Weight advice

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocklone Miniature Horses

past member -I gotta get a life...
Reaction score
I have a 15yo mare mini-shet who is 32" and i plan to get her hitched up slowly of course, not having any problems. My other is 30" fala x amha so a lot finer. Not gonna lie, i'm a good weight and i don't want to put them under any undue strain (esp as the mare is going into foal)

What is the max, car included, weight?

What type of terrain are you planning on driving in? Flat? Hills? Sandy? Knowing that will help determine the weight your mini can comfortably pull & also will impact advice on wheel configuration, etc. For example,wooden wheels, because they are more narrow,will sink into sand, while a pneumatic tire will roll over the top of it.

I have a wooden Jerald runabout with pneumatic tires. My horse is 32" and I weigh around 145. He has no trouble hauling me and another adult passenger and my 20# dog on a smooth road for a couple of miles. He has no trouble with just me for any driving we do, but I would not ask him to do lots of hills or soft footing with 2 adults. He is 17. He is fine with a double load for parades or a little jaunt.

My retired brood mare is also 32", but she is finer built. Since she is new to driving and has not built up good muscle yet, I would not like to see her carrying a 250 # person, or two adults, for very far. But we go 2 miles fairly often. She is 21 years old.

Make sure the tires have the appropriate air pressure--that makes a huge difference in ease of work.

A very tall or very large person might need a B size horse.

I'll add a photo here of a visit we made to a nursing home. The passenger was an Aid there. She was a delightful woman, but you can see she was on the chunky side. My sister is driving; her stallion is 32". They were on a smooth rode and only went about 1/4 mile. The Aid asked for a ride after all the residents had finished, and we did not like to refuse. Notice the tires; they were not inflated properly.

blackmoore.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ill be driving mainly on tarmac / concrete, it is just a little thing i'm hoping will keep her fit and trim as she is a balloon. Sometimes grass in the dry summers.

The weight consideration and road surface is something to think about for sure. I've had my older mare out several times and I really feel, after observing her, that she is too finely built for harness work with a heavy load. I will not ask her to "push" two adults in my cart, though she is fine with me and the dog on a smooth road. If she had been driving for many years it might be different. But at her age, I am not sure she can develop the muscle tone now. I will continue to enjoy her for short pleasure outings or a parade.

Latest posts

Back