Water Heater

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AJ

Reaction score
I tested the concept and it does work. I took a "floodlamp" light bulb (think it is 100 watt) and a small piece of 2" styrofoam. Made a hole and screwed the bulb through the hole into a light cord so that the styrofoam now creates a float. (wood would also work) Placed the bulb in a 1/2 plastic barrel waterer with about 20 gallons of water, just outside , in the snow with no cover. Plugged it in and this morning it was not only ice-free, the water temp was +43 F and , while the temp was -5 F. For colder temps the efficiency could be improved with insulating the barrel/trough, setting it on insulating base or using higher wattage bulb. Trick is to only turn light on while in the water. All my horses have ice-free waterers now, but will keep on hand and could readily devise safe use for the horses.

I can semi piicture your setup, but do you have a pic for the part of my vision that is lacking
smile.gif

Al, I know that this will definitely warm water however I have a concern. If that bulb would ever break the electrodes inside the bulb will feed 110 volts into the water and that sounds like an electroction issue.

Perhaps you are aware of that, but I was worried that others who read this might not be aware of the problem and will set or float the bulb in the water.

Think safety if someone sets this up the bulb must be protected, tank heaters cost more but are definitely safer. Also if a bulb would break you'd have to fish small sharp shards of glass out of the water before a horse "drank" them.

Anne

You better ask an electrician your asking to electrocute your horses.

I have seen a 16 hand Q.H. knocked to his knees from a short in a REGULAR water heater.

If that bulb is underwater the metal that it screws into is LIVE. It will most likely kill a miniature horse instantly.

Are you saying your bulb is just floating around freely with only a 2" piece of syrofoam between it and the water? NO NO.

[SIZE=14pt]Please post a picture [/SIZE]--- I am imagination challenged!! It SOUNDS like a creative idea that should work beautifully -- I just can't picture it.

THANKS!

JJay

No pic, but..Anne- a "floodlight" bulb/lamp is thick glass and does not shatter and leave shards like a incandescent bulb.

Less than 1/2 of bulb is in the water on the underside of the float(styrofoam) and the top (metal/electrical) part is on the top side of float. With horses not having access (grate divider) to float/lamp, it is impossible to totally submerge. Would ensure lamp could not go to close to the bottom. Also, all cords around horses and wet places should be plugged into "no fault" outlets.

No way, no how, I am going to put ANY type of bulb directly into the water. I don't care how safe the electric supply is, or how safe that Bullb might be.. Uff Da.

Yikes..That is all I am going to state on this procedure..JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=14pt]AJ,[/SIZE]

I am a certified electrician and what you have rigged up is very dangeruos to your horses and yourself! Heat lamps and / or flood lights are not made to withstand constance exposure to water!
no.gif
They will crack and they will eletricute you or your hosese! Please invest in a stock tank heater that's made to keep your water from freezing! It doesn't matter if you have your light on a ground fault breaker or a GFIC circuit, it's still very dangerous!
ohmy.gif

Bill

Water and electric always if not aproved is a NO NO.

I am in shock (no pun intended) that somebody would even try something like this, much less want to try it for themselves after reading this post. Man oh man.

Relic said:
Water and electric always if not aproved is a NO NO.
517784[/snapback]

I really try not to make negative posts, but I'm going to be really blunt on this one since someone might follow it and kill their horse - or electricute themselves!.

This is the STUPIDEST thing I have ever heard of!

There are tested and approved water heaters out there that cost no more than a heat lamp do. Why would anyone try to rig something that could kill their horse! Even if they don't die from shock, a horse can sense electricity and some will die of thirst before they try to take a drink if they sense a current.

[SIZE=14pt]No !! No !!! NO !!!!!!!!![/SIZE]

All you need is one playful young (or old) horse to push that thing around, maybe dunk it, and you have FRIED HORSE!!!!!! I mean TOTALLY fried!

Just have to make mention here.....if water and electricity do not mix WHY do you all support using stock tank heaters? both submersible and floating? IN a raw form you are using exactly what was just described....but the GFI is now built into the heater unit.......

Now I do know if you build a box to encase your stock tank and line it with the hard foam insulation...then cut out a head insertion hole....water tanks can remain frost free at lower temps without using any of the heatin devices
wink.gif
my preference having been electrocuted twice
new_shocked.gif
biggrin.gif
new_shocked.gif
biggrin.gif
new_shocked.gif

IN a raw form you are using exactly what was just described....but the GFI is now built into the heater unit.......
That is like comparing Apples to Oranges!

For one thing those elements are Made for use in water just like a electric hot water heater, and for another thing it is under the waters surface close to the bottom of the tank OR...If it is a floating type the heating element is inside and built into the unit,.. This on the Other hand is Just a Light Bulb made of Glass~! Or sure they can be used in the outdoors when it is raining or snowing BUT the main difference it is in its own protected socket and Nobody nor animal is getting and touching this~!. That bulb leaks just a tiny tiny amount with an animal touching it GFI Circuit or not That is a Direct Ground to the animal OR PERSON and BINGO that animal OR PERSON is fried Right now~! Big Big difference here and the Heaters That are MADE for using in water...Light Bulbs sure as heck aren't, even if they are so called Water prove for Out door use not for Immersion into water~!

For those that have electric Hot Water Heaters at there houses...Those elements are THE SAME Elements that are used in these Horse Water tank Heaters~! no difference and Nobody thinks about that I bet cha
ohmy.gif
Hmmm amazing isn't it? Nobody gives a thought about using water from a shower a nice ground and that Hot water is being heated the same way as the horse water tank heaters
biggrin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
shminifancier said:
IN a raw form you are using exactly what was just described....but the GFI is now built into the heater unit.......
That is like comparing Apples to Oranges!

For one thing those elements are Made for use in water just like a electric hot water heater, and for another thing it is under the waters surface close to the bottom of the tank OR...If it is a floating type the heating element is inside and built into the unit,.. This on the Other hand is Just a Light Bulb made of Glass~! Or sure they can be used in the outdoors when it is raining or snowing BUT the main difference it is in its own protected socket and Nobody nor animal is getting and touching this~!. That bulb leaks just a tiny tiny amount with an animal touching it GFI Circuit or not That is a Direct Ground to the animal and BINGO that animal is fried Right now~! Big Big difference here and the Heaters That are MADE for using in water...Light Bulbs sure as heck aren't, even if they are so called Water prove for Out door use not for Immersion into water~!

For those that have electric Hot Water Heaters at there houses...Those elements are THE SAME Elements that are used in these Horse Water tank Heaters~! no difference and Nobody thinks about that I bet cha
ohmy.gif
Hmmm amazing isn't it? Nobody gives a thought about using water from a shower a nice ground and that Hot water is being heated the same way as the horse water tank heaters
biggrin.gif

519431[/snapback]

Yes ...well it is a darn good thing people didn't listen to all the naysayer...because if they had....Y'all would still be living by candlelight and heating with fireplaces..there would be no computers, nor phones..........oh and you are right all those LIGHTS I see in swimming pools mean lights definately aren't meant for use in water...suggest you purchase and look closely at one of those

frusty.gif
frusty.gif
frusty.gif

runamuk said:
......oh and you are right all those LIGHTS I see in swimming pools mean lights definately aren't meant for use in water...suggest you purchase and look closely at one of those
frusty.gif

frusty.gif

frusty.gif

519460[/snapback]

Hmm ok well that is a good point ya got there
smile.gif

runamuk said:
oh and you are right all those LIGHTS I see in swimming pools mean lights definately aren't meant for use in water...
519460[/snapback]

Ah...but those lights ARE designed to be used underwater. Key word here being "designed". Flood lamps and most other bulbs are NOT.

Heidi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back