Watch those cattle panels...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Field of Dreams I just sent you a PM - it is something we have used for over 35 years on things from nasty wire cuts to other stuff that normally would have left an ugly scar.... and it's cheap and easy. I forgot, use it two times a day- or three if it really needs it to start the first week.

We have had Corona and other products leave nasty scars. Fura ointments, neosporin and all those other things are ok for bacterial problems but have nothing in them to prevent scarring.

Here is what we use- get a jar of plain Vaseline. Put some of it in a jar like a baby food jar. Get some Farnams Wonder Dust from your tack shop. Mix as much dust as you can into the vaseline to make it a paste ointment instead of dry. You will need to mix a bit at a time until it's pretty thick- I just use my finger to mush it all together.

We apply this twice a day, and I wish I had photos of the results over the years with various wounds. The vaseline keeps the skin moist and acts as a base for the paste. Wonder Dust is made specifically to STOP any proud flesh and scarring. If a wound is fresh and oozy- we use it as the straight powder and it helps to stop infection as well. Once an icky wound has a dry scab, we use it with the vaseline until it is all healed.

It WILL let the hair grow back in, it also helps stop the white hair that you see grow in on so many scars, etc.. and we have had fantastic results with this. I have tried other things on the market as new things come out over the years and we are NEVER without this in our tack room!!!!

The only other thing we use is Cut Heal, but that is for deep muscle wounds and cannot be used on face, legs or other 'bonier' parts of the horse.

I am telling you guys, this stuff is cheap and it WORKS!!

I don't know if this will help your horse, but it's worth a try. One of mine got a real bad deep cut about 4 in long. I waited & the hair never started growing back. Someone told me to put vitamin e oil on it. Within no time at all, the hair grew back over the scar & I didn't even do it every day. You can't even tell where it was now. Sorry he got hurt....i hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I swear by a product called Cornucrescine Original Hoof Ointment (they have other products too, this one comes in alittle tub that lasts a looong time). it is a hoof ointment (works wonders for that purpose as well btw) but it also helps minimize scarring and grow back the hair. I don't think you can use it in an open wound, but once it is well under way to being healed, rub a little on and the hair will grow back so fast its amazing! My gelding had large bald patches from lice, and after only 2 or 3 days using cornucrescine he had signifigant hair growth. (my fingernails and his heels and coronet bands were very healthy too!)

The product I use claims to promote the fastest healing!!!!

it is called Nu-Stock, and I have used it on all types of cuts, and loss of hair problems on my minis and have yet to be disappointed!

It heals hot spots, and promotes the fastest hair growth, and eliminates soreness.

It also takes care of screw worm, and ring worm. It does alot of other healing type stuff, and has a strong sulpher smell so the flies stay away! ....You only need to apply it every 3 days.

I would highly recommend this product for you.

you can phone them if you dont see some at you local feed stores, at (913) 363-4871.

or visit their site at http://www.nustock.com

Hope the lil guy heals up fast!...Mary :saludando:

Oh Lucy! I'm SO sorry!!! Your poor boy
default_sad.png
We've had good luck with Cut Heal, but that looks like it needs to be moist too.

Oh my.... the boy is hurt, I am so sorry.

We use also Vaseline and Wonder Dust mix works great for horses and dogs too.

Keep us posted how he's doing

A

Oh I cannot believe that I forgot my favorite and most secret anti-scar weapon. Emu oil. Honestly...there is nothing in the world as good as that stuff to promote scarless healing.

kay, is the stuff you're talking about come in a black plastic "jar" with yellow top?? It's a yellow cream/paste stuff........Fura-Zone (or something close to that?) Your vet will have it, TSC has it....ext...cheap too, only about $10 per jar.

I use it for any cut I get; about 5 yrs ago I had a horse get bite by something (maybe coyote?) I don't know, only time something like that has ever happened, but it had to be a bite. It was right behind the the armpit area and back 3-4" sort of in the "girth" part.....it was a HOLE I could put my fist in.....and "see" inside. Water hose/hydrotherapy every day, then fill full of the Fura-zone, then in that area I actually did a loose vet wrap around his girth.....only because it was June (fly season down here) and this was a chunk missing a good 3" deep inside him; healed from the inside out and was totally closed up in about two weeks, and all you were able to see even now is a tiny tiny hump, about the size of the end of your pinky finger.

ok this sounds gross but try Preparation H - my filly had cut herself under her mane, bad enough it should have been stitched but we didn't see it in time... an old cowboy friend of ours told us to try Preparation H, it draws tissue together... this was a GAPING cut and it didn't even leave a tiny scar, we can't tell where it was any more.

for old wounds that left a scar where hair won't grow, we have been told to use bacon grease... contrary to what you might think it does NOT attract flies and our friend swears by it...

whatever you decide to try, i wish you good luck and don't be afraid to show even if he does scar!

kay, is the stuff you're talking about come in a black plastic "jar" with yellow top?? It's a yellow cream/paste stuff........Fura-Zone (or something close to that?) Your vet will have it, TSC has it....ext...cheap too, only about $10 per jar.

I use it for any cut I get; about 5 yrs ago I had a horse get bite by something (maybe coyote?) I don't know, only time something like that has ever happened, but it had to be a bite. It was right behind the the armpit area and back 3-4" sort of in the "girth" part.....it was a HOLE I could put my fist in.....and "see" inside. Water hose/hydrotherapy every day, then fill full of the Fura-zone, then in that area I actually did a loose vet wrap around his girth.....only because it was June (fly season down here) and this was a chunk missing a good 3" deep inside him; healed from the inside out and was totally closed up in about two weeks, and all you were able to see even now is a tiny tiny hump, about the size of the end of your pinky finger.
Perhaps you may want to reconsider using Furazone if you do some research on it even if you have had success with it up to now. I know it's been around for years but it not only is it carcinogenic but people using it can have severe skin reactions. It used to be the balm of choice up until a few years ago but now not even vets recommend the stuff because they have found it impedes healing in many cases, especially when used below the heart and can promote proud flesh. I have also read it is now banned for use on food grade animals because of the toxicity. Had a jar and tossed it when my vet showed me the research. For deep wounds like the one this little guy has I would use silver sulfadiazine cream which is also water soluable but has antibiotic in it as well to minimize infection. It's gentle enough that it's main use if for burn patients but is also for veterinary use for wounds like this to minimize scarring. Unfortunately it is Rx only and pricey but well worth it considering the risks of using furazone.

My yealing TB had a 4" x 2 " unstitchable gash on her cannon that was down to the bone and within 2 weeks it had closed without infection or swelling. There is no scar on her leg other than some residual puffiness that is expected to resolve within a few months.

ETA: Cattle panels are the worst. Triggy almost had a terrible accident with them but luckily I was there to cut him out of the dang thing. I didn't realize what an accident waiting to happen they were until that.

Last edited:
I have always used Horseman's Dream. I want to say over 20 years. An old friend of mine was boarding a mare of mine. The mare tried to jump her fence of cattle wire and actually fell into it. She tore her knee up really really bad. I recommended the Horsemens's Dream. There is no scar anywhere to be seen. If you had seen the cut you would never have believed it and that was in a place that you would think would scar really bad with it moving and constantly breaking open, but no scar at all. I love that stuff!

Just saw Bio Oil advertised to reduce scars for humans... I'm going to find and try that on myself. Have had a few surgeries that I would like to see if it works on me. Don't know that it would be suitable for animals... probably not. Just thought I would mention it.

Kim

Mederma is the product I had seen advertised! Like I said, no idea if it's okay for horses.

With the cattle panels, I have had a horse once that I saw get her legs through it but she got right back out w/o being hurt. I think that this guy got hurt b/c it was off the ground. You know I hate hate hate to tempt fate, but as far as miniature horse fencing goes, I think that cattle panels are among the safest forms of fencing you can use.

Gods of Fate -- no, I am not issuing a challange!

i wonder if that was it but i thought it was a white jar. sure sounds like the same thing. the vet did warn me that hair and some skin would slough off (and it did) but im telling you in 2 weeks you would have never known there was a huge cut there. And he never got any proud flesh. I kept thinking he needed stitches but the vet said the cream was better because as said they have to heal from the inside out

we dont use cattle panels and never did find out how he did it.

Well Triggy,

I have had no ill reactions to the Furazone at all; me nor the horses.

It seems like several medical things; things are good - then they are bad - then they realize maybe they aren't bad - then they are good, then bad again ext.....

But for me my vet is one one of the best in the state, equine vet only and for things like this, is what he recommends and uses on his personal horses too.

But for me I have a jar in the trailer, in the barn and at the house and couldn't be without it. Never had any hair slough off, no skin reactions, no burning......not saying it can't happen, been using the stuff forever seems like though with no problems.

for old wounds that left a scar where hair won't grow, we have been told to use bacon grease... contrary to what you might think it does NOT attract flies and our friend swears by it...
Yes I know several farms around here that use and have had success with the bacon grease for growing hair........I haven't tried it yet, but they have had luck with it.

Someone was asking the other day whether MTG worked or not and I replied that I really liked it, and that it smelled like an old remedy (sulphur) that my late father in law used to use. It was bacon grease and yellow sulphur mixed into a paste. The salt in the bacon grease and the sulphur helped heal, and the grease from the bacon kept the area supple and let the hair grow back. I don't think you can find or buy the sulphur otc anymore, but if you can, it is one of the best healers of cuts, allowing the hair to grow back without turning white, and keeping the scarring to a bare minimum. If it were my horse, I think I would use a good medication given me by the vet for healing, then put on the MTG, or homemade bacon grease and yellow sulphur. Hope you find some good ideas on this thread, and hopefully the boy will grow back his hair and finish up his HOF.

By the way, it was very nice to meet you at the show over the week-end Lucy. Good to put faces with names!

Be careful using too many medications on it. That alone can cause it not to heal the way you want, just due to the reactions it may cause with the skin. I would pick one, and use just that, and not switch back and forth or change around. Our vet of many years ago told us that.

Latest posts

Back