Welsh bucskin question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fantasia

Reaction score
Can anyone help?

I have a buckskin mini who was bred down from a Welsh. He was golden bukskin last year with dapples, with almost like a frost patch over his bum. This season, the frost appears to have spread. His mother (welsh descendant) is almost completely ,well white.

Is he losing his colour to go lighter????

He's not being overheated as he is out of the sun all day and on colour supplements.

Any clues????? HELP!!!!

Welllllll, his sire is down as a chesnut pinto with appy. But he's never sired an appy yet. The lady that owns him says he has a tendancy to put dark spots on his get which only show up at certain times of the year.......

He has no spots on the bits that looked frosted.

Can't specifically answer your question.....except to mention that Welsh ponies do have a lot of the graying gene in them.

MA

Its definately on the dam's side. Since his mother looks kind of grey but isn't. I would contact the NZ welsh and see what you can find out about great grand parents.

I am presuming you have been told this, rather than know it for a fact (ie is it in his pedigree??) I ask because I have done this cross and the size reduction was very, very slow. Anyway Buckskin is Buckskin and, apart from a tendency to a "sooty" factor that does change the colour at certain times of the year , I have seen no real difference between the Welsh Buckskin and any other kind. I would assume his Mother is, in fact, Grey, if she has gone lighter each year, and that that is what he is doing. The Grey gene is a simple dominant, in order to have it it must be expressed in one parent, it does not "skip" generations. If he is going Grey his dam must also be Grey. My Buckskin (Welsh) mare did change colour but she did not go progressively lighter, just changed at different time of year.

rabbitsfizz said:
I am presuming you have been told this, rather than know it for a fact (ie is it in his pedigree??) I ask because I have done this cross and the size reduction was very, very slow.  Anyway Buckskin is Buckskin and, apart from a tendency to a "sooty" factor that does change the colour at certain times of the year , I have seen no real difference between the Welsh Buckskin and any other kind.  I would assume his Mother is, in fact, Grey, if she has gone lighter each year, and that that is what he is doing.  The Grey gene is a simple dominant, in order to have it it must be expressed in one parent, it does not "skip" generations.  If he is going Grey his dam must also be Grey.  My Buckskin (Welsh) mare did change colour but she did not go progressively lighter, just changed at different time of year.
323200[/snapback]

This line is VERY well established and known over here, and the welsh ponies mentioned were registered full welsh, the grand dam stood 39" and was foundation registred before our registry closed, whom many of us kiwi's have indeed layed eyes on. So yes it is a known fact for this horse and a number of them out there so have a stong welsh influence in there pedigrees, keep in mind that the miniature horse in NZ is still a very young breed (18 or so years from its humble beginings, give or take) Also we didn't have any indgious small equines to start with so welsh, and caspian ponys (which were in abundance over here during that time thanks to the Ridgewood pony stud) were crossed with the original horses brough in to NZ by the glenshee stud and various other small crop outs. The dam that appears grey cannot genetically be grey. Obsession is out of a cremello mare (cremello x Palomino), by a bay stallion (buckskin x Bay).

The only thing I can suggest is that this is a seasonal thing- which is what my Welsh mare did. Some times she was the most beautiful Silver Sand colour, but in winter she was Chocolate!! She had Sooty as well as Buckskin, and her undercoat is sort of grey-ey so I know what you mean by "sort of Grey" The only other possibility is that the Appy is affecting the coat colour- which is possible if the sire is Appy- how old is this horse??

what season is it there is it spring or fall or i get confused easily but i had a buckskin now owned by disneyhorse and in full summer coat he is very golden with big huge golden dapples as he starts to get his winter coat (not when it is in full winter coat but when it starts to come in) he seems to get frosty for lack of a better term but it is just his lighter coat winter coat coming in. not sure if that helps or not?

Rabbitsfizz, having bred arabs for a considerable number of years, I do actually know what grey looks like and also how greys grey out. He is NOT grey. I didn't mention anything about his mother getting lighter, only him.

Latest posts

Back