websites

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shelly

Reaction score
I am looking into starting a website for my minis and my Boston Terriers...which are better for a basic set up...free or professional?
default_rolleyes.gif

Also, what is web hosting and do I need that too?
default_wacko.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Do not do free!! Its much more worth your time and money to get a regular website with your own .com name.

I use yahoo hosting and its 11.95 per month and includes free business email, free listing in yahoo search and your .com name for free

I think it looks a lot better to have your own domain name, vs a free hosting service. If your Bostons are something you breed and sell puppies, I think it would look better to have your own Kennel name or something as the domain. There are some really affordable options for getting that done and the site hosted for you. I am really happy with the provider I've used for about 8 years, but they are more expensive than other options. When I got them, I think they were comparable to what was out there at the time and now, I'm basically too lazy to see about switching
geezmate.gif

I use Tripod to host my website and pay $4.95 a month to keep the ads off my site.

My domain name is hosted through GoDaddy and I pay $7.00 a year to for the domain forwarding.

Sheryl, you're a way better shopper than I am!!! I look at your site a lot and it's never down and it always loads fast. I should probably stop being lazy because switching would save me about $170 a year... that's a new show halter set!!!
default_laugh.png

I do have some domains that sound similar to my main domain through Godaddy and they're set to automatically re-direct. It was very, very easy to do and very cheap, too. So I know first hand Godaddy is an easy solution to get a domain name for yourself
default_yes.gif

Kay steered me in the right direction. Yahoo has been perfect for me! I LOVE my website--easy to create and update. It's NOT a free one--ads make me crazy when I see them. I believe ours is also $11.95/month. Worth every penny.

Kay is in the process of getting me on the right path. I plan to set up my Yahoo hosting website this weekend. It is $8.96 x 3 months, then $11.95 per month after that.

I currently have a "free" website, it gave me an opportuinty to learn the basics before I decided to pay for one. So now I am ready to upgrade.

I love having Yahoo for my site! I used the templets that they provide. The step by step details they give and phone calls to Kay surely helped.

Sheryl, you're a way better shopper than I am!!! I look at your site a lot and it's never down and it always loads fast. I should probably stop being lazy because switching would save me about $170 a year... that's a new show halter set!!!
default_laugh.png

I do have some domains that sound similar to my main domain through Godaddy and they're set to automatically re-direct. It was very, very easy to do and very cheap, too. So I know first hand Godaddy is an easy solution to get a domain name for yourself
default_yes.gif

Jill, I am an ultimate bargain shopper.
default_yes.gif

Tripod gives you the choice of a template (yuck) or you can design your own site with html codes. Html code is pretty simple really and quite fun.

I get email addys, .com , no pop ups, lots of space etc for only $2.50 a month!

arishost.com

Well, you both might be awesome shoppers BUT I know where there's a Coach outlet!!!
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png

I should seriously look at moving my domain, but Earthlink's been so good and easy, and never known it to be down (and that thing about me being lazy...).

Reo,

Is the horse pic in your website home page a natural shot or edited into that background? If edited, how did you do it?
default_new_shocked.gif

I use freewebs but mine is not free, i have i think the golden package? I think it $24.00 a month and includes my domain name ext and no ads on my site. I started out with a free website via freewebs and its so easy to go in and update and easy to use, so when i decided it was time to get a "real" website ..i just upgraded on freewebs and got the domain name ext.

Atleast get a domain name ...when i see sites like www.freewebs.com/blahasdfl;kafier ....it just does not like professional. However www.GreenCreekStable.com to me looks much nicer.

My website comes up on google, yahoo ext.

I use freewebs but i don't sell and im not a big farm, only 2 horses. I get it for free. But if you want your own domain and no pop ups etc i would look into the suggested websites above.

Gena (here on the forum) did that for me! I don't know what effect she used.

The natural one is on the stallion page.
default_smile.png

I bought my domain and hosting from godaddy.com. They have a program I believe to help you build your site. I know site building so I built mine myself useing frontpage. I don't remember what I pay a year for my domain. I believe a 2 yr was around 25.00. I pay 3.95 a month on my hosting. I pretty much have unlimited amount of space. My site has never gone down as far as I know.

Reo,
Is the horse pic in your website home page a natural shot or edited into that background? If edited, how did you do it?
default_new_shocked.gif
Just thought I'd answer this question for you. The photo on REO's website is done with a photo editing program, such as photoshop. Its done my useing layers and enhancing effects.

I HIGHLY suggest www.kreateasite.com. Their templates are easy to use and when you make color changes etc. you can easily do it to all of your pages at once. I have used the Yahoo sites as well, but I found that importing templates was hard and I ended up piecing things together so they ended up loading in pieces if the person was on dial up. Kreateasite is not as cheap as yahoo but it is all inclusive and you get a huge variety of templates. EVERY aspect of EVERY template is fully customizable and easy to do so. They have a free trial so you can see how your site would look and then decide to sign up or not. The domain name is included in the price.

We went through Yahoo and I think it's $11.95/month. Well worth it. It's easy to make and update, you dont get pop-ups, and it has alot of features you can use. We use Yahoo Sitebuilder to update it and have yet to have an issue. Wouldn't even think of changing. It was the first website I designed and I found it very easy to use.

http://www.victorypassstable.com

~Jen~

Latest posts

Back