Well, it happened...Robin is pregnant. Need a little assistance from the pros.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoebeq

Reaction score
Well, Robin was supposedly "sterile" due to undersized ovaries, but it looks like they grew up, lol. While this pregnancy is unexpected, it is not surprising, nor is it unwanted. I just wanted to state that ;) We are willing to do everything necessary to make sure that mom and baby are both safe through out this whole thing.

Here is my delima...

My Sis in Law is a vet (equine reproduction, to be exact)...we had a feeling that Robin might be pregnant since she was looking a little larger than her normal tubby self. She had also started to develop a slight bag, so my SIL palpated her while she was up here visiting this week. She felt a baby for sure. Said that the length of the "ball" (baby's head and neck were curled around) was approximately 12-14 inches and the legs were about and inch in diameter.

There are two possible sires in this situation. One would be Batman, whom left around September 17, 2011. The next would be Papa, a small pony stallion whom Robin was pastured with around January 17, 2012. Robin is looking very round. She is still very wide, so, it would appear that the baby has not moved into position as of yet.

Soooooo, my question is...do you think that she could still have 4 months to go if the baby is already that size? Or could she be in foal to Batman, and just be carrying a little longer?

Here are a few pics of the Momma from this morning:

DSC_8612-001.jpg

DSC_8601-001.jpg

DSC_8600-001.jpg

DSC_8595-001.jpg

DSC_8576-001.jpg

Just wanted to say congrats on your upcoming foal..

I would think if she is developing a bag that she will not hold out another 4 months but I guess it is possible. From the front/back shots she still looks very wide but the side shot she does look more dropped. Good luck!

What does your sister in law think? I would guess Batman because this doesn't look like a mare that has another 4 months to go, but I AM NOT A VET. Just my opinion. I would think your vet would be able to help you understand whether this baby could get born in the next month versus late Nov/early Dec.

My SIL is leaning towards Batman being the sire, and I am too for the most part, but that would honestly put her due NOW, and she just doesn't look ready to go at this exact moment, lol. I was just curious what some of the more experienced people thought
default_smile.png
I am going to be bringing her into the corral pretty quick here so that I can keep a closer eye on her.

I have to agree with the others, she may go almost a month past due, it is not unheard of, but I do not think she looks like a mare with 4+ months to go. Keep an eye on her back end relaxing, her tail head becoming prominent, squishy jello butt/hind quarters, elongiated vulva and her back and color /consistancy of milk. Good Luck!

I agree Batman. I think you only have about 2 weeks to go.

Good luck and will be looking for pictures!

Thanks for the input, everyone
default_smile.png
I am definitely keeping an eye on her bag, her vulva, and her tailhead. She isn't crazy about me checking milk, but I will keep working with her on it ;) I am with you guys...I think that she will go in the next month or so. I HOPE that she does...I really don't want a December baby.

I agree, she doesn't look like she's got nearly as long as 4mos to go. I look forward to seeing your upcoming foal
default_yes.gif

Nice to see you on here ( even if youre on my facebook).

I think it would have l be Batman's foal. I have some PH strips that I could send to you (free!) if you want them.

If you don't name this foal something Batman related I will hate you for....a little while. May I suggest either Bruce or Wayne for colt names? Lol.

Nice to see you on here ( even if youre on my facebook).

I think it would have l be Batman's foal. I have some PH strips that I could send to you (free!) if you want them.

If you don't name this foal something Batman related I will hate you for....a little while. May I suggest either Bruce or Wayne for colt names? Lol.
Holy donut hole Tremor! You almost read my mind...I was thinking Bruce Wayne for a colt and Vickie Vale or Batgirl for a filly! I predict labor Labor Day weekend.

Holy donut hole Tremor! You almost read my mind...I was thinking Bruce Wayne for a colt and Vickie Vale or Batgirl for a filly! I predict labor Labor Day weekend.
I would also suggest some villons such as the Joker, Bane, Harvey Dent, Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy, The Riddler, Dr. Johnathon Crane (The Scarecrow aka the guy in Arkham Asylum in Batman Begins)

There is a crap ton but I love all of them. It would be hard to name the foal in my opinion because you could go many different ways; you could use their nickname (such as Two-Face) or their real name (Harvey Dent.) OR, you could use one for normal happy days (Harvey Dent) and when you're scolding them use their evil nickname (Two-Face)

I think it'd be cute.

EDIT: There are enough male and female characters that you could choose from...

EDIT: Looking at Robin's bag I would guess from my own experience that she's at most a month and a half away. Most of my mares have had a bag that big at least a month in advance. If you need PH strips just send me your address. They save A LOT of time and are so easy to use.

Last edited by a moderator:
My mom was looking over my shoulder at the pictures and after I explained the story she was like "Well, she better name this foal Joker!" lol

Lol @ Tremor...I am thinking Joker for a Colt and Ivy for a filly
default_smile.png
Thanks for the offer of pH strips, but I don't know that I will get any use out of them, if she doesn't start letting me check her milk. Although I haven't tried to do it while she is haltered, lol.

Lol @ Tremor...I am thinking Joker for a Colt and Ivy for a filly
default_smile.png
Thanks for the offer of pH strips, but I don't know that I will get any use out of them, if she doesn't start letting me check her milk. Although I haven't tried to do it while she is haltered, lol.
Halters help. I've only had one mare not require a halter....but she's been through this a few too many times. ;)

Once I get her in the corral, I am gonna start messing with her a lot more. It is mostly laziness right now as half of the time, they are all at the opposite end of 17 acres, lol ;)

I'm very sure she's in foal to Batman and that she'll foal SOON (any day now) Keep a close watch on her please!

Your topic title startled me! Robin is pregnant..........WHAT? No I'm not! LOL!!!

signed,

Robin

Well, you have officially made me paranoid, lol. I went ahead and moved fatty into my backyard. There is enough green stuff to do her until I can get some hay
default_smile.png
I did try to get some milk, since I already had her halter on. I couldn't get any at all
default_sad.png
She wasn't the most cooperative little gal in the world, but I was able to squeeze enough to where I would think that I would have gotten at least a little. I hope she gets milk soon...

Well, you have officially made me paranoid, lol. I went ahead and moved fatty into my backyard. There is enough green stuff to do her until I can get some hay
default_smile.png
I did try to get some milk, since I already had her halter on. I couldn't get any at all
default_sad.png
She wasn't the most cooperative little gal in the world, but I was able to squeeze enough to where I would think that I would have gotten at least a little. I hope she gets milk soon...

I would keep an eye on her. I had a maiden who didn't produce milk until she foaled. She did the same thing when she had her 2nd foal.

Well, I hope that she produces milk when the foal is born! Now I am even more paranoid...I think that I will see if I can get some foal replacement milk when I go to town.

I would not worry about getting the milk out right now. Most of my maiden mares, I couldn't get milk from them until the day of or a couple of days before. I think you will get some out when she is REAL close. Just keep trying so she gets use to being touched there. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back