Well, we had a crappy weekend.....lost a horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djskid

Reaction score
We bought a blue roan yearling colt in July-we really didn't need another stallion (or any horse for that matter) but my Dad saw him and fell for him!! We had him to a couple of shows and were really pleased with how he placed, and were looking forward to showing him next year. Thursday afternoon, he didn't seem to be acting right, so we had the vet come. He couldn't really tell what was wrong but thought that maybe he was constipated so tubed him and left a couple of shots for him and said if he hadn't passed any manure by the morning to call. So Friday the vet came again, gave him a couple of jugs to keep him hydrated and tubed him again. He came back later in the afternoon and left some more needles of pain medication. When I got home from work at 10:30pm, my Dad and I went to the barn to check on him. My Dad said he looked to be a little better and we thought that he was passing some gas so things were looking like they were turning around. My Dad gave him a shot at 2am and when he went out to check on him at 3am, he was gone! He had the sweetest disposition and even though we only had him a short amount of time, he will be greatly missed.

To top it all off-when the vet was there on Thursday, we got him to look at a mare that we had got in May that was supposed to have been exposed to a stallion from Aug 15 to Sept 15/07 and definitly looked to be in foal (and had been showing ALL the signs of impending foaling for WEEKS now
default_wacko.png
) and the vet thought that there was a good chance that it was a false pregnancy! We were making plans to have her ultrasounded this coming week (the vets' needed to make some accomodations to their new ultrasound machine-they didn't have a ramp for it yet, have just been using it for dogs), but last night we got our confirmation that there WAS a baby....at about 10:45pm a filly arrived.

So hopefully our horseshoe of luck has straightened out again, so that it won't be dripping the "good stuff" out!

I'm so sorry you lost your beautiful boy. Colic can be such a frustrating symptom to work on--there are just so many things that cause abdominal pain and you work your best to treat the symptoms without knowing, most of the time, what the underlying cause is. It's so hard on the ones that look like they're doing better just before they crash and burn. Hugs to your new baby--tell her she has big hoofprints to fill!

I am so sorry for your loss. Things like that are sooo tough!!!

I am so sorry about your loss but I am happy to hear you have a new filly.

We lost a mare early this spring. She was our first to go into labor and it was just a horrific night and morning. It was devastating but about 3 days later, our next mare gave us a beautiful colt and our fillies followed over just a week and a half period. Having such happy, new additions really did help us and I hope your new filly will help you all, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
So sorry for your loss.

Nice to have the filly baby though, and as you said, maybe things are going to be better for you.

Sorry to hear you lost your colt.

Congratulations on your new filly, hopefully she'll be able to fill the hole in your hearts.

Sorry to hear of your loss. Losing one is so hard.
default_wub.png

Glad to hear about the new little one.

Hugs

Bonnie

So sorry for the loss, congrats on the new baby.

Add me to those that have had them come close together like that as well: Lost one colt in the sac (missed him by an hour maybe) and then one week later another's born and all's well.

I wish there were something I could say that would offer you comfort, but know that most of us here have been in the same spot and it does get better even though it never really goes away.

(((hugs)))

Liz M.

Oh, Im so sorry...wish there was something to say to ease your comfort. Losing something you love is so difficult but when they are young ones it just seems so unfair. I hope your new little filly will help to bring back some joy. Hugs to you all.

So sorry to hear about you and your Dad's loss...Joyce

I am sorry for the loss of your colt! It is hard I know.

Congrats on your new filly I know she will give you much joy and enable you to move forward.

Beth

I'm so sorry for your loss.
default_sad.png
I hope that your new filly helps ease the pain.

I'm so sorry for your loss.
default_no.gif
It's so hard to lose them like that.

Congratulations on the new filly though......shows you the vets don't always know what they're talking about!
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back