We Lost a colt yesterday

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Candice, I am so very very sorry. Going through that IS agonizing. You did EVERYTHING you could. Your vet is very probably correct.....That the foal had already died and never made it into foaling position. I just hope you aren't beating yourself up with the "What Ifs"........ Don't do it. I hope your mare is doing okay......

So sorry for your loss. Glad to hear your mare is Ok, you did a good job in such a terrible situation. Prayers to lift your sorrow.

Mary

I'm so sorry for your loss.
default_no.gif
I applaud you and your husband for an outstanding job! You recognized a problem, you called the vet(s) and when push came to shove you went after the foal yourself! You did everything you could. I had one bad dystocia, foal was upside down and backwards with a butt presentation...also couldn't get vet out in a timely manner and had to go in and reposition the foal to get her out.........beautiful black and white pinto filly.......of course.
default_no.gif
So I know just how hard you worked....good job!

I am so sorry for your loss. I too had to deal with a dystocia exactly like yours a few years ago and knew when I pulled the foal out it had died before labor because of a light white haze on the eyes. My vet agreed when she arrived (one hour after I had the foal out) I did have our vet infuse our mare and check for any tears, she healed up beautifully and had a gorgeous little foal the following year. You did a wonderful job getting the foal out. I know its so hard to lose a foal, I am so sorry HUGS

So sorry for you loss - especially sorry for you're mare as they take the loss so hard. We've only lost one this year and it was a maiden (thankfully) as she didn't really know or mourn the loss like an experienced mare.

Anyone that has been breeding for any amount of time has knows how horrible those dystocia's can be - we've lost two mares over the years to them and a number of foals. Every one is hard and heartbreaking. One of the things we have found though with any malpresentation - if you can get the mare up gravity will help with giving you a bit more room to repositioning body parts. Keeping a mare up is a definite two person effort though.

As for cord issues - we've had those strangulations and clots in the cord - they're awful losses but nothing can be done about them.

Again so very sorry for your mares loss - best wishes/prayers for a speedy recovery.

Oh Candice, I am very, very sorry for your loss. Hugs to all of you.
default_bye-sad.gif

I'm amazed at your story and that you were able to find everything in there. I'm sorry for your loss and I hope your mare continues to get better!

[SIZE=12pt]Candice-[/SIZE]

I'm so sorry your mare lost her baby. Thankfully she seems ok.

It sure was nice to meet you today at Kristy's - you girls both had bad days yesterday. Things can only get better now.

Hang in there!!!!

Barbie

I'm so sorry for your loss.
default_sad.png
Been there, just a few weeks ago, and it is really hard. You did a great job though, and your mare is ok (so is mine, such a relief).

What I did was take the foal out of the mare's sight as soon as I got it out, as the mare was exhausted and in kind of a daze, so she never saw it. She is an experienced mare so knew there should have been one, and looked for it, but since there was no sign of it she didn't mourn as much, which made it easier on all of us.

Candice, I'm SO sorry that the colt was lost.
default_crybaby.gif

But I'm glad you and your hubby did suck a great job getting the colt out and saved your mare. Good job!

I know it's very hard to lose babies.

{{{hugs}}}

Candice, I am new to foaling, I had a maiden mare deliver a beautiful baby last year, I was wondering if you could tell us newbies what you meant of abnormal shape, Is this something to look for in births like this?

Sorry for your loss, i have lost several foals over the years to dystocias of varying differences, and most breeders have, And it still does not get any easier But when you get a birth that everything goes as nature planned it is increadible, and you remember just how valuable life really is! Hope you mare does well, and im sure she will!

Thankyou to everyone for all the kind words. I know these things happen. I just keep praying that they won't for any of us. At the present time my mare is worrying me a bit and I'm waiting for the vet to call back. Her temp has been a little low for my liking. Gonna keep giving her lots of TLC and wait to see what the vet says.

Thankyou again for all the kind words,

Wishing everyone expecting foals, safe happy deliveries and healthy happy foals and Mommas.

We still have one left to foal the end of next month. We've been blessed with two beautiful healthy boys this year and we do enjoy them.
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back