Weed control?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi*

Reaction score
What do you use for weed control along your fence lines? We have hot wire running with our fencing and I need to keep the grass and weeds away from it. My "herd" doesn't eat around the fence lines because of the hot wire. Is there a safe weed killer to use around animals or will all of them be toxic?

Thanks so much
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
We weedeat around our fence lines -- but also my husband will spray around the fence lines -- I am not sure what it is called but it is like roundup -- it kills everything in the area -- so he just sprays around the fence line and then we leave the horses off the pasture for a week or so after he sprays just to be safe
default_smile.png

Good Luck!

If you can't keep them away from the weedkiller, and want a safer alternative, try white vinigar. I have a bunch of cats and hate to put anything real toxic around my yard, so I use white vinigar full strength to kill the weeds in the rock landscaping. It's cheap too! For super power you could also add salt to the vinigar and that will kill just about anything. Just put it in a sprayer and go to work! Good luck!

I, too, use vinegar whenever possible. It's especially good on thistles. It's not especially effective on grass.

You can purchase a more concentrated form of vinegar at some gardening supply stores, but I haven't checked on its safety for animals. Table-strength vinegar is perfectly safe.

Beware that vinegar, unlike Roundup and many herbicides, remains active in the ground and can affect surrounding plants. Don't use it close to any plants you really want to keep.

I have not heard of the vinegar thing before. I will have to try it out! We have several HUGE thistles growing out there that it should take care of!

P.S. I do have a goat. But the pasture is far too big for her to take care of all the fence lines
default_biggrin.png

Thanks so much everyone
default_yes.gif

Hehe...only the dandelions, DangerRanger!

Have to add:

With deadly plants, I do not wait for anything to kill it...I dig it out, being certain to get the entire root.

Our county uses beneficial insects/larvae as a biological control of tansy ragwort and scotch broom. It works great, although at first it was disconcerting being buzzed by helicopters and hoped they didn't think we were growing pot or making moonshine!

You might ask your local extension agent if they do this in your area...much safer and more effective than herbicides on a large scale. Doesn't help with the fenceline issue, though!

Minimule Shawnna Brown posted a great recipe for a weed control. Hopefully she will see this and post again.

Latest posts

Back