Well, I've seen it all now!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrystalPaths

Reaction score
Tonite I sat on my porch trying to cool off and watch my kids when Casey born 5/27) my lil bw colt, moseys up to Treasure, my 2 yr old 36" palomino filly and proceeds to "nurse"!
new_shocked.gif
I watched in total amazement as she just stood there and let him, then nudged his butt like a mom would....I can't believe it. I checked her bag when I brought her in and there is absolutely nothing there.

Now..anyone ever heard of this? Treasure is definitely NOT bred and not going to be be until next year. She's totally enamoured of the babies this year...all I could think was AWWWWW she's gonna be a great mama. And nope, didn't have my camera with me.
wacko.gif

I havent seen my filly nurse on a different mare, but I saw her nurse on my GELDING

Yep, When we got our little Amber she would go up and 'nurse' off our 2 1/2 year old Lacy. Lacy just stood there and let her. No, Lacy was not bred or even thinking about it but yep I also think with Lacy she will be a good mom...someday.

When I weaned a Colt I had, I put him in a stall with one of my maiden mares that wasn't bred at the time, and she had no bag what so ever and she let him nurse off of her! I thought the same thing...that mare is going to make a great momma.

That same mare had her first foal this year, a Colt....and is a great Mom!! When the colt was born she would lift her leg in the air and squat down some so he could nurse!
laugh.gif

I think your mare is going to be a great mom some day too!
smile.gif

Yep, I had a yearling filly that adopted one of my weanlings. She tolerated him trying to nurse off of her. I currently have a 7 month old filly that nurses off of her 1/2 brother a yearling gelding. Big brother just ignores her and puts up with it.

107141369.jpg

We had a little colt try to nurse off our gelding, Derby. Derby is such a sweet. laid-back guy, he actually let him! When the colt realized there was nothing there, he had such a surprised look on his face, it was comical to watch.

Sometimes those weanlings are just looking for a little comfort.

Back