Weeds

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim P

Reaction score
So I put weed b gone on this and it does not seem to be working. I just put it on yesterday evening. It said it starts working in 24 hours. I can't tell a difference. I burnt a patch of my best grass off trying to kill it. Everything burnt but what you see. What is this and how do I kill it. The horses don't eat it either.

image.jpg

I could be evening primrose. If your horses won't eat it, don't worry too much. Take some into your local nursery or extension office and find out for sure.

I would worry more about the herbicide you used. It is 2 4D.

Better to just use plain Roundup.

I have some roundup. I just did not want to kill the grass. I guess I will just have little spots out there for awhile if I put the roundup out. Living on this iron ore rock it is hard for me to have pretty grass.

Then on top of the iron ore, the horses are eating the grass lol. Sorry but its a never ending cycle. As for the weed not even reacting, sounds like it has adapted well. Ditto on taking it in to get looked at.

2 4D kills broad leaf plants, not grass plants. That is probably why you chose it. But it is a hormone, and can affect vegetation around you that you didn't intend to treat. It can volatilize and become airborne. I, personally, believe it should be banned.

If your grass is still dormant there, as ours is, the Roundup will not hurt it. We are spraying Roundup around here now. You can dribble the Roundup on the undesirable plants and kill them without hurting your grass.

Do you know for sure the plant you showed is something you don't want? If you are aiming for a flawless lawn, then you may want to use a preemergent now.

There are quite a few topics on the forum about herbicides.

I think it is fun to watch all the different spring plants that horses browse upon! I lay on the ground by my horses sometimes and watch them graze.

No I am not looking for flawless, just real grass. That weed is everywhere. Once upon a time I was grateful for anything green to cover this yard. I just want it gone from that particular spot mostly. That is my really good grass. The best grass in my whole yard. It is like a pillow, thick and plush.

I can't believe round up is illegal. Lol

Goldilocks, that sounds like my plant. Grows in barren land! That is me, along with Johnson grass!

Marsha I am going to have to check into that.

Yes Rebecca, I am fighting a losing battle! Lol

Sorry, I don't recognize your weed. But I would like to comment on Round-Up and 2,4-D.

1.) Round-Up will kill grass if mixed strong enough. The bane of my existence is buttercups. I had some really bad patches on the edges of our lawn; I used concentrated glyphosate (round-up) and only diluted it by about half the label directions. Then I sprayed the heck out of the thickest areas of buttercups. ...really soaked them. Everything died: buttercups, grass, etc. I had some huge dead patches. I rinsed liberally and re-planted lawn grass. I nursed the grass seeds, but they just never sprouted well. That was last year. This year, all of these areas are now infested with buttercups again. ...and not one blade of grass.

I'm not a fan of round-up. For the cost (even now, with it being available as a generic) it doesn't work like the TV commercials. The first place I tested it was on our long gravel driveway; at best (in addition to only working on broadleaf weeds) it only knocked down the "easy" weeds. Anything with a deep taproot just regrew. And even the shallow rooted, broadleaf weeds regrew within 3 months or so. I just don't think it's cost-effective.

2.) I agree with Marsha Cassada's concerns about 2,4-D. The other problem we have here are blackberries. So I spent an inordinate amount of time researching 2,4-D, agent orange, dioxins, etc. It is challenging sifting through any information out there, because of the "agent orange" slant. I'm not a chemist, but I think some of that is "shock value" from the "anti-everything" crowd. But as a lay-person, I really don't feel comfortable (after reading about longevity, puzzling over the difference between 2,4-D vice 2,4-DT, etc.) where I would let a horse anywhere near anything that had 2,4-D on it. On a positive note: Baby likes to eat blackberry leaves, so she's doing her part for the cause.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I could just pluck the ones in the burnt area and use round up elsewhere. Not in my good grass. ThT is where the horses will hang out mostly this summer. Tall shade and thick lush grass to eat and lay on. That is if I did not kill it by burning it off.

If a pregnant mare eats the Round-Up treated grass, especially if newly sprayed, expect her to abort in about 24-36 hrs.

Just a FYI. Been there!

If a pregnant mare eats the Round-Up treated grass, especially if newly sprayed, expect her to abort in about 24-36 hrs.
uhhh, I forgot to mention that I never use any chemicals on pasture, or even near pasture fences (like, where lawn clippings could blow the horsies direction) etc.

We have no plans for pregnant mares, but based on what I've researched, I don't think I'd allow a pregnant mare on our lawn (which appears to have lotsa' fescue.) I have no idea whether our lawn fescue is endophyte free or whether our lawn was seeded with the stuff that is aimed at golf courses. ...from what I've read, that too can cause abortion???

I guess I am not going to put anything at all on anything. I am just going to let them eat it all. That way I have no worries. Especially with a new little colt eating it too. I let little peanut roam the yard and eat all the green around the house. Sometimes I hold Patty on a lead and let her eat eat the tall grass in places. She is faster than a weed eater. Lol. Not really but she is fast. Peanut is slow. Wishbone eats but he is constantly watching for something.

Latest posts

Back