Weanlings

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frizzle's Gal

Reaction score
I am looking at a 4 month colt and he seems a little high butted. But I'm not sure if he will straighten out or just get worse. At a few weeks old he looked straight across the back. I mean its not bad but he's not straight. Is there any way to tell if he will straighten out?

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my advice:

Look at photos of the colt at birth, and look at both parents. Look at any siblings that you are able to see (full siblings are best, but even half siblings will be helpful).

Chances are, if any of those are butt high as adults or over 2 years old, it is likely that your guy could (or could not) stay that way as well.

In my observation, most do not grow up to be butt high, but it does happen.

There are no guarantees even with that investigation, but this is some of the risk of buying young, you don't know 100% what you will get.

Still, it's my feeling that he's just going through a growth phase and will even out.

Good luck!

Liz M.

Hard to answer your question without a photo.........

Most youngsters are butt high because of a growth spurt. It's especially common to see it with yearlings and yes, in those cases their front half does catch up.

MA

Ok well his parents don't look that butt high.

Last edited by a moderator:
First you cant post pics of horses you dont own. Second its a bad angle but I dont consider that butt high.

look at both parents. Look at any siblings that you are able to see (full siblings are best, but even half siblings will be helpful).
Yep, that's what I was going to say. One reason I keep pictures of the sire, dam & siblings on any horse that we have for sale.

My yearling is currently butt high and we have a show to qualify for states (4h) in a little over a week. Im keeping my fingers crossed that he evens back out.

Latest posts

Back