Weanlings

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SILVER

Reaction score
I have been feeding Big'un 300 to lactating mares and foals. I am weaning foals (4 mos) and was wondering what the amount per foal should be. They also love beet pulp as mamas get it as well. Oats are available here as well.

(The Big'un 300 is 16% Protein with 2% Fat, 8% Fiber)

I keep my waenlings on big un until they are 6 months old. If I wean them at 6 months, I will leave them on it until they are comfortable being on their own, and really settled into their new life. Too many stresse to swap feeds when they are swapping lifestyles!!

What amounts do you use? I am weaning at 4 mos. as I find mamas getting a bit run down and don't want her to get real thin going into winter. I have a couple of them being weaned together so they have a buddy
smile.gif

[SIZE=14pt]I would like to see lots more fat than 2%! Proteins are not absorbed well without enough fat. My two weaners are getting 4-5 cups each of concentrates buy ours has 10% fat.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Hi Lyn, I have a high fat, high fiber also. Would that be something I should consider putting in with it. I have been sneaking a wee bit in already, but wasn't sure if I should.

[SIZE=14pt]I switch my weaners over to the regular stuff at 5-6 months. They grow very well on that.[/SIZE]

Lyn

lyn_j said:
[SIZE=14pt]I switch my weaners over to the regular stuff at 5-6 months. They grow very well on that.[/SIZE]Lyn

459284[/snapback]

Stupid question here, what are you calling regular stuff
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back