WCMHR

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MountainWoman

Reaction score
I came across this registry the other day and hadn't heard of it before. Just wondering what it is and if anyone has experience with it. Thanks.

There have been many posts on this in the past so feel free to read those. World class is a registry pretty much for horses that can't be registered in A or R. They do have 1 show a year in VA, but was just canceled, so if you are not in the area it is pointless. WC papers don't increase value and in the past people have issues with lost paperwork. I've never had any trouble but that's my personal experience.

I have worked with them before with no issues. Their show is a lot of fun and the people there are very helpful. The registration certificates do not hold a lot of value in the breeding shed...however they are an approved outcross registry for the Pinto horse assoc. of America. If a person has a mini that cannot be reg. A or R, he/she can be hardship reg. WCMHR for a LOT LESS money than A or R, and then reg. PtHA and get an opportunity to show at the pinto shows. Some of the local shows in my area only allow horses with papers to show in breed classes even though they are not rated or actually affiliated with the breed associations, so the WCMHR papers would be of help in that situation too.

Thank you both. That helped me understand and I'll look into the past posts.

I paid to register a stallion I had... They cashed my check and never sent me papers no matter how I contacted them. I'm not the only one this has happened to... So I strongly feel to not support this unprofessional "registry".

Not really valued. Yup do a forum search
default_smile.png

When I first read about WCMHR, I wanted badly for them to be a valid alternative or addition to AMHR and AMHA, but judging from the experience of others, this registry is a big disappointment.

Now that both registries have seen fit to close hardshipping, it would be nice to have a venue for owners of grade and oversize minis to show their horses, but sadly this registry is not the answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
my gelding is registered there. I went the show last year, nice show but not so nice of a venue. was excited about this year but it was canceled!
default_sad.png
I think they could do better if they did shows more than once a year and in more places than Virginia.

There used to be a club in New York that held several shows sanctioned by the WCMHR. I will look and see if I can find out what the name of it was. I agree that they do not hold much value in the breeding shed, but they are useful in getting horses registered for color and performance.

If they have no value in the breeding shed, what makes you think they'd have any value in color or performance? For me, the whole point of showing would be to show you have one of the best... It appears that WCMHR is nothing more than a 'show up and you'll get a ribbon' type of registry... They don't appear to be promoting conformation and quality breeding... They'll register anything.

eta: I'd much prefer to hardship into AMHA even though I'll have to have my mare examined, approved or vetted by a director. At least then I'll know my mare is worthy of being registered.

I am glad that some people can get their mini reg. so that they can show at shows that allow WCMHR as there are breeders out

there selling their minis cheaper without their papers or some people aren't bothering to register their foals as the market has

dropped. lots of WCMHR horses have just as good as breeding as the horse standing beside them that is AMHA or AMHR reg.

Lots of horses that are not good enough to be in the breeding shed make awesome horses in performance or driving and thank

goodness there are people that buy those horses and show or else there would be nobody at the horse shows.

I am glad that some people can get their mini reg. so that they can show at shows that allow WCMHR as there are breeders out

there selling their minis cheaper without their papers or some people aren't bothering to register their foals as the market has

dropped. lots of WCMHR horses have just as good as breeding as the horse standing beside them that is AMHA or AMHR reg.

Lots of horses that are not good enough to be in the breeding shed make awesome horses in performance or driving and thank

goodness there are people that buy those horses and show or else there would be nobody at the horse shows.
My daughter and I are the owner of one of these horses. When we got him, I didn't care about papers, and the previous owner hadn't gotten papers for him. He was a pet so it didn't matter to me. Years later we found out about mini shows, and we would not have been able to show him if it hadn't been for WCMHR. It has opened a whole new world to us.

If they have no value in the breeding shed, what makes you think they'd have any value in color or performance? For me, the whole point of showing would be to show you have one of the best... It appears that WCMHR is nothing more than a 'show up and you'll get a ribbon' type of registry... They don't appear to be promoting conformation and quality breeding... They'll register anything.

Our horse is a gelding. We have absolutely no illusions as to his quality. And he is 18 years old! We started showing last summer, not because we think we have one of the best, but because it is fun, we meet great people, and it gives us some goals to work towards. He is a competitive jumper and hunter and we enjoy the challenge of obstacle. We sometimes even show liberty- not because he'll win, but because it is fun. My daughter is planning to show him in youth driving and maybe obstacle driving soon.

I totally agree with selective and careful breeding for the very best! But the reality is that there are many minis out there that may not have papers for any number of reasons, or have only WCMHR papers. Some have come from bad situations and were rescued or are older minis that no one wants anymore. I think it is great that there is a way for these horses to be recognized and shown. And they can be good performance horses!

There are still fun shows and open breed shows available to show a Miniature whether it's registered or not... And, there is also VSE CDE competitions available that also do not require a registered horse, regardless of size.

I have to agree with Max's Mom.

Using the logic of "if it has no value in the breeding shed it's worthless", must be why nobody gelds their stallions. Because evryone knows that a gelding is totally useless in the breeding shed. However, they make fabulous performance horses, companions and best friends.

Everyone should breed for the best horse possible. However what I deem "the best horse possible" is based upon my life experience and what I value in my horses. What you deem "the best horse possible" is based upon what your life experience is and what you value in your horses. If we all bred for the same thing there would not be hundreds of breeds of horses to choose from and life would be downright boring.

Lots of "newbies" pay for "registered" horses who only have WCMHR papers (worthless) because they don't know better. The registry has no standards and it is simply a business. One that has kept the money people used to buy "papers" and not sent the papers when it comes to people I personally know, and others I know through this site. I don't think the betterment of our breed is at all on the radar of WCMHR.

Additionally, this outfit has been around for a LONG time. If they were going to make it work, they seemed to have missed the chance years and years ago through bad choices and poor management. They would not be cancelling the ONE (1) show they host, nor have moved it to less nice facilities, if they had visions of sticking around. At one point, I think it could have been something but that was more than a decade ago and first hand experience and observation has shown me the score when it comes to WCMHR.

An old horseman told me once "you do not ride the papers". I fully understand the difference in value between a horse reg. with the AMHA/AMHR and horses registered with the WCMHR, as they do not have strict requirements like the others. However there is a part of me that feels that ALL registries are a business-thus needing to generate income. I am by no means disrespecting the work and dedication of the registries in preserving the breed, however I have qualms about the high fees for membership and registry work. I know that is costs a lot to maintain a registry, but what I am referring to are the thousands of horses that have papers and still have poor conformation.

I have a mare in my barn with A and R papers, whom I purchased at part of a package deal. She is crookeder than bow legged heifer. She is the ugliest mare I have ever seen, I keep her ( I DO NOT BREED HER) simply because I wouldn't sell her to my worst enemy. But she has papers, her parents have papers and so on, and they are all crooked as heck! Her breeder could not understand why I was not impressed with her because she was DOUBLE REGISTERED! Now, I have a lovely mare who's parents were AMHA reg. but never updated from temp. so she cannot be papered. I reg. her WCMR so my students could get her pinto papers and show her at the pinto shows. She is a gorgeous mare with flawless conformation and I am blessed to have her, as she is the best behaved mare I have ever met. But she has "worthless" papers, even though she produces beautiful and correct foals. In a flooded market with far too many poor representations of the breed, I get so frustrated when a horse with good conformation is valued less than a poor quality one because of papers. I guess what I am saying is that I wish that possessing those A and R papers provided more of a representation of quality than what I have seen. I personally feel that the standards of the A and R create the illusion that horses worthy of that registration certificate are superior. I do not mean any disrespect, as I know that breeders have worked for generations to improve the breed. But I no longer feel that having those papers guaranteed quality, as just having registered parents, does not necessarily mean that you are producing quality offspring. I do feel better about going to look at a horse, knowing that is has papers, however I still look at conformation , as I know that being crooked, does not get a horse denied for registration.

As a breeder, I place conformation, attitude and way of going over "papers" as you do not put the halter on the papers and parade those around the arena. I fully respect the preservation of the quality of the breed and factor pedigree and lineage into my breeding program. I just caution people about relying too heavily on "papers" when the actual quality of the horse is paramount to preserving the integrity of the breed. I fully understand that to the majority of the small horse enthusiasts, only A and R papers are valued, and if your horse has these, then do not bother registering with the WCMHR. But if your horse is of quality or has passed the opportunity to get those papers, then go for it. Personally I have been able to register a few GREAT horses with the PtHA as outcrossed WCMHR horses and they have gone on to do very well in the color and performance ring. I think that sometimes people forget with the minis that it is not all about breeding (or at least it shouldn't be). There is an amazing world of performance opportunities out there for these amazing little horses and papers do not make them jump any higher or run any faster. I just caution people in making blanket statements about any registry as I have seen super quality WC horse and pretty crappy quality A and R horses. Okay, off my soapbox. Thanks.

Why would you have to register a pinto Miniature with WCMHR before registering it with the PTHA? I've checked with them, and you don't have to have a previously registered horse to register with them... You're just paying extra registration fees for no reason.
Here's a direct quote from their website: " PtHA can also register horse mares and geldings based on their color alone as well as any sex of ponies and minis."

Latest posts

Back