Quantcast

Weaning a mini mule

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

Denisern06

Reaction score
Help! I have a 10 week old mini mule that keeps getting out of our pasture . We've added barbed wire, electric fence, tried temporarily putting him in a corral and he gets out. I have 7 acres. His mother doesn't seem to care that he's wandering. I am completely stressed out about it. I have someone who wants him but my question is , what's the very earliest I can wean? I am afraid he's going to get hurt. He's eating grass and hay, drinks water as well as nursing.

Denisern06

Reaction score
Help! I have a 10 week old mini mule that keeps getting out of our pasture . We've added barbed wire, electric fence, tried temporarily putting him in a corral and he gets out. I have 7 acres. His mother doesn't seem to care that he's wandering. I am completely stressed out about it. I have someone who wants him but my question is , what's the very earliest I can wean? I am afraid he's going to get hurt. He's eating grass and hay, drinks water as well as nursing.

Attachments

horsenut50

Reaction score
2 1/2 months is way too early to wean. 5/6 months is generally the best time to wean. If you can get cattle panels or field fence and T-Posts, I would recommend making a corral out of this. This little guy won’t have a chance of escaping this set up. Good luck!

LostandFound

Reaction score
I'm going to say that his safety would be my primary concern. I know people that wean at 2 months, and while I like to give them longer I have never seen them have a problem with babies weaned that early. I would want to make sure he is eating grain first though, because he will need a little more than grass and hay.

Latest posts