We are housing an evacuee!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauralee

Reaction score
Hi everyone~

As many of you know I had a hysterectomy on Aug 26. I have been glued to the news networks ever since before the storm hit, as I was immobilized to the couch for a good long while.

I made some calls this week and found out that our town was expecting several families of evacuees to a campground on the outskirts of town.

There is no real organizational effort in place for these people. This effort simply consists of several people and business and church owners who happened to find out that the evacuees were coming, showed up, and started helping.

The cabins are basically duplexes, air conditioned, very liveable and very nice.

I did an inventory of the things needed by the first two families which had arrived at 3am on Thursday. Went to WalMart, bought the needed items, and returned to the camp last night to receive 19 more evacuees into the camp.

Here are the descriptions of the people we have received: (*from what I can tell...some I have not had time to personally talk with, as we were very busy triaging the evacuees and screening for health needs)

One young woman, De'Ebony, had a C-section 4 weeks ago and had waded into the chest deep waters of New Orleans to get out with her newborn, 1 year old, and 3 year old. Her incision is separating and looks slightly infected. She has an appt to see an OBGYN today.

There is another family that has two women, a 15 year old, and a toddler.

Betty is the matriarch of a family group. Betty is diabetic and has a wheelchair for transportation. There are two middle aged women with her. One woman, Eldore, has two of her teenage sons, and another teenage boy with her. Betty has taken Ann under her wing. Ann is emotionally distraught and separated from her entire family. She also has health needs for her MS. Ann does not know where her family is located at this time. Ann refuses to be separated from Betty.

There is yet another group of people in the bunch, not necessarily relatives or family, but they are bonded in what they have been thru. I am hoping to get more information on them today.

Some have vehicles, loaded with donated clothes and supplies from the shelter in Louisiana where they were located previously.

There are many many stories to tell.....but right now there are TRANSPORTATION NEEDS.

DeShon's fiance is in Mesquite. She is afraid to ride the bus from Mesquite to East Texas alone. He needs a bus ticket to go there, pick her up, and come back to the camp with his fiance.

Eldore's oldest son, Anthony, is stranded in Arkansas. She needs him brought down to East TX. He was in the superdome and is very very traumatized from that experience.

Shulton's mom is in a shelter in Louisiana. He may need a ride there, or to have her brought here.

All of the evacuees are African American except Ann. They are wearing shower thongs and clothing that doesn't necessarily fit. It was hard to get any of them to actually SAY what they needed. They are grateful for what is being done and they are immobilized in their grief of loss at times. It became obvious to me that they would need newborn diapers for the little one (he is only 6 pounds at 1 month age), Similac, and strollers for the toddlers, as there is alot of distance from the cabins to the meeting hall. There are no TV';s in the cabins so they have to come to the hall to watch TV. We are working on getting cable setup for them so that they can watch CNN and such.

Tennis shoes are needed by virtually all of them.

Ann was hysterical when the camp manager told her that there would be no pets allowed. She has lost EVERYTHING and doesn't know where her family is right now. She brought her cat, Harley. Harley rode in the back of a pickup truck, in a pet taxi, for the trip. Harley did not make one peep for the entire evening. He is a large fluffy orange 8 year old cat with arthritic hips. As you can guess, Harley is our evacuee guest! He is doing quite well so far. He drank at LEAST 8 ounces of water when we fed him, he was sooo sooo thirsty. He is staying in my 12 year old daughter, Savanna's room, and she is taking over his care. We have assured Ann that she is going to come and visit as often as she wants!!! She is happy that he is with us, safe and sound. She is also excited to see the horses when she comes, as she is an animal lover.

Another couple has a very well behaved housedog that looks like a yorkie mix. This dog is a part of their family. They refused to send him to a vet clinic, or anywhere else. This is going to be addressed by the camp manager, but at this time, they are not confronting the owner, as they understand the frustration.

I'm going back to the camp at 8 am for half a day. After I get back I will post more. There is just so much to tell and I need to get ready and go, gotta drop by Wally World on my way and pick up more needed items.

*tears* God Bless You! And all the others who are helping.

Bless you! You are doing what many of us in other parts of the country wish they could!

{{HUGS}}

MA

Lauralee, I have posted on the forum and also e-mailed Alison at AMHA that Jerry and I would be willing to take in some horses. We are fenced and have water both fresh and ponds. We don't have any barns yet, but would be willing to take some in for pasturing. So far we haven't had any replies. Congrats on what you are doing. I feel totally helpless and useless not doing more. Here in northeastern Texas, that is all that is on TV, and all people talk about. It is such a totally devastating event!

Laura,

I am getting to be a sentimental, teary eyed lady in my older years and you touched me. I am always amazed at the depth of human kindness I witness in times of crisis. I am a crusty old ER nurse and lost my bleeding heart tendencies long ago but also have developed my compassion and caring for those really in need. Yes, those people really need help but by selflessly giving of your self and resources you are not only helping them but finding the best of yourself. The true measure of a person is not in how much they have or the things they can do but rather the inner strength and compassion they are willing to give to strangers in their time of need. You, along with other selfless people on this forum, have my utmost respect and best wishes as you do what needs to be done.

Kathi

You and your family are such wonderful caring people. My parents have expressed interest in helping a couple with housing here in VA.

Bless you for everything you are doing.

aktion033.gif
I'm sooo very glad you are close enough to help. Please keep us updated on these people.

Also I have a few pairs of old sneakers, I can put them in the mail to you on Monday. Let me know the address where you want them sent.

Laura email me about the transportation one in Mesquite, probably can do that run myself. Denise

Latest posts

Back