We are getting weaned (update mission accomplished...took pix)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vickie gee

Reaction score
Breezy will be turning 6 months next weekend and Elvis will be 5 months. According to the almanac we will start this on the 28th. I am so glad they will have each other. Looks like the only way I will have their moms out of sight will be to put the moms down in the pen I have for my Insulin Resistant mare. She will come up to the corrall with the little ones but I suppose she will be put in the big stall with her soaked hay in order to keep her out of the regular hay. While I am home I can let her in with the babies as long as the regular hay is not out. She loves the babies. I just hope they are
default_517.gif
not cry baby udder babies for long. And yes, Elvis is still very much a tiny little thing with the exception of his chunky rump...my little Cabbage Patch horsey. 040.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep us posted on how it goes! I have 3 to wean the next month - starting August 25 if using the Farmer's Almanac.

It started out going fine. Then this afternoon I went down to check the two mares and put more hay out for them. I noticed that Choctaw has some bite marks on her back and a scrape one her ankle. Apparently Faith was being a "witch with a b" to her. I walked back to the barn to get the vetericyn to spray on the injuries. When I got back I could not find Choctaw.
default_new_shocked.gif

Then I found her wedged between the back wall of the run in shed and the property line fence. I told my husband when he built that an animal could squeeze its way through.
default_gaah.gif
The temp is well over 100 and poor Choctaw cannot go forward or backward or turn around. We ended up getting the cordless screwdriver and removing the back wall. Yay, now more air flow anyway! Breezy and Elvis are looking for udders on each other, as well as on the 3 aunties that are babysitting. That has not been well received by anyone.

Just one more reason I'm happy to not be breeding anymore
default_smile.png
. Weaning foals breaks my heart.... So stressful on everyone....

Just one more reason I'm happy to not be breeding anymore
default_smile.png
. Weaning foals breaks my heart.... So stressful on everyone....
I hear ya Matt. The first couple of days are pretty stressful.

Does anyone know if soaked beet pulp should or should not be in the mares diets while their bag is drying up? I am only letting them have hay and water so far. They are getting 2-3 hours out in pasture in the evening for the exercise mainly. The pasture is not lush but the recent rain has provided some grazing at least. I close the barn door so the little ones cannot see their moms while they are in pasture. They have plenty of fans and a nice auntie. Thankfully the mares' bags are getting softer and smaller (day 3).

I would just do the hay and water for at least two weeks....that's what I've always done.

Update: Eleven days later and mission accomplished. Gatorade was a big help for the horses. Turned them out together this morning. Will post some pix on the photo thread of the "big kids" later.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back