WeeFoal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taya

Reaction score
How accurate are the weefoal tests?

I got a positive test (same as the one on their website) no confusion at all as to the result. However how often do false positives occur? The only thing im concerned about is I had the urine and test out on the bench for roughly half an hour before testing to get them the same temperature. However due to very cold weather they were both on the cooler side (urine and test) not fridge cold but cold weather cold. Would this affect the test. Hoping this mare is bred but due to being pasture bred im not sure.

Thanks

I actually talked to the customer service several times about the accuracy of the wee foal tests.

From what they told me, the tests are very sensitive, but false positives are very rare. Mainly the reasons for false positives are contamination of the collection, from bacteria growth, say from collecting in a dirty container, or from not diluting the urine. I would personally run the test in the house at room temp not outside. I would contact Susan at customer service to ask her opinion about running the test in cold weather.

How far along do you think your mare may be?

I totally understand what your going through. I am in the same boat with my mare!

False positives are very rare. False negatives are more likely and usually caused from not testing in the right window of time. If your test shows clearly positive, I'd say you have nothing to worry about except sleepless nights waitiing for foaling.

Hi Bonny

I ran the test inside but it was a cold day (inside house aswell) so wondered.

The urine was collected in a clean cup and added to the dilutant as per the instructions.

Anywhere from 90 - 130 days
default_wacko.png
She was pasture bred so it could perhaps be slighty longer

Have been reading your thread and feel for you. Id be mad by now !

False positives are very rare. False negatives are more likely and usually caused from not testing in the right window of time. If your test shows clearly positive, I'd say you have nothing to worry about except sleepless nights waitiing for foaling.
Thanks I sure hope youre right!! It was a very very clear positive no faint second line etc. so fingers crossed
default_smile.png
I just didnt think she was in foal so it a wonderful suprise just dont want to be let down. I have another one so may test again in a few weeks to be sure lol

Goodness!!!!

Im in Australia

Its been pouring with rain for about a fortnight
default_sad.png
not very happy horses here

Songcatcher, I know your pain, I am in Houston Texas area! Dieing of the heat and humidity we are!

Poor Bonny is about to melt!

Taya, how about pics of the Mom to be???!
default_smile.png

The weefoal tests are EXTREMELY ACCURATE! They have been developed by a Vet and they are amazing!

Nathan, I used to see you on a "big horse" forum. Equine site, COTH or Equichat???? Anyway, I know you have a ton of knowledge on breeding and I totally respect your input, but PLEASE e-mail weefoal for information on this test. Even my local equine hospital Says it's accurate. Please do some research on it!
default_smile.png
It really is awesome!!

Joyce

My specialty is reproductive physiology
default_smile.png
I don't recall how exactly the test works, but I seem to recall that its not very accurate. I've heard a lot of displeased owner's results with it. If it was as acurate as a vet, vets would be out of business :p

I used to post on equinesite before I left in disgust. I'm still quite active on Equichat.

No way would it replace a Vet! LOL!! It's not even usefull until the mare is at least 120 days pregnant! So it's great for the people that refuse to pay a Vet for their services early on in pregnancy. Which I personally don't understand mind you, because the twin thing scares me to death. But from what I see on this forum, tons of people wait until they can "feel" the foal at 5-6 months or so. From what I see, most people seem to use it later in pregnancy rather than early on. But I sure don't hear of any false Positives!

default_thumbup.gif
In my personal experience with WeeFoal, I have found it to be 100% ACCURATE if used according to the enclosed directions/intructions.
default_yes.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Thanks for the advice.

Just wanted to say in no way will this test replace veterinary care!!! Our nearest vet that does ultrasound is a few hours away so wanted to do this first
default_smile.png

Fingers crossed
default_smile.png

I've been using these tests for a number of years. Provided all instructions are followed we have never had an issue. Was involved with the development of the tests and only ever had one in doubt. We did have some interesting urine samples collected which gave use some weird results, but soon figured out it was the MARE at fault, not the TEST. That particular mare actually helped refine the test!

Do you know what your room temperature was that morning?????

Here I've got the ability to send the urine samples to the actual lab who makes these tests - check with your rep to see if there is a lab that they use to run the urine if the test is in doubt.

And yes, they do not replace vet services. I have found them very handy for double checking those pesky maiden mares to see if they have held to service. Also just for the breeder who has a healthy mare and just wants to see if they are in foal and not spend over $100 finding out!

Well I couldnt help myself and ran another test lol this one was a very!!! clear positive aswell
default_smile.png

The temperature was normal (not cold like yesterday)

So looks like we will be making the trip to get her ultrasounded
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back