Weaning/Milk question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

normajeanbaker

Reaction score
We just weaned our colt on Sunday. These our the first foals we've ever had, so we were curious as to how long it takes for the mare to no longer produce milk and dry up? I know the morning after we weaned him, she had enough milk to feed an army, so just wondering how long it takes before she no longer produces any and she dries up.

Thanks!

Jen

No hard and fast rules here, I'm afraid. Some of my mares blow their bags and then it's gone within a week, some take longer. It is not normally possible to put the foals back with the mares, however, as most mares keep a supply in reserve and can let down at any time, once they have foaled. I have known mares let Yearlings turned back in with them after over six months, suckle, and will produce milk for them to the detriment of the coming foal. I have NEVER known a mare turn a foal away on her own, although my friend swears his do - I would need to check his mares bags when he does eventually take the foals off, which |I know he never does, to be sure. He also got mastitis in one of his mares this year, which I , who wean at four- five months, never get.

My 6 day plan -- 2 days - separated during day

2 days - morning and evening snack

2 days - evening snack only

This works very well for me. No hard bags with mastitis potential or pain for mare. By day 6 there is very little milk being produced.

Latest posts

Back