Well the deed has been done.....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1 is not enough

Reaction score
Took Pride and Piper in today to the vets to get gelded.I have mixed feelings I know we needed to get it done and it is for the best but I can't help feeling a little

guilty. It will be nice when we can everyone together in the same field (yes I am trying to give myself a pep talk.
wub.gif

Pride is a 34 inch 8 year old silver dapple and just a sweetheart, he is also my driving horse(and a rescue). We took him to visit the personal care home (nursing home) in town, put vet wrap on his feet and we went right inside. There was also about 8 very active 3 and 4 year olds visiting at the same time.
new_shocked.gif

However Pride took it all in stride. Before we left one gentleman who's wife lives there, patted my arm and with tears in his eyes said our visit meant so much and

thanked us for coming. Well that sure made my day!

We also visited a retirement program and a vocational program for people who

live with an intellectual disability. Pride sure got lots of hugs, pats and love there.

I wouldn't take just any horse there, it has to be a horse with very special qualities, which Pride has.
538.gif

Piper is a 40 inch (about) 2 year old appy. Don't ask me what colour I'm not very good with that ( I think he is frosted).He stayed in the trailer as he is not as quiet as Pride. He is very much a pocket pony he is always sticking his nose into stuff (even when I am cleaning the barn)
biggrin.gif

Piper will be a future driving horse(I hope). He was a very good boy when I put the harness on him for the first time last week.

Candy the mare stayed home (lucky girl)!

The horses are not show animals (or even reg) and they are overwieght (we are working on that) but I love them and our family has so much fun with them.

I need to figure out how to post pics one day

Sorry I guess this got kind of long!

Karen

Congratulations on taking the plunge. I'm sure you will be much happier with their new life and so will they. I bought a 7 year old stallion (big horse) this spring and after watching how lonely he was,running his corral etc... I had him gelded. I don't breed any of my own mares and VERY few outside mares so he is now a happy gelding living with lots of friends instead of in solitary confinement for the rest of his life. He had lived in solitary for the first 7 years I figured he could live like a horse with all his friends for the remainder and he is truly much happier. I'm sure your boys will love being together once they are all healed up and ready to be together.

I have one soon-to-be gelding too and I understand the guilty feelings which is really kind of funny since I'm a dog trainer and am constantly telling people to neuter their pets.
wacko.gif

I think it's wonderful that you take your boy places. My grandmother was horse crazy and it would have been wonderful if someone would have done that for her. Now I finally have a pony gentle enough for her to love all over and it's too late, she passed away last June. My mom and I talk about loading Shadow up and taking him in. Maybe in the spring when the weather is nicer.

Thank you for sharing that part of your life with us.
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back