We had our first baby!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvmyracker

Reaction score
We had our first baby, born on April 2nd at 10:45 p.m. Easy birth and it was a palamino filly! Now I'm wondering how we should proceed? Please let me know what you do with your new babies. Here are a few questions I have:

When do you first halter baby?

Start teaching her to lead?

When do you first clip her?

Getting her used to blankets, picking feet, etc?

Thank you for your help!

I forgot to ask, When do you re-introduce the mother & baby back into the herd? She runs with a yearlling filly & a 2 year old mare.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on your filly!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
Everyone has their own training methods. I usually just handle and "play" with my foals for the first couple of months. I make sure I rub them all over.....make it fun, scratching etc. Usually when they're a month old I might put the halter on them and get them used to it. Then using halter and butt rope work on leading. Good luck with your girl!
default_biggrin.png

I believe in imprinting foals. Touch them all over, especially in typical problem areas like the ears. Expose the foal to as many things as possible as early as possible without causing stress. You could turn the clippers on and just run them all over the body, maybe even clip the bridle path, or what little is there. I would get them use to the halter right away as well, just don't leave it on when you are not watching. JMO.

Our filly was born on the 4th and we have already put a halter and lead on her and taken her for a walk, of course mom went too. She seemed to enjoy the walk. We introduced her to the neighbors. We always handle and imprint our foals when they're first born.

Stephanie

Congratulations! When we had our first foal our kids were teenagers. I ran in the house and woke them all up. We have a foal that was born 1/23. At about one month I put a halter on her which resulted in all kinds of gymnastics (amusing to watch and scary at the first time). Now at 2 1/2 mos. she sorta leads well as long as she wants to go where I am leading her. Enjoy your baby. They are such blessings.

Ruth

Latest posts

Back