WE had a foal and these colors are getting me!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Westwood Farms

Reaction score
WE had our second foal out of our stallion who is Cremello, Rio Bella Farms Rogues Santana. It's a filly!! :aktion033:

So, He was bred to my black pinto mare, MMR's Cookies and Cream. It seems I have a color I did not expect.

So, what do you think???

santanaad2.jpg

000_4554.jpg

000_3468.jpg

He is certainly living up to my expectations, with very colorful foals!!! Just odd ones, LOL. I mean, who would have thought bay x cremello equals palomino pinto? and Black pinto x cremello equals this filly? She has a heavy sorrel background, but I though that was not likely on my color combos here.

Let me know what you think of her color.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
What a Darling filly...
default_wub.png
: She looks chestnut to me but how on earth is that possible. I guess I'm not a color expert but I didn't think that was possible.

I'd bet palomino. Some of our palomino foals have looked chestnut and then lightened to palomino.

What a Darling filly...
default_wub.png
: She looks chestnut to me but how on earth is that possible. I guess I'm not a color expert but I didn't think that was possible.
I agree she does look chestnut but from that breeding it is not possible, Is it possible that the mare got bred by a different stallion? Otherwise to me it doesnt make sense
default_wacko.png
:

Nope, I only own one breeding stallion. So, we might just be stumped on this one. SAntana is out of 2 palominos, and I have seen them both, and Cookie is out of a bay, and a sorrel pinto.

Oh, if palomino, do the sorrel type end up the very golden palominos?

That one is kinda shocking. I would TOTALLY say chestnut... but if sire is cremello then she'd have to be palomino.

Definitely keep us posted as she grows and sheds her foal coat!!!

Andrea

Congratulations on your new foal, but I think either the foal is not actually sired by that stallion, OR, the stallion is in fact, NOT a cremello. I would think he is likely not a cremello. You can have him tested for cream, to find out for sure.

Well, I just looked up his offspring, and all but one of his 26 reg'f foals are cream colors, except there is one reg'd as chestnut, so perhaps this is a dark palomino. I really don't think it is though...it just looks too sorrel to be a palomino. Maybe a different sire??

Wow! I too am surprised to see that color! But she is very pretty!!!

I have a palomino who was born looking much darker in case that helps you. He grew up to be a light / Isabella palomino.

Is there any chance your stallion could be a max white? I know he's out of two palominos, but were they palomino pinto? I am not a color expert but thought I had double dilute down really good!

Triple H Derby Day Miracle
baby%20picture%20Derby_1.jpg

Derby%20--%20Silver%20Star%20Show%20--%20May%2010,%202004%20075.jpg

Derby-WCMHR-Hunter.jpg

Pretty girl, I would wait to name her color til you get her clipped in a while. She could be dark pal!

Probably palomino. We have had several foals born with that color which turned palomino later. A couple were really dark. Start checking at the base of the mane for it to lighten up.

That foal sure looks chestnut, but if that is for sure the sire then the only way it is possible for the foal to be chestnut is if the sire isn't actually a cremello. Looking at his photo I'd question if he is actually a very light palomino, and not a cremello. I have a palomino that looks as light as that stallion... Just because both of his parents were palomino doesn't mean he's cremello. On the other hand, she could be dark palomino--I've never personally seen a palomino born that dark, but that doesn't mean it cannot be so! :lol:

Given the number of cream offspring he has you would think that shows he is cremello, though I'd like to see that one chestnut already to his credit. If that one is truly a chestnut, and truly his offspring, then that alone proves he isn't cremello. It is possible for a palomino to throw mostly or even all cream foals, especially when dealing in relatively low numbers of offspring. The opposite is also true--I've known of a palomino that NEVER passed on the cream gene to the offspring. With a palomino you have a 50/50 chance of getting cream foals, but there's nothing that says the cream/non-cream foals have to be evenly disbursed--it's possible to get 20 cream foals and then have the non-creams start showing up after that, or the other way around.

I'd point out that there is nothing unusual about getting palomino from bay x cremello--the bay is obviously has one red & one black gene, and that means that this bay mare is likely to produce 50% black, 50% red. In the case of her being bred to a cremello she will produce 50% palomino, 25% buckskin & 25% smokey black. In the event that she is homozygous for agouti then her possibilities change to 50% palomino 50% buckskin. So you see, nothing unusual about that particular cross producing palomino at all!

Oh, I do not doubt the Bay x Cremello being palomino, only that they are 2 solids that produced a PINTO!!!

Do they make palominos with blue eyes, and completely pink skin?

Oh, I do not doubt the Bay x Cremello being palomino, only that they are 2 solids that produced a PINTO!!!

Do they make palominos with blue eyes, and completely pink skin?
If that palomino were also a maximum white sabino then yes, I believe he would have blue eyes & pink skin.

Sire is out of Glenns Southern Rouge (solid palomino) by NFC Husslers Star (sorrel) and Tuckaways Cameo (solid Palomino). Lilliputs Doriachi (dam) is listed as a solid palomino by Tinkertoys Flash Gordon listed as a solid palomino and by Still R Jenny Jo does not have a color listed.

Judging by pedigree you would think he be Cremello vs a max expression overo but that colt sure looks Chestnut to me too.
default_wacko.png
:

Beautiful Filly :new_shocked: Congrats :aktion033:

Pretty girl! My first question would be, has the stallion been tested to indeed carry two dilute genes, could he be a very light palomino, in which case a sorrel filly would be very likely. She's a beautiful girl, Congrats!!

Latest posts

Back