Weaning Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bozley

Reaction score
How many months do you generally keep your mare and foal separated during the weaning process?

Thanks!

Sue

For most mares at least 6 months. I do have a rare mare that I can separate from her foal for 2 weeks and put them back in and she wont let them nurse but most mares will.

I USUALLY KEEP MARES ON ONE SIDE OF THE PROPERTY AND THE BABIES ON THE OTHER, FOR BETWEEN 3 TO 4 MONTHS. I'VE NEVER HAD ONE GO BACK TO NURSING(KNOCK ON WOOD).

Depends on the animals in question. I keep them separate for 4 weeks and then give them a try together. If the foal goes right over to momma and starts drinking then it is back in to separation for another month or so. I found my filly was the worst for going right back to nursing. Both my colts never looked back. They were very independent, but they were weaned together too, so maybe that helped.

Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it.

Sue

Revisiting this post for more replies/ideas. I hate having two pastures going and can't wait to have them all together again.

Well...Having only had two foals born here, I'm not the most experienced in terms of weaning wisdom but...I've been really lucky. The first foal I didn't put back with mom at all; she had a weaning buddy (Lexus) and then she sold pretty quickly; I also shipped the mare off to a friends' place for 3 weeks. With Briar (born in June), I put them in separate stalls at 6 months. I turned them out separately (which was hard on Briar as she didn't have a buddy...I only had her dam, sire, and another stallion at the time). After three weeks I just decided to turn Lexus and Briar out together. Briar didn't even try to nurse. Not even once! So, I've been really lucky. Now they just act like buddies (still bonded, but no nursing whatsoever). I know that's not the norm, but I was a very happy pappy with this outcome
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I'v only done it twice,they were both older. They were across the fence from their moms.It was probably 3-4 months. I didn't have any problems putting back,no nursing
default_aktion033.gif

Revisiting this post for more replies/ideas. I hate having two pastures going and can't wait to have them all together again.
Are you gelding the colts? Weanlings CAN breed mares, including their mothers. Otherwise you will need to keep 2 pastures. I know it's a pain. I have 6 different pens and it's a PITA! But it's what needs to be done right now. Then I have 2 groups of mares that are go in the same pen but have to be rotated. Fun Fun Fun.

Tucker gets gelded Feb 16th. I watch him--he's behaving. He's with Mazie, a weanling, only all night.

I tried putting the foals with mares yesterday--but they went for the udders and the mares let them.
default_rolleyes.gif
I'll try again in a month. I just want everyone in the best run-in area--the open barn--where the heated water bucket is. The mares don't have one. I haul hot water to them three times a day though and in 7 years this is the first I've had a heated bucket... so I know they'll survive. It IS just easier all the way around to have them all together. I keep thinking--this is the last time...this is the last time.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Normally I would not put foals back with the mares at all but this year it just suited me to do so, so I tried. I have one gelded colt, a coming yearling now and weaned for six months, back in with his mother. His chances of actually surviving an attempt to nurse are slim, but she has accepted him back into the herd (she is boss) and he has remained sane and not become all neurotic about leaving her, as I have seen some foals do.

So it seems it can be OK, although by choice, I would not do it.

You guys are lucky...

We usually wean in September/October and then put the babies out in the pasture with the mares around June/July during full blown breeding season so the mares are always in and out which makes it an easier transition for the little ones. I have 3 mares that are 24/7 365 milkers and we've had a few instances over the years where I've caught one of the weanlings nursing through the fence (MONTHS after being weaned!!)...so we have to have a pasture between our foals and ANY of the mares...not just their mothers. AND we have to wait 8-12 months before putting them out.

I think it depends on the mares...some of mine are just really tolerant!

It was about 3 months for me. Tried earlier than that and I read to even use bag balm on the bag and the foal won't want to nurse. Nope he didn't care, he went for it anyway.

We have many different pastures so our babies have their own pasture soon as they're weaned. Then as they turn a year old - we separate the boys from girls. But still not back to their mothers pastures. We have yearling pasture and then a 2 yr old pasture. I guess you'd say they keep graduating to the next level. LOL Then the bred mares pasture. And each boy has their own pasture.

Our weanlings never see their own moms again until they are at least 2. But that's just because we have the room to do so.

We breed back after foaling so I'm not sure I'd want to see an older foal try nursing their mother that is already pregnant again - never had to worry about that with separate pastures.

I guess things would be different and we'd have to compromise some if we had less room or facilities.

Latest posts

Back