WeeOkie Farm Update

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeeOkie

Reaction score
It's been over 3 weeks ago now, and what a life changing experience. Did not have internet for over 2 weeks, then went on a planned vacation/reunion in Georgia for 6 days. Now I'm home, well, if you can call a little red barn a home. We were so lucky to find this little place only 3 miles from the farm.

It's what our hay farmer lived in while they built their own home. And it's quite enough for the 2 of us. Maybe having to spend Christmas here is not the ideal situation!

Our house and one other out of the 8 in our acreage addition were not totally destroyed. Our insurance adjuster has said $119,000 to repair. The first estimate we have gotten says $150,000. So maybe we have a fight in front of us with the insurance company. And that's just the house. We lost all our fencing and stallion sheds/ runs, plus considerable damage to our 2 barns. Lost our hay storage with 80 bales of hay and 4 brand new round bales/rings (which had just been put in the day before, the hay that is.)

We had a lot of offers (which we so much appreciated) to take horses. I did send out two stallions to a friend, but the rest are packed in to 2 areas where we were able to stand the fencing back up and secure with T-posts. But at least I have them all with me. And praise the Lord for answered prayers -- they all survived with only some minor injuries --4 ulcerated eyes, 1 gashed chest, several limping, and one even survived a swim in the neighbor's swimming pool.

Fencing has been top priority. Most of the posts and top rails are up for 4 fields, gates to be hung this weekend. Trying to save money by doing it ourselves, well, our son and friends. Our insurance was very lacking for our outside facilities. So the donations that we are so grateful for will be used to help with fencing and buy new feeders,sheds, etc.

With so much local damage, we expect the house to take forever to repair, as builders are at a premium. BTW, if you haven't heard, there were 8 tornadoes in Oklahoma that day May 24th. The one that hit us was an EF-5 (the highest category), was from 1/2 to 1 mile wide and was on the ground for 75 miles. The scars will remain for many years, perhaps forever. Our beautiful wooded area with creek behind our house has lost at least half its trees, many just broken over and dying. Not so beautiful anymore!

Thankfully no human lives were lost in our little neighborhood.

Rita

I'm thankful you're still with us Rita! I'm sorry that happened to you. It sounds like you have a year or two of fight on your hands! The only thing I was able to offer was to take in a few of your horses. I'm glad you got to keep most of them near you.

I just wanted to say {{{{HUGS}}}}

Rita, your ordeal sounds so unreal. I am so sorry. Thats a huge tornado, its hard to believe no one in your town lost thier lives. I sure hope the insurance companies step up to the plate and do the right thing for every one in your area. Were you the one that had the big horse end up in the pool? I read about it and found that amazing. Glad to see your horses stayed realtively unharmed...dont get me wrong gashes, limping and ulcerated eyes are nothing to take lightly, but when you think of what could have happened...oh lord! Someone just mentioned the weather has been in the 100's around your area....please be careful working and doing repairs in that sort of heat...I know it has to get done but every one is safe and sound now so there is no need to work your selves crazy.

hugs and well wishes headed your way.

Heidi

Glad to hear you & your horses survived with no lives lost. Barns, fencing etc can be replaced. I know it will take time but at least you are all okay.

Rita, thanks so much for posting the update. I've been thinking about you and wondering how the clean up, repair and rebuilding has been going.

I know it was overwhelming when Charlotte and I were out the day after it happened. But, I'm sure things have sort of started to come together now and it's easier to focus on what needs to be done.

Good luck with all of it and keep us updated as we want to know.

Rita

I just cannot imagine what you all are going through. I pray the Ins companies will not be stupid and settle claims quickly so you can all rebuild and move forward with your life.

Im so thankful your horses do not have major injuries and that you were all safe. Although like said above any injury is a bad one! Especially if your barn and house are destroyed.

You guys are in my thoughts and prayers

Hi Rira,

It is good to have you back and posting on the internet again. I am glad to hear that repairs to your fencing is coming along. I am sure this heat is making the work miserable. Thanks for the update.

Barbara

Good to hear everyone is okay.

I can only imagine what it was like.

We just had a storm today go through here and it pealed off my barn roof AND it was not a tornado.

That was scary enough. Glad to hear you are doing okay.

Thanks for taking the time for the updated post. You have been on my mind. Glad things are starting to get back to normal.

So, tell me about the mini in the swimming pool!?

Is there going to be a filly raffle at the OK show next weekend? With you getting the proceeds?

I was planning on going until my doxie had to have back surgery this week. $$ching ching$$

I wanted to buy some raffle tickets. I would like to know if I can still buy some, and who to contact.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Rita, so glad to hear your progress! Your big guy in the swimming pool made the TV news down here! It must be an unbelievable amount of damage to contend with, but so fortunate there were no serious injuries. The tornado that pretty much wiped out the town of Jarrell down here a number of years ago was also an F-5. Many were killed and entire houses were gone, including the foundations.

Good luck with your repairs & rebuilding!

Jan

Rita, thank you for posting. We wonder and wonder but don't want to be calling and be a bother when there is so much on your mind. We 'assume' that you will let us know if there is something you need that we can help with????

We missed you at PtHA this year and will miss you and Tiffany and boys next weekend.

Charlotte

Thanks for taking the time for the updated post. You have been on my mind. Glad things are starting to get back to normal.

So, tell me about the mini in the swimming pool!?

Is there going to be a filly raffle at the OK show next weekend? With you getting the proceeds?

I was planning on going until my doxie had to have back surgery this week. $$ching ching$$

I wanted to buy some raffle tickets. I would like to know if I can still buy some, and who to contact.

Thanks
Susan, to answer your questions:

The mini in the swimming pool was we assume picked up and carried in by the tornado -- my son jumped in to save her. We don't know exatly how long she had to swim!

I haven't heard anything about an auction, but did hear there would be a silent auction of other things (to help us out). Maybe Charlotte or Becky can come on and let you know. If there are raffle tickets, they would probably know who is handling it.

I'm sorry to hear about your doxie having to have surgery. Love the breed, and once had to have surgery on one of ours. Sure hope yours does as well as our did. She lived to a ripe old age.

Rita, so glad to hear your progress! Your big guy in the swimming pool made the TV news down here! It must be an unbelievable amount of damage to contend with, but so fortunate there were no serious injuries. The tornado that pretty much wiped out the town of Jarrell down here a number of years ago was also an F-5. Many were killed and entire houses were gone, including the foundations.

Good luck with your repairs & rebuilding!

Jan
Jan, ours was a mini, but did hear about the big horse in the pool.

Rita, thank you for posting. We wonder and wonder but don't want to be calling and be a bother when there is so much on your mind. We 'assume' that you will let us know if there is something you need that we can help with????

We missed you at PtHA this year and will miss you and Tiffany and boys next weekend.

Charlotte
Thank you, Charlotte. I would like to get away for a few hours and come down to Chickasha, but just don't know. Would also like to go to Ada to watch one of my R mares make her driving debut!

Latest posts

Back