We Miniature Horse People Are SO Lucky

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
This morning, I went out to make sure all the horses had plenty of water and as usual, hung out with my little herd for awhile.

I really don't know of any other single thing in my life that makes me feel so proud, peaceful, and centered.

Just petting the horses and watching them, nothing else is like it! This morning, I spent a little bit of time with all of them here at home and was just struck once again by the feeling of being amazingly lucky to be able to have such a luxury as horses!

When I gave Derby his attention, I put my palm under his chin (he wears no halter) and raised his head a little. I gave him a slight nudge and he did one of his perfect 360 pivots without any halter and nothing from me but that slight nudge. I just followed him on around. He always tries to do what he thinks I want him to.

The funny thing that people without horses will never really get is that it's not riding them or driving them or showing them that grows the passion for horses at all, at least not for me even though I do all three of those things. It's being able to be with them and responsible for them.

The icing on the cake is that it's only Friday morning and I've got three entire days to spend as much time with the horses as I want.

Thanks for listening. It would be great to hear your thoughts on how fortunate we are to have these little horses in our lives.

kiss.gif

Well Jill, you very eloquently said what I have tried to say for some time....its just something hard to explain to those who do not share a love for animals..esp. horses.
yes.gif

When I have had a hard day, I go to the barn, and just sit on a bucket in a stall or outside in the mudlot and let them take the troubles away....they are such wonderful, enchanting and loving creatures GOD ever created. I think having them is a true Blessing.
wub.gif

Love 'em!!

Just the smell of a mini is relaxing.

When Honey Ron came home last night he was in sheer delight when Promise walked up to him and let him reach out to her. He said "baby, this sure beats anything else we could be doing right now." He's a truck driver and you can see the tension just melt off of him when he is with them. Especially with Oliver.
yes.gif

Fran

Mona said:
aktion033.gif
  Jill, I think it's safe to say you are truely 
wub.gif

wub.gif

wub.gif
yes.gif

441527[/snapback]

Hehe! I can be a real goober about this stuff, I know
hearton.gif
I loved reading the other posts here. Fran's had me blinking back tears! Just get in these moods sometimes and can't help it. We really are blessed.

Jill, I totally agree with you. I can be in the very worst mood possible - just mad at the world and walk out into my barn - bingo, I'm feeling better.

I got into mini horses after my dad passed away. I was so depressed, that my stepmom told me to go looking - that my dad would want me to. I bought my first two and boarded them nearby. They certainly helped me through an awful time in my life. It got even better when I got my barn built and they came home.

How can you help but smile when you see those faces so happy to see you. I love the nickers I get when I open my front door - they know I'm coming to visit and just maybe they'll get a "treat." That's their favorite word.

Thank God for minis!!!!!

Barbie

Ok when I feel the most tranquil, is when (dont laugh) I get done feeding the shedrow is raked and everything is all clean. Its quiet with the exception of them munching on their grain. Its my favorite time period! I can just sit there and listen. I feel like the luckiest person at that moment.

Thank you all, you just reminded me that a horse is a horse, no matter what the size. My husband and I have decided that, to continue to have my dream of owning horses (one I've had since I was 3), we need to switch to miniature horses. I have been in mourning for the last several days as we are selling my TB broodmare and her baby and her yearling from last year. We're keeping the gelding and the donkey because I can ride the gelding. However, I've been depressed with the decision because I can't imagine having the trusting relationship with the miniatures as I've always had with the big horses. I've always wanted to raise and train my own horses. Well, your thoughts on the matter have helped. They do smell the same, they do offer the same comfort, their offer of trust is the same, and by gosh, they do have the same peaceful munching when they eat!

Range, I don't know if this will help you feel even better or not. When I got my first minis, I thought I'd enjoy them (of course) but that I couldn't ever enjoy them nearly as much as my riding horses. Well, it didn't take too long before I enjoyed the minis MORE than the riding horses, who have stood around unridden for a way long time now... You can have much the same kind of trust and accomplishment with driving minis. I think I'd nearly always now pick driving a mini over riding a big horse (again, that's why my biggies aren't being ridden!). It's so fun and you can make it as challanging as you want with obstacles, etc. I "barrel race" around the trees and shrubs in our yard even. Plus, you can ride in the cart with a friend who may not know how to ride, or be scared to ride, but can sit with you in the cart and still enjoy doing something with the horses with you... Plus, as we know, it's about way, way more than riding, driving and showing. They are still horses, regardless of size.

Range said:
Thank you all, you just reminded me that a horse is a horse, no matter what the size.  My husband and I have decided that, to continue to have my dream of owning horses (one I've had since I was 3), we need to switch to miniature horses.  I have been in mourning for the last several days as we are selling my TB broodmare and her baby and her yearling from last year.  We're keeping the gelding and the donkey because I can ride the gelding.  However, I've been depressed with the decision because I can't imagine having the trusting relationship with the miniatures as I've always had with the big horses.  I've always wanted to raise and train my own horses.  Well, your thoughts on the matter have helped.  They do smell the same, they do offer the same comfort, their offer of trust is the same, and by gosh, they do have the same peaceful munching when they eat!
441987[/snapback]

Just to let you know, I switched to raising miniatures so my daughter, who is now 7, could have a hobby with me, cause I didn't want her getting hurt by the big horses. Well now I think I am more addicted than she is.....They truly are AWESOME and I couldn't imagine my life without them.
wub.gif

Look at it this way, keep you a good riding horse, and enjoy the rest with mini's, they eat less, less manure, and Just as much love!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Easier to halterbreak and handle for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So many ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++'s!!!!

You can also start driving them!!
laugh.gif

I don't think I could have survived all the pain, all the heartaches and trials with out my minis. I honestly can't imagine my life without at least a couple. I'd die.

wpsellwood said:
Ok when I feel the most tranquil, is when (dont laugh) I get done feeding the shedrow is raked and everything is all clean.  Its quiet with the exception of them munching on their grain.  Its my favorite time period!  I can just sit there and listen.  I feel like the luckiest person at that moment.
441968[/snapback]

I agree i do my best thinking when cleaning the barn and 98 percent of the time it is my favorite time of the day

Most all of my best moments are with my Minis. I remember feeling sad and just went in with Sunny and sat there. He came over, put his head with mine so I could scratch his chest and just stood there.... *sigh*

Best medicine in the world.

Lucy

I totally agree! Great post!! I was just thinking about this earlier today.

Ginny Long

Lucky..you bet I feel lucky in having the minis!
wub.gif
They are far the best entertainment and something to always love on and get loved back. The babies are hilarious to watch and to see the beauty of their movement running across the pasture can be breathtaking. Hitch up a cart and take a drive and that is happiness!
yes.gif
Mary

Yes - great post! I love all of my animals and the minis are just so special. A lot of you hit the nail on the head where they are concerned. They are so sweet, loving and special...Like the saying goes - the best things come in small packages!!
wub.gif
blush.gif
cheeky-smiley-006.gif
flirt.gif
whistling.gif

I know exactly how you feel. I had to part with my "dream" horse because of a riding accident. It took awhile, but I can remember him without crying now.

My minis have helped me in many ways, it is true "a horse is a horse" but somehow I think the little ones can let their personalities come through more.

And I can share my minis with my grand-daughter
biggrin.gif
She adores them and they adore her. They are so careful and loving towards her, and I think they relate to her size.

I am lucky to have them, no vacations here. It's right outside my back door. I used to sacrifice for my children, now I do it for my "other" children. Never any regrets.

Lee

Latest posts

Back