Weird Question~ Dog vs Mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple things that haven't been mentioned, I think...I'm a little tired.
If you're keeping a mini at home they will need company, a dog has you for company.
You have experience with training dogs, do you have experience training horses? If not you need to factor in the cost of lessons.

Yeah, I have another dog that has the drive and stamina and would probably pull, but he is a hunting breed dog and follows his nose. Those sudden 90 degree turns at full speed are not conducive to good health. 🤣
I was thinking of that also. The breed of dog would be a big factor.

Yeah, I have another dog that has the drive and stamina and would probably pull, but he is a hunting breed dog and follows his nose. Those sudden 90 degree turns at full speed are not conducive to good health. 🤣
The most common bikejoring dogs are actually hunting breeds! German shorthairs being the most common of those. There's even some people who use sight hounds, though I wouldn't be brave enough for that lmao
A couple things that haven't been mentioned, I think...I'm a little tired.
If you're keeping a mini at home they will need company, a dog has you for company.
You have experience with training dogs, do you have experience training horses? If not you need to factor in the cost of lessons.
True! I didn't even think about the price of training.

Large breed dogs have a very short life span, 10-12 years, compared to 20-30+ years for a mini.
So their productive time would be pretty short just a few years, compared to a couple decades with a mini.

However, due to their size they tend to have joint issues, especially doing something like driving.

I don't know what the weight % is for dogs to pull, I'm sure that number would be like the minis, it all depends...level pavement/solid dirt...hilly dirt...grass...deep sand.

As for companionship, I absolutely LOVE my minis. The ones I take out boardjoring are awesome companions with the plus side that I don't have to worry about them wanting to go after another animal or human. (I see this often when out on public trails).
I belive it is around 3x their weight when pulling something with wheels for dogs. The short lifespan of dogs is less desierable but I think it evens out, as you can train the animal yourself, and the feed/vetting costs are typically lower over the span of the animals life.

Latest posts

Back