Weight Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willow Flats

Reaction score
Hi,
My gelding is 34", probably around 260 lbs. I have an easy entry cart and have never taken a passenger. There is a girl that wants me to teach her to drive. I weigh 135 lbs and she is slender...not over 95 lbs most likely. Then there is the weight of the cart. We would be on flat mowed pasture but it is a little bumper than a paved roadway. I am not comfortable putting her in the cart on her own to start. She takes riding lessons but isn't the most assertive. Should I be concerned about this weight and how it affects the balance of the cart?

I've taught 2 other people to drive by having them get in the cart themselves but they were adults and she has just turned 12. Also maybe I should have her practice ground driving him first?

The weight factor is my biggest concern.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.!

I can only offer a guess as I don't really know the horse and circumstances. But I would think a 34 inch well built horse would be able to do just fine with you both in there as long as it is on the flat. Keep the sessions short and monitor your gelding. There are some people at our shows that would weigh that combination of pounds and most of the horses do just fine.

Also see your point about more weight on 1 side of the cart because 1 person would be sitting in the middle and the weight would be more balanced. I doubt that would matter, my husband has taken his niece for a drive with our 33.5 inch mare and she goes great that way.

Thank you. I just measured him and he is actually 35". The balance I was thinking of was front to back....if the added weight would pull the shafts up too much for the girth comfort.

I weigh 250 and regularly drive my 32-34" minis in competition. I have even taken passengers. Don't go in deep sand and you will be alright. Remember the weight is not on them if the cart is balanced. They are just rolling it. If the cart is balanced the balance will stay the same no matter the weight. The weight is on the wheels.

Back