Weight bulider for dogs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniforFaith

Reaction score
Hi all, I was just wondering if anyone has any idea what is best to use to get weight on a dog? Hoss, our shepard mix is just so hyper that no matter what we feed him he still looks thin. He is very healthy, just always in overdrive. I would have thought by now he would have slowed down, but no such luck. (he is going to be 6yrs and still acts like a 6 mo, puppy on full speed.

Thanks..

You can try adding things like raw hamburger ( the cheap fatty stuff)

what type of food are you currently feeding and how much?

My dobe bitch is very active thanks to an annoying neighbor whom she hates. If he is home she runs the fence nonstop. She is currently getting 8-10 cups of ONE per day!

My Border Collie is very active too... I feed Natural Balance and they do well on that. He keeps his weight on nicely and his hair coat looks great too.

I hear ya loud and clear! Amy's a bag of bones half the time stuck in overdrive as well. She's like the energizer bunny, never stops, never stops, runs runs runs......wears me out just watching her.

She gets Nutro but I also have her now on Gravy Train which seems to be helping her maintain a bit better.

I cook her boneless chicken breasts with rice a couple times a week, hamburger, left overs and tonite she gets pot roast, and Little Ribbie here on the forum told me to give her some canned pumpkin! Makes for some very serious orange poo but she loves the stuff, go figure.

Have you tried making him some satin balls? They are great for helping a dog gain and maintain weight. It can also be fed as a complete diet, but anyone I know that uses it only gives them as "treats" and the dogs love them. I have posted the recipe before but if you didnt see it...here it is again.

[SIZE=10pt]10 pounds hamburger meat [the cheapest kind][/SIZE]1 lg. box of Total cereal

1 lg. box oatmeal

1 jar of wheat germ

1 1/4 cup veg oil

1 1/4 cup of unsulfured molasses

10 raw eggs AND shells

10 envelopes of unflavored gelatin

pinch of salt

[SIZE=10pt]Mix all ingredients together, much like you would a meatloaf.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Divide into 10 quart freezer bags and freeze.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Thaw as needed and feed raw![/SIZE]

Satin balls are the best thing we have ever found in my families years of having dogs. My parents bred and showed different breeds for 30 years, and my sister is a rescue worker. We have yet to see a dog who satin balls did not work for.

Wanted to mention we usually make ours into "meatballs" and freeze on a tray, then throw them all into ziplock bags once frozen. You can then thaw only what you need for the day.

For maitenance my 70 lb German shepherd ate 4 per day after we got her weight up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard great things about Nutri-Cal for adding calories and encouraging dogs to eat more.

Our Maltese tends to be a hard-keeper -- it took forever to get her to a good weight. She is very attached to me and the dog-feeding station is at the opposite end of the house from my office and the bedroom, so she hated being down there by herself. I began bringing an extra bowl into my office to encourage. One night when we ran out of our regular food and had to buy a bag of "junk" dog food, we learned she LOVED this stuff. So I fed that and then gradually mixed in more and more of the good food, until now she loves the good food.

Back