Weanling anxiety - when taking buddy out to work

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlottein

Reaction score
I have a weanling who is 4 months old, and a mature gelding. He stayed at her farm while she was younger, so it was a nice transition when weaning since she knew and liked him when she came to live with us. However every time we go driving or get out of her sight, she gets anxious -whinnies, pacing. We take her out on walks alone, take them out walking together, and take out the gelding alone to try and get her used to being briefly separated. She is more comfortable being taken away from him rather than when he leaves. Sometimes my husband goes out and comforts her while we are out driving. Any other advice on how to get her used to this? I don't like putting her through the stress, but there are no other horses for her to join, and I do need to keep working my gelding. I have seen different things on this issue with adult full sized horses, but since she is just a baby, I am not sure that they fit.

Having your husband spend time with her sounds like the best..... If she was older I'd suggest tying her to the back of the cart, but at her age that would probably be a bit rough on her at only 4 months. Other than that, I will watch to see if anyone else has a good suggestion.

Oh poor baby! I guess there's no chance of getting a third to add to the herd? Is there any way to stay where she can see you when you drive until she gets older and more comfortable alone?

Oh poor baby! I guess there's no chance of getting a third to add to the herd? Is there any way to stay where she can see you when you drive until she gets older and more comfortable alone?
Sadly no to both.

Having your husband spend time with her sounds like the best..... If she was older I'd suggest tying her to the back of the cart, but at her age that would probably be a bit rough on her at only 4 months. Other than that, I will watch to see if anyone else has a good suggestion.
We do intend to do this for sure. We don't take long drives for the most part so hopefully soon. But she can't always go out with us, so hoping to figure out how to get her to relax when he is gone too. We did try giving some feed to keep her busy too, but she is not interested when she is anxious.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about leaving her as long as she is in a fairly confined safe space so she can't hurt herself. Think of it as training. If you can work your gelding where she can see him for a little while each time you take him out it might help. If she is broke to lead safely and calmly by herself, your husband could take her out before you start with the gelding and keep her occupied that way, but you'd probably have to be able to take her where she can't see the gelding leave. My minis don't really care when I take one away, but my big horses do. The one I leave behind goes in a stall made of round pen panels. She stays calmer that way, because she can't work herself up by running/pacing the fence. And they don't even like each other!

Latest posts

Back