Weight of 12 month old

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emma Lazarus

Reaction score
I measured my boy yesterday. He is 36" around heart. 37" from middle of chest to under tail and 39" to middle of top of tail and 30" tall. I pulled the tape tight while measuring around his girth. Need to know how underweight he is.

There is a weight calculator on this page: http://www.lilbeginnings.com/info/feeding/

How does he feel? have you felt through his hair? There should be a light layer of flesh and muscle covering his spine, hips and ribs: if you readily feel bone, he's too thin; if you have to press to feel bone he's getting too chubby.
What is his build? How tall is he expected to mature?
I have large minis, and don't have measurements on a 12 month old, but do for some 4 month olds. 29.5" colts, 34" heartgirth and 28" length, and they weighed around 105-110; they matured at 37" tall.

You need to press firmly to feel ris and his spine is a bit discernable, his hips are jutting out a bit. I did a fecal and all he had was strongyloides. Blood work was normal and have changed an increased his diet.

What is his exact current diet? Feed? How much? Hay; type and how much?
Sounds like he might need a bit more protein in his diet, but let's see what's he's currently getting first.

He is freefed orchard and alfalfa and there is always hay left over. Two heaping scoops of a mix of beet pulp and alfalfa pellet mash, 1 lb lmf senior feed.
His parents are both around 32".

He is freefed orchard and alfalfa and there is always hay left over. Two heaping scoops of a mix of beet pulp and alfalfa pellet mash, 1 lb lmf senior feed.
His parents are both around 32".
How big of a scoop? It sounds like he should be getting enough.
Is he up to date on his deworming?

Had fecal done and all he had was strongyle eggs so dewormed him for that. Will follow up with another fecal after deworming in 6 weeks.
I can post a photo of how much he gets tomorrow.

Back