weepy, drippy eye

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suz

Reaction score
My guy's left eye has been very drippy, allergy-like for the past couple of weeks. my friend says it is probably allergies, but it has been going on for too long for allergies I would think. plus, wouldn't both eyes be seepy/drippy if it was allergies?

should I call the vet to check for a scratched cornea or something?
unsure.gif

I am using some Clear Eyes solution by Farnham to cleanse out anything that might be irritating his eye.

Anyone experience this lately? And if so, what would you recommend?

Thanks alot.

p.s. he refuses to wear his fly mask, so I know that's not bothering him.

My gray mares eyes water bad all summer long, guess its a toss whether its from the bright sun or allergies so she wears a fly mask which stops the watering. Since yours doesnt like it, I would still use it and see what happens.

Hey Suz, my appy mare had a similar problem. Sometimes it was one eye, sometimes both, sometimes it was clear and sometimes it was "gluey" and gross. I had my vet look at her and we got some super expensive ointments and drops which worked for a time but it always came back in the end. Do you know what finally fixed it? TEABAGS! Yep, you heard right. I sent her out to be bred and when she came back her eyes were normal... I asked the breeder what she did to fix it, and she said that every morning she'd been wiping them with used wet teabags. Cleared it right up. So now, if someone has a weepy eye, I run inside to make myself a cup of tea
biggrin.gif

I had a couple of horses do that, and I had the vet out. He told me my grass was too tall and to keep it short because when they graze they get grass in their eyes which caused the weepy eyes. As long as I bush hog and keep the grass short my horses don't have the weepy eyes.

Meg said:
Do you know what finally fixed it? TEABAGS! Yep, you heard right. I sent her out to be bred and when she came back her eyes were normal... I asked the breeder what she did to fix it, and she said that every morning she'd been wiping them with used wet teabags. Cleared it right up. So now, if someone has a weepy eye, I run inside to make myself a cup of tea 
biggrin.gif

439375[/snapback]

Meg, does it matter what type of tea bag to use? Strange... I've never heard of this before...

Thanks for everyone's replies
smile.gif

Doesn't sound like a major emergency at this point, but I'll definately keep an eye on him and if it does get worse, I'll prob have the vet take a look to be sure.

I did talk to the girl who boards him and she said his eye area was dry last night so that is GREAT!
aktion033.gif
She's going to continue putting those Clear Eyes drops in his eye to be sure whatever caused it is rinsed out.

I think I'll have her put the fly mask back on him too Could be the bright light - Thanks guys.
yes.gif

Marion - tall grass does make sense, but that's where he LOVES to graze, and being a border, I don't have much say in when they cut their grass!
no.gif

My appy pattern mini filly had runny eyes but the use of the fly mask totally cleared it up. we have sandy soil and with the dry conditions (no rain) and wind, she seems to get irritated eyes easily. the face mask took care of it totally.

jennifer
saludando.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back