We Are Giving Our Members BACK $20! - AMHR Membership

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd say they can make more money for the registry if they open back up hardshipping to non breedable horses-i.e. geldings.
This came up at convention and I spoke out vehemently against it. That door is closed and now has to stay closed. By opening it back up you greatly undermine the value of registered geldings and stallions (of which there are plenty of geldings or stallions to geld!)

No breeder could ever compete with people being able to hardship in any unregistered gelding out there. There would be zero incentive for any breeder to geld or show geldings etc. Huge backward step for the entire registry and more importantly a bad step for the horses themselves.

We finally have the super gelding program etc going and we have to get the value of geldings UP to where they need to be!

Think about being a breeder and waiting all those months and feeding the mare. Then the price to register the colt. Then the price to geld him. Then put some training in him, advertise him, maybe show him.

Now think about someone picking up a grade gelding for 20.00 at auction and then hardshipping them in. See where this goes?

I am not a fan of the 20.00 rebate or whatever you want to call it. Like Jean I think there were a ton of better ways to reward members. The studbook idea is a FANTASTIC one.

But I never ever want to see unregistered geldings be able to register. Too harmful to all of us.

This came up at convention and I spoke out vehemently against it. That door is closed and now has to stay closed. By opening it back up you greatly undermine the value of registered geldings and stallions (of which there are plenty of geldings or stallions to geld!)

No breeder could ever compete with people being able to hardship in any unregistered gelding out there. There would be zero incentive for any breeder to geld or show geldings etc. Huge backward step for the entire registry and more importantly a bad step for the horses themselves.

We finally have the super gelding program etc going and we have to get the value of geldings UP to where they need to be!

Think about being a breeder and waiting all those months and feeding the mare. Then the price to register the colt. Then the price to geld him. Then put some training in him, advertise him, maybe show him.

Now think about someone picking up a grade gelding for 20.00 at auction and then hardshipping them in. See where this goes?

I am not a fan of the 20.00 rebate or whatever you want to call it. Like Jean I think there were a ton of better ways to reward members. The studbook idea is a FANTASTIC one.

But I never ever want to see unregistered geldings be able to register. Too harmful to all of us.
I guess I can see your point Kay. Makes sense

I don't see the harm. Everyone in this economy is trying to get your business (read $$). "Kids eat free"; "Buy one get one"; any and every idea. This was our registry's idea and most of us have some sort of business we need to conduct with the registry. So my view of it is: "why look a gift horse in the mouth!" Just use it and be glad you saved.

It is nice they're refunding the $20, so I guess we shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. It would have been better IMHO to offer six months free on the studbook as they're not out any $$ that way and people might get hooked into renewing using it.

Allowing unregistered geldings in, I'd so no to that for the reasons Kay stated. There'd be little incentive for breeders to register/geld colts. More would get dumped on the market unregistered and then brought in as unknown, etc.

I've always been in favor of keeping the price to register/perm a stallion high and geldings zero or nominal to cover the cost of the staff's time. That goes for both registries.

Members won't be getting a refund. Each FIRST MEMBER will get a $20 credit to their account. The credit should be used toward business. You can't get it refunded to you.

Joe Schroeter, director of finance for ASPC, gave an excellent presentation on the membership incentive. He had some very sound reasons explaining why this effort does NOT cost the registry any money and how it can stimulate business. You will STILL send in your $65. That money will STILL be in the general fund. You get essentially a virtual credit. It's like having a $20 gift certificate to a store. When I have a $20 gift certificate to my favorite bookstore, you can guarantee, I probably end up spending MORE than $20.

It's a "feel good" matter. It's designed to possibly stimulate renewals from among the HUGE number we've lost over the last 3 years. For some, it absolutely, positively was the principal about the $65. Will we generate large numbers? Who knows. A few. But, SOME are better than NONE.

It's also a promotional matter. Offer the sale, then you have a reason to contact some former members. You have a reason to promote the deal. Sure beats reaching out a saying, "hey ... renew." Much better to say, "just wanted to let you know we have this great offer if you'd like to take advantage."

Plus, the incentive is similar to the concept of the hardship sale in terms of its possibility to stimulate FUTURE business. With the hardship sale, perhaps there is less money being made on the actual transfers. However, there are many MORE horses being entered into the system ... horses that can then pay to go to local shows ... horses that may generate Futurity fees in the future ... horses that may get sold & result in a transfer fee, etc. More horses in the system leads to the possibility of more types of business on that horse in the future. That was potential business we NEVER had a shot at as long as the animal wasn't even registered with us. Same w/ the membership incentive. It might bring back a few people ... who in turn, might choose to do other business. Or, for someone like me, I might choose to advertise again since I have a $20 credit, something that I had completely sworn I was not spending another penny on for the foreseeable future. Or, I might buy one of the books. The $20 credit won't cover those items. I will still end up sending in more money .... money the registry would not have otherwise had.

And what about folks who are members who don't really do work? If they never use their credit, then the money is still there.

What's the fee on the stud book? Use your credit toward that. You still get a deal on the studbook ... in that you will pay $20 less toward it. And, I am not stuck w/ an incentive I absolutely have no interest in. I wouldn't want to be given access to the studbook so that wouldn't be "fantastic" to me. With the credit, there is at least flexibility. You can use YOUR credit toward something YOU prefer - maybe the studbook - while I can use MY credit toward something completely different that suits me better.

A $20 credit might stimulate someone to do some type of work they've never done before or had stopped doing. The credit is certainly an incentive & feel-good offer. However, this type of incentive can stimulate more business in a way that giving a book or providing access to the studbook might not.

Well said Amy--I was just going to post some of that very same stuff. I'll try not to duplicate anything already said...

For those saying this $20 credit should instead be free access to the studbook, I ask you this:

Does the ASPC have the server capacity/bandwidth to accomodate giving every member free studbook access or would that require a large expenditure to make that possible?

Don't we already have server slowdown issues when everyone is on checking show results at year end? Would it get worse if everyone had studbook access?

I believe the answers to those questions would be "no" and "yes". It's my understanding that the studbook and the show results are on the same server. I don't have the studbook but I know people have commented different times that they cannot get access to it because of high traffic...and I know that when there is high traffic we cannot get access to the show results--so if all members were given free studbook access it would be likely to shut things down more often, and what good does that do anyone? I also know that those members who do not have computers (yes, there are still people that don't have computers!) wouldn't be happy about being given free studbook access. That wouldn't be any incentive at all for them!

Giving everyone a $20 credit doesn't actually cost the registry anything but does generate transactions and transactions in turn generally generate more transactions. From a business standpoint it was a brilliant idea on Joe's part. Call it a "loss leader" if you will, the teaser to get them in and get them to spend more. I am told that the registry has already MADE money on the hardship sale - people have hardshipped over double the animals so far this year that had been hardshipped last year. So, in less than 3 months the registry has made more on hardshipping than it did in 2011! Without the 1/2 price sale you can be certain that a large number of those would not have been hardshipped now. Every one of those horses now has the potential to generate transfers, foal registrations, etc. From a business standpoint the more animals in the system, the more potential for paid transactions to be generated by those animals. Since people aren't doing much breeding and some people who are breeding aren't registering well this is a free foal registration for those people or a discount on a hardship of an older AMHA or ASPC animal for the other people. Win/win for the association! And the fact that letters with a survey are going out to every member who has not renewed in the last two years telling them about the credit if they renew will hopefully generate enough renewals to get some more transactions moving.

As for the cut in hours for office staff--I wonder if they would rather have had several of them keep their 5 days per week with one or more being cut completely? That is often the choice a business faces--reduce hours for all or keep most at full hours and completely eliminate 1 or more positions.

Well now, I guess I did repeat some of what Amy had already written. I couldn't help it. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I missed something. I will use my 20 bucks toward the stud book. I feel that he stud book is everything to us. Nothing more important to me. And I guess I have always thought that we should all have access to it included in our membership. But, I do realize that many don't care that much about pedigree.

What I can't figure out is why we are getting 20 bucks back. Is it that we just have so much money?

I have another problem with the $20 credit. I have one gelding that I drive. I am not planning on getting another mini nor do I plan on showing. So what do I spend my $20 on? There is nothing for me to buy, do not need the stud book.. Can I use this $20 credit to renew for 2013?

New mini I am sure that this $20 credit will be in your file until you use it. I understand where you are coming from as last year all I spent on was new membership and amateur card, but that $20 will be there.

This is an incentive to bring members back or bring in new members. I am sure if they felt this would loose them money they would not have done this. Same goes for the 50% off hardshipping and I am glad to hear that its already made a profit. The same can go for this. The FACT that you MUST become a member to do ANY paperwork can loose members and money. This would be a relief to those that are paying a $65 membership fee who don't have a lot of paperwork to send in. How much money is the registry loosing when people put paperwork back behind because they want to avoid paying that membership fee. I was defintelly disappointed that you must be a member to do any paperwork, I feel this looses money. Members are the back bone of this registry, if we can bring in members by this then great! Also I hate to see people have such a negative approach to this, if the registry saw this perhaps they won't have another incentive for members again. Hopefully this will go amazingly well.

Also I already have the studbook so offering it for members for free won't do me any good, and I also agree that members should have access at least for a lesser charge, JMO.

Excellent posts Amy and Minimor!

Again ... no one is getting $20 back. You are getting a credit to your account to use toward additional business. It's a move to stimulate renewals and lead to additional business. It's designed to be a positive incentive based on how incredibly successful the hardship sale has been. The hardship sale has brought in more horses ... horses for which other business may eventually be conducted.

If you are opposed to it, you don't have to take advantage it. You can choose never to use your credit.

If you like the Stud Book and think the incentive should be there, then think of this offer as a 40% off sale on that product ... because that is what getting $20 toward the total purchase price equates to ... 40% off the studbook.

If you aren't able use the credit, it's unfortunate. I know my favorite stores offer discounts all the time that I am not always able to take advantage of. Seems I am always throwing away coupons to free cardstock at my favorite scrapbook store because I didn't get in by the expiration date.

Still, I am like JMS Miniatures ... it's the thought that counts. I am still amazed that - no matter what efforts are created with good intentions and w/ well-reasoned goals in mind - some only find the negative. Perhaps I should have complained about the hardship sale because it doesn't benefit me personally. Instead, I applaud the association for this incentive as well as the membership incentive.

I appreciate the board's approval of this deal. I thank our director of finance for beging so proactive on matters like this. I will continue to encourage and support things that are positive .... from work sales to membership incentives to youth essay contests to the historical committee making sure the way was clear to begin work toward celebrating the 25th anniversary of the AMHR National Show next year. NONE of those things HAD to happen.

But ... how nice that things like that do exist ... courteous of those who get involved and work at it rather than just bemoaning the sad state of things.

I for one am VERY grateful for this! Excellent posts, Amy.

Thank You BOD! I too have paid all of my membership fee's, stud book, and ammy cards back in December. I now have several babies coming so this $20 credit will be applied towards the first foal's registration. I'm looking forward to more incentives in the future whether I can use them or not. Something for EVERYONE.

I think it's just another great idea from the registry. Thanks to the BOD.. Just another reason I love AMHR......... I think I will use mine toward the stud book

Still, I am like JMS Miniatures ... it's the thought that counts. I am still amazed that - no matter what efforts are created with good intentions and w/ well-reasoned goals in mind - some only find the negative. Perhaps I should have complained about the hardship sale because it doesn't benefit me personally. Instead, I applaud the association for this incentive as well as the membership incentive.

I appreciate the board's approval of this deal. I thank our director of finance for beging so proactive on matters like this. I will continue to encourage and support things that are positive .... from work sales to membership incentives to youth essay contests to the historical committee making sure the way was clear to begin work toward celebrating the 25th anniversary of the AMHR National Show next year. NONE of those things HAD to happen.

But ... how nice that things like that do exist ... courteous of those who get involved and work at it rather than just bemoaning the sad state of things.
I so agree with this post, I am so tired of all the negativity on any and everything!

Latest posts

Back