We found a nest of baby bunnies in our back yard.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniHunterHorseFan

Reaction score
Recently I've been noticing a wild rabbit hopping in and out of our back yard. Our neighbor has a garden which is a prime bunny banquet spot so I didn't think that the rabbit was strange for being in our yard. What I thought was strange though was one evening when I opened my window so one of my kitties could get some fresh air. She loves looking out the window through the screen. Suddenly the rabbit hopped across our back yard, then it stopped and hopped right up to my window. It sat beneath my window for at least an hour as my two cats happily watched it. We were suppose to have some nasty weather that night so I figured it was trying to find shelter.

Well today my dad was mowing the lawn not to far away from where I saw the rabbit when he thought he saw something moving. He had mowed right over the top of whatever it was and wondered if something really was moving down there. So he stopped the mower and looked. It was a rabbits nest with six baby bunnies. They were all still alive and unhurt, thank goodness. They were a little bit bigger than mice and their eyes are nearly opened so they must be a couple of weeks old. We put the rabbit hair that was around the nest back over the top so they are covered again. But I wonder, Are rabbits like birds? Will the mother smell that humans were near her babies and abandon them? We didn't actually touch the rabbits, just the grass that was right by them. Anyone experienced with rabbits?

All you can do is hope for the best.......
default_unsure.png
I would watch from a distance.

BTW, Birds have no sense of smell, so handling their nest or their young doesn't make the mom deny them. I just learned that from a wildlife naturalist a couple of years ago.

Done that too, I hate it but the mum will return, soon as the white spot is gine from their forehead they're on their own BUT I would mow around them and allow the grass to cover them again.

DO NOT TOUCH THEM!!!

If the kits (baby rabbits) have a smell of a human on them the mother will abandon them. I would just leave them alone, thats the best you can do when there this age.

Mother rabbits usually come at night for about 5 minutes.

Usually by the end of the day your smell should be blended in...
default_wub.png
but do not touch....

Latest posts

Back