We could use some thoughts and prayers for my little guy please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShaunaL

Reaction score
Most of you know of my little yearling colt, Jedi, I have been posting him a lot lately. We gotten some pretty bad news today that I'm distraught over. If any of you have any experience with what we are going through I'd really really appreciate it
default_sad.png
This will be a long post as I want to get all the details in.

Some history, Jedi came home in late May. He was lame on his right rear when he arrived with the hauler but he also had a pretty good scratch on his front right leg so we figured he fell in the trailer. He seemed fine by the next morning. I gave him a few weeks to settle in before starting show conditioning. As soon as I started working him he went lame again, same leg. On the advice of our vet (my husband is a small animal vet but we have a great guy who helps him with our minis) we put him on stall-rest. Very frustrating, he's bored, I'm bored, we missed 3 shows
default_wacko.png

Fast-forward to now ~ he seemed ok on that leg in the stall so we decided to slowly start exercising him again. A week or two ago (when we took the pics I've been posting) I worked him very gently one time in the yard. Walked him for a bit first, took some stacked pics, then let him trot around the yard a bit... he pulled up 3 legged lame after 2 times around.

Sigh... ok, of course I put him up right away, called our vet to schedule x-rays (was our plan if he went lame again with working). The x-rays were done this morning and I just got a devastating phone call with the results.

The films are bring sent to a radiologist for a second opinion so I'm trying to keep it together until then but it appears that Jedi suffered a crushing injury (most likely a kick from another horse) to his growth plate at some point. It looks like it's been trying to heal over time, and failing, obviously. He also suspects torn ligaments in there, altho those would be the least of our concerns.

He has given Jedi a guarded prognosis pending the radiologist's report
default_no.gif
Growth plate injuries in young horses, especially a crushing injury like this one, are really not good.
default_sad.png
I can't even believe this, he's so happy and good-natured about the whole thing, it's been hard for me to really accept the magnitude of his injury. I am trying to stay calm until we hear from the radiologist and see what he thinks. I am willing to do surgery or whatever it takes to make him pain-free if there's anything we can do but my vet did not sound hopeful. He says that even if he makes it there's almost no chance of him being able to be driven or do much activity. I don't even care about that right now, I just want him alive and pain-free!

Have any of you experienced this in your young horses? Have you had good results with surgery, stall rest, etc? You can PM me if you don't want to post it.

Thanks for listening, I feel a little better sharing it
default_sad.png

Jedi_fronthead_8_17_08.jpg

Growth plate where? You didn't say where. Hip, knee, pastern?

I am sorry to hear this.

I have no advice to give, just wanted to say he has a very sweet face. Hopefully your vet can give you some good words.

So sorry to hear what the films showed, I will keep you all in my prayers that the second reading comes back a little better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your thoughts
default_wub.png
He is such a sweet boy and so willing to do anything we ask of him.

As to which growth plate, either he didn't say or I missed it, but it's in the stifle so I guess either the tibia or the femur?

Shauna,

I'm so, so sorry you had to get this news!
default_no.gif
I'm praying the radiologist has some options for you. I know how much you love this beautiful little guy and it's been killing you to have him going through this and now! Now, this news.
default_new_shocked.gif

Oh please let there be some good news about this tomorrow.
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif

Sending prayers and good thoughts. I have my fingers crossed for better news from the radiologist.

Hopefully there will be better news tomorrow for your little guy
hug2.gif
... one thing in his favour is his age - youngsters can make remarkable recoveries.

Gosh Shauna that is sad news
default_no.gif
I sure hope the radiologist has better news for you. Here I have been wondering when I was going to get to see updated pics of Miss Melody and little did I know what you were going through
default_sad.png
(slapping myself) I am very sorry and I sure do hope to hear some good news tomorrow.

That is sad news. Hopefully the radiologist has better news for you. I would definitely explore ALL options as this is serious and not something I would trust to just one vet's opinion - no matter how good!

I'm not a vet but it's my understanding if the growth plate is injured the bone (you mentioned stifle area) will not grow - whichever bone is affected. If that is the case it really would be awful for Jedi. You might want to do some research also for alternative therapy's as they may have 'different' ways to stimulate bone recovery/regrowth. People (I mean in humans) have had great success with magnet therapy for bone injuries, etc.

Poor little guy. He looks so sweet! I'm sending prayers and healing thoughts his way.

{{{{Hugs}}}}

Thank you Parmela and everyone! I know I am biased but I LOVE this colt, he is exactly what I wanted and he has an incredible temperament. Everytime I think about this I feel like I can't even breathe, I just cannot believe that our time together may be at an end already and with such abruptness. He's just a baby
default_sad.png

Brandi, I'm sorry about the pics, I did think about that the other day. We've been really wrapped up with anticipating the x-rays and worrying this last week. Jedi spends most of his time lying down this past week so a lot of time goes into making sure he's switching sides and not injuring himself further trying to get up. I promise I will get some pics of the girls soon for you! They are doing great and Melody has been enjoying the company of some adorable horse-crazy little girls who think she is the best thing since riding lessons.

Michelle, you are correct, growth plate injuries in a young horse rarely have good outcomes. There is already evidence that continuing damage is being done to his leg due to his growth. The films have already been sent to a radiologist for a second opinion and will likely be sent out again for a 3rd opinion. My husband has been looking into options all evening but it's really not looking good at all. Of course, I will try to do what's best for Jedi, and not what I want. But I am hoping and praying that this is all a mistake and there is something fixable in there
default_sad.png
They have been talking over some treatment options if it turns out the damage isn't as severe as we think so I'm trying to hold onto that for now. However, at this point, it appears that an injury this severe will not be treatable and becomes worse as he grows.

Please keep us in your thoughts while we wait for the second opinion and wait for a miracle.....

Shauna --

I'm so sorry about what Jedi and you have been dealing with and worried about. I had not ever heard of this kind of a situation, and am praying you will get better news this morning. I am just so sorry for what you and him have been going through!

Jill

Oh gosh, what a horrible thing to have happen. I hope for a positive outcome from the radiologist as well and that he will up, running and playing soon. He is a gorgeous colt, love his head!

Beth

I'm hoping you get some good news for your little Jedi today. I'm so sorry that he's going thru this.

Hoping for the best outcome for the little man.

I have not heard of the issue before and thank you for sharing the information as sad as it is to talk about, I am sure.

Crossing my fingers for good news today
default_yes.gif

And Shauna, you DO NOT have to apologize about the pics! You have had SO MUCH on your plate and that should be the least of your worries right now. I promise, I will live without them
default_rolleyes.gif
I will check back after class to see if there are any updates on Jedi.

Latest posts

Back