WEBBLES IN GRAIN

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockin r

Reaction score
Hubby went to the feed store yesterday and brought home 11 bags of grain. We dumped 7 bags and started to notice webbles. there were alot of them!! Will these little pains cause my horses problems??? We sifted them out as best we could and returned most of it...I know that horses should not eat contaminated grain, but I am stuck, and I don't have any other feed. I have been waiting on this shipment for awhile.

I think they're weevils? Surely bugs of some sort anyway??

Anyway, no, I absolutely would not feed bug infested grain to the horses. Sure, horses no doubt eat some bugs when they're out grazing, or when some crawly thing climbs into the oat tub after I put it out...but I'm not going to feed bugs to them! I'd be hiking those feed bags back to the store PDQ. If you can't get bug-free grain of the variety you usually feed, can you not get some plain oats or some other grain variety to hold you over until they can get a new shipment of bug-free grain in?

I don't suppose they'd actually do harm to the horses (don't know for sure, but I'm assuming they are a non-toxic variety?) It's just the idea of it--the horses eating all those bugs/worms/eggs! Ick.

new_rofl.gif
I'm pretty sure she meant weevils. I'm sorry rockin r. I'm not making fun of you and this is a serious post so I don't want to take away from that, but Weebles were little fat chubby toys that kids used to play with _Weebles wobble, but they don't fall down- I know I'm not the only one old enough to remember that
biggrin.gif
Seiously though, I will leave the info up to experts to post. I have seen people feed when the grain is "buggy" around here it is no longer horse feed, it becomes cattle feed
laugh.gif

I think what you're referring to if they're beatle type of bugs, we call them "Bowl Weevils" down here in these parts.

If it were up to me, I'd just assume take a loss on the bags, or take them back to where I got them from. I'm not sure they will harm the horses, but just for my own peace of mind, I would'nt feed them knowing that they were in there. It will be alot cheaper for me to lose $$ on the feed than to get a vet in for tummy problems.

I've been known to change total feed brands because I found a piece of clay pigeon in one brand of Agway feed awhile back. So if I notice anything amiss in my feed, whether it be dog, horse chicken, or human...it gets dumped or returned.

I wouldn't feed it to my horses like that, ever. I'd rather not give them the grain for awhile. If they got sick then how would you feel ?

Can't you return it and get your money back at least ?

same thing happened to me. i bought purina equine junior. these bugs are gross and they hatch into moths, so everytime you open the feed bin lid they all come flying out. i hate it. i bought 3 bags a month ago and didnt notice the bugs until i got home. i called purina and got coupons for replacement bags, that i will use in the winter when the bugs arent there. i switched my feed also. seems some feed has them and others doesnt. i dont want bugs in my horse's stomach! get your money back!!!!!

One of the reasons for buying just enough feed is to minimize bug and mould infestation. Once the grain has been removed from storage is is highly prone to contamination. It is best if its used with three to four weeks maximum of the time it was mixed. Most feed dealers will mix horse feed atleast once a week if not more just to keep it fresh. We have thrashed this subject around before and I might suggest for owners of one or two just buy feed buy the pail full. I buy a couple of pails full and am good for three weeks or so (when I am feeding grain). My feed dealer is glad to do it for me and several other mini owners.

OK..the laughs on me!!!!
biggrin.gif
I was sooo upset when I posted this that I spelled webbles and yes they do fall down!!!! I did mean to say weevils.....The dealer did take back the feed. And I opened 5 more bags at the feed store and they were ok.... There is NO feed worth my babies health...It has been sooo unbearably hot here that I have only been buying enough feed to last 2-3 weeks at a time. I was afraid of something like this happening. I was just glad I caught it, as it was getting dark when we were dumping the grain...On the brighter side tho.. my neighbor was glad to get the feed that we didn't take back for his pond, the fish love it!! I am glad to see everyone got a good laugh,
yes.gif
Theresa

Glad you were able to get bags that were not infested. We bought a couple of bags of barley for our goats once, and when we went and opened the back of the truck to unload them, all I could hear was rustling. It was these little weevils inside the feed bags. Right back to the feed store we went, and they checked, and that whole load of grain was crawling, they had to take the forklift and shift the entire load out of the warehouse!

I haven't gotten weevils in my feed, but I would take it back if I did.I did get another surprise in my bedding.I had put 8 or 10 bags of shavings in my station wagon and noticed a hole in 1 bag.Upon examining the bag I noticed several mice nesting in 1 bag.Needless to say I got it out of my wagon quickly at the store.I told them I didn't need to buy mice to cross breed with those of mine on the farm.I had quite enough free ones of my own without paying for them

I to would not feed it. Our feed store tried to tell me it was safe. I told him if it crawed, NO I would not feed it. Nor did I want it in our truck. Gross.

He said some feeds get them easy. He said to put spirment gum, leave in the wrapper and put it in the grain ben. It would keep them out. I did do it. But I have

changed our feed and now feeding Safe Choice Feed, its a pellet. So far we have not had any problems. I told him if I open a bag and it has a bug he gets it back.

He said no problem, he just returns it to the dealer and gets his money back. So if you open one, take it back. They will return it to the dealer and get a refund.

Vicky

There is absolutely no way on this green earth that I would feed this barff to my horses and have them injest bugs and their do-do.........
smileypuke.gif
smileypuke.gif
smileypuke.gif
smileypuke.gif
smileypuke.gif
smileypuke.gif
smileypuke.gif
smileypuke.gif
smileypuke.gif
smileypuke.gif

Latest posts

Back