Well, I made the decision to geld both stallions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBennettp

Reaction score
People that know me know that I am not a breeder. We have had 3 foals born here in the last 20 or so years. I have made the decision to geld both of my stallions. They will be happier when they can run with the herd and I will be happier because it will be much easier to take care of them without them being separated.

I have had some people tell me that I should sell my older stallion and not geld him but I am very attached to him, I don't want to sell him and there is no reason to keep a stallion.

The young stallion is maturing nicely and will make a wonderful gelding.

If more people would make this decision, there would be a lot fewer minis in rescues or worse. When there are minis going through auctions that are breed specific and not selling for enough to cover the cost of the registration, it is time to take a stand.

I am gelding my champion producer as well as a very nice colt as my contribution to lessening the amount of stallions out there. I never have understood why so many refuse to geld their minis, if they were big horses there would be no hesitation at all.

My boys will be joining the other two geldings within the next month.

Mary

I applaud you for making this decision and agree - if more would geld, then we could stop the over population out there! I made the decision to stop breeding this season owing to similar problems here in NZ. People were telling me I shouldn't but hey - why breed more just because I can?

Good on you!

May I ask how old your stallion is?

We are no longer breeding and I've wondered about gelding an older man
default_smile.png

This year I gelded a 2 year old, a 9 year old (who turned out to be a bleeder...), and an 18 year old. The 18 year old never missed a step. He did not swell up and did not get sore either. Of course he is a very active boy and I'm sure that helped him out alot. I personally believe that they need lots and lots of movement for at least three weeks after the first day of the procedure, it seems to keep the swelling down. I will admit though that I have a 22 year old that I am too scared to geld because he is a very lazy laid back boy and it would destroy me if something happened to him. Luckily he does not act at all like a stallion and so presents no problem to keep as one. The 18 year old
default_thud.gif
pure aggressive stallion and I HAD to do something!! Good Luck whatever your decision.

I have an appointment next week to geld a stallion. He's an awesome boy, would make a great stallion but he'll be an even nicer gelding. I'm like you Mary. I was worried about his happiness and want him to enjoy life as part of the herd. There aren't enough homes out there as it is for all the minis being born. Here's to gelding!

I geld mine as soon as my vet will do them. He wont do them under 4 mths.

When I geld anybody I always make sure I have a couple days of work and

I walk them every hour for 15 mins at least each for the first 2 days. I always

stable them separate but with someone beside them or that they know there

is someone else in the barn.

It is a lot of work but thank goodness it has worked for me.

This is about the only breed where keeping stallions intact is not seen as a problem. I've seen so many folks buy a little colt for cheap, then next thing you know they are looking for mares because their $50 purchase has SUCH a nice mane and tail that they KNOW he is World Champion quality and they KNOW they can make lots of money breeding and selling the foals for big bucks!!!! If you go to a AQHA or Arabian show, their biggest classes are the GELDING classes!! I have 1 stallion - he's a World Grand Champion Senior Stallion. His son who is turning out very nice, will be gelded as soon as I can because I don't need him, but my grand daughter needs a good show horse next year!! (She's 2, might be the next year!! LOL) . I have another young stallion that is doing well in the show ring, but he would make a great gelding too.

I've alway heard that a good Stallion makes a greater gelding. Geldings are so much easier to take care of since they can go out with the other horses and they seem to be happier. Plus they have an easier time keeping their mind on what they are doing.

My older stallion is 13 and the other is a yearling. They will be turned out with the other geldings, one of which was 12 when gelded and the other was 8. My mature stallion is very quiet and laid back. He is not a problem at all in any way but I have watched him yearn to go out to pasture with the rest of the herd or stand in his pen and watch the other horses and I can tell he is lonely even though they are across the fence from him.

The younger stallion is a handful most of the time and the decision to geld him came a lot easier, I can't have an agressive horse, we have little kids that visit the barn on a regular basis.

The oldest I have personally ever had gelded was 22. He was a rescue and therefore was gelded before being re-homed. He did just fine and made a wonderful family horse.

I have always been a big fan of geldings and always have had at least a couple around. This will give me 4 geldings and 5 mares.

Good for you. We have plans to geld our 2012 colt as soon as my vet will do it, and long range plans to geld our stallion Buckshot who has produced awesome babies for us. I imagine there are other breeders who would love to breed their mares to him, but he is ours so we will geld him when we are ready to quit breeding. As a stallion our 4-Hers can't work with him but as a gelding, he will be a great project mini. He is already a Pinto Champion, jumps, does halter obstacle and is green broke to drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back