Weaning by the signs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hhpminis

Reaction score
Otis Orchards, Washington (just east of Spokane)
I remember this discussion last year but would like a refresher course. In another thread about weaning the dates of Aug 16 & 17 were mentioned. Looking at the calendar I see nothing special about those days and I thought it had something to do with the new or full moon. I show those dates to be New Aug 5 and Full Aug 19.

I would like to try it this year.

hhpminis said:
I remember this discussion last year but would like a refresher course.  In another thread about weaning the dates of Aug 16 & 17 were mentioned.  Looking at the calendar I see nothing special about those days and I thought it had something to do with the new or full moon.  I show those dates to be New Aug 5 and Full Aug 19.
I would like to try it this year.

439827[/snapback]

To check which are the correct days for weaning, gelding, etc. just go to www.farmersalmanac.com and then to "best days". It lists all the best days for everything from canning to weaning to setting posts, etc. I learned about this site from Getitia and gelded by the signs. Had absolutely no complications, the vet was kind of surprised. Inti was up and around with absolutely no problems or soreness. I had a friend wean by the dates and she said that the mare and foal barely called to each other. So in my book it really works. Good Luck

I am not sure how they determine which dates are good for what, other than through astrology, but I don't know that much about it.
wacko.gif

I also wean and geld by the signs.

Get a Farmers Almanac, and then it goes by zodiac signs - which then you look i the almanac and it tells you which day is in which body part.........I go for the knees going down

It is not the moon, but the ZODIAK signs you go by.

Each part of the body is assigned a Zodiak sign.

They say that when the "blood" is towards the head, it's bad to wean or castrate. You want to do that when the blood is towards the feet.

Here goes!

Head=Aries

Neck=Taurus

Arms=Gemini

Breast=Cancer

Heart=Leo

Belly=Virgo

Reins=Libra

Secrets=Scorpio

Thighs=Sagittarius

Knees=Capricorn

Legs=Aquarius

Feet=Pisces

If you wean gradually. start way ahead of the "date" given to wean. Then wean totally during the "wean" time.

We used to wean gradually and it was hard on the foals and mares. Once in a while it went smoothly, but those were the times I accidentally was weaning by the sign! Now we wean cold turkey by the signs and it goes very well for mares and foals. The mare's bags go down in two days (here) and foals don't run and cry. We do what works for us.

I like to start the wean if it's at least a day or two into "thighs".

Here is Aug.

Aug. 14 SAG

Aug. 15 SAG

Aug. 16 CAP

Aug. 17 CAP

Aug. 18 AQU

Aug. 19 AQU

Aug. 20 PSC

Aug. 21 PSC

Since Pisces is the "Feet" that is the best time. If you tried to start weaning on the 22nd, it would be back at the head and it will go roughly.

They say gelding during the right time that they bleed less too.

I have 3 foals I'm going to start to wean Aug. 15th or 16th.

I hope I made sense, I have not been to bed yet last night and I can't see straight.

wacko.gif

To check which are the correct days for weaning, gelding, etc. just go to www.farmersalmanac.com and then to "best days".
Don't know if it's true, but it is interesting reading. Has some neat stuff on the site.

Thanks for the link
yes.gif

I am confused !
wacko.gif

The "Old" Farmers Almanac online says best days to wean are Aug 23 and 31.

The plain "Farmers Almanac" online says the the 14-21st.

I searched Old Farmers Almanac on Google and found them there. So which one is correct ?

Last edited:
The different Almanacs on line seem to have different dates SO I bought the real Farmer's Almanac BOOK and I go by what it says. Works for me! The dates I posted are out of the book.

yes.gif

Back