it was originally called Blagdon and is very common in minimal form. Because Pintos are not accepted in the WP&CS Stud Book, the Sabino has always been kept to a minimum expression, although it gets pretty hairy sometimes, it's a fine line between "splashy" and "Pinto" you see a lot of Cobs with loads of colour- it's where the Gypsy Vanners get their class from. Red shows it most, although the splashiest Sabino's I've ever had were Sec A roaning to grey (both genes present)and Black Roan.

Splash White and Sabino are both present in the Section A Welsh but you won't see the highly expressed "pinto" individuals breeding on. If white goes above a certain point they are not allowed to be registered as purebred Welsh and are instead registered as half Welsh even though they are genetically purebreds. With the desire for flashy ponies with chrome in the US we are seeing more and more Section A Welsh with too much white for purebred Welsh registration.

The trouble is, over here at least, the wily Welshmen just don't tell, and since most of the hill ponies are on their way through to white any way, the markings are all covered up in a few years. No photos on the forms, and so long as you just put Grey ( or Black or Bay) with white socks, no-one is ever going to check just how much white
laugh.gif

Latest posts

Back