Washington State is Now Safer - Gun Control

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was the one that mentioned sheeple. I don't mind an insinuation that I am trying to be cool. It is worth it if it helps just any of ewe that would otherwise believe these crooked politicians that want to do away with the second amendment to instead just open your eyes and perhaps wake the flock up.

More gun control, especially in the form of enhanced background checks, is never going to prevent mass shootings (or any shooting) from happening when the will is there. Enacting more stringent background checks is a feel-good measure to appease the public and make it appear as if the officials are taking action. In essence, to lull the easily led into a false sense of being protected. Criminals will always have guns. More gun control regulation will only hinder law-abiding citizens from being able to protect their lives and those of their families.

So agree! It would be pretty cool, and I imagine eye opening for some, to find out the unbiased statistics of violent gun crimes actually carried out by those who were "cleared" to have that particular gun in their possession. I'd be surprised if the answer wasn't not very many.

Riverrose, I agree. As for the jargon, it's always so much easier to use insulting names and suggest that those who disagree are stupid or do not think for themselves. The truth is, they (we) simply disagree. And so it goes.

Like Jill, I have to wonder about the number of violent crimes carried out by those who were cleared for gun ownership. While you don't hear much on those stories you can certainly read about lots of situations where a good person with a gun stopped a bad person with a gun if you are doing your homework. For sure, the media does not report many of those stories.

AngC, sorry the vote there turned out like it did there and I have to agree with you that the Marysville incident swayed it.

Recently saw a comic strip that had two scenes. The one on the left showed Obama holding a sign that said GUN CONTROL. The words he spoke are "If there's a step we can take to save even ONE CHILD we should take that step." On the right we have the same Obama holding up a sign that says PLANNED PARENTHOOD. The words he spoke in this scene are "Never Mind." Have to wonder how that one child thing ever works. Perhaps it all depends on the tying of the heartstrings prior to them being pulled on. In all probability I will likely never understand how that works.

Sorry about the "sheeple" questioning. I had to google it; I'm too old to be up on the latest slang.

People that want to kill will kill; regardless of how many tools (a gun is just a tool) we outlaw.

I learned something I didn't realize on the news this past weekend. There were two shootings here in WA in the past couple years. One was a young girl (over in Bremerton) where a schoolmate got the gun from the mother's boyfriend and shot her at school (she lived.) Another was an off-duty police officer that left his weapon in the cup-holder; his young son got ahold of it and shot his sister--killed her. One adult in the Bremerton incident was charged and convicted; on appeal it was overturned because there was no "direct cause-effect" between the adult and the shooting. The cop was tried and a jury found him innocent (I'm guessing for the same reason?)

I'm very much against gun control, but I kind of wonder about adults that allow children to get ahold of weapons, not being held liable. ...especially a police officer. He of all people should know better.

Regardless, I would fight any further legislation because, when those gun haters get a foot in the door, they keep on going. And send grizzly bears my way that will try to eat NIcky. Logical? ...probably not.

Well said most of ya!

However "The" point for the second is still being skirted. Yes, self defense is a major but also secondary purpose for this indispensable protection.

Now, our founders were quite clear and concise in their insistence upon the seconds inclusion. THEY didn't mince words but came right out in the open and stated that the seconds PRIMARY purpose was as a final check on government usurpation of God given rights to Life, Liberty and property (pursuit of happiness). We on the other hand seem to be unable to clearly state this SINGULAR purpose. Do you not think that government KNOWS this SINGULAR purpose? Quite obviously they DO or they would not be so myopically focused on taking this final protection away from you.

I would encourage all "pro" folk to stop being silent about this SINGULAR purpose as this is precisely what the "anti's" want you to do. Rather speak truth as our founders did and still do through some of us. Our founders can live again through us.

If disagreement runs counter to truth, history and fact it has no merit and most often belies an ulterior motive.

Am grateful for your time,

Bb

Well said most of ya!

However "The" point for the second is still being skirted. Yes, self defense is a major but also secondary purpose for this indispensable protection.

Now, our founders were quite clear and concise in their insistence upon the seconds inclusion. THEY didn't mince words but came right out in the open and stated that the seconds PRIMARY purpose was as a final check on government usurpation of God given rights to Life, Liberty and property (pursuit of happiness). We on the other hand seem to be unable to clearly state this SINGULAR purpose. Do you not think that government KNOWS this SINGULAR purpose? Quite obviously they DO or they would not be so myopically focused on taking this final protection away from you.
In my early post on 11/11, that was precisely the point I did not skirt.

I did miss that Miss Jill. And I say BRAVO for you or anyone who chooses to speak to this only reason.

In general though, it is not spoken to and if so rarely and as a mumbled addendum. The checkmate that it is, it deserves bright lights and being the centerpiece that it is.

Bb

Mister Bb / Carriage,

I DON'T chose to speak to that ONLY reason, as I do value the ability to defend myself, my family, and my property from more than just the government. Maybe that's easier to get if you're of the "weaker" sex? I don't know, but I do know I'm not great candidate to be victimized. Guns are a great equalizer.

Jill

(with no "Miss" needed even for polite reasons)

We happen to have a few guns. ...most of which we inherited (ok, I admit I bought a few because I have a penchant for "cute" guns.) Those people down in Seattle probably think I have horns on my head, but the reality is we don't have time to go shooting much, so the guns stay locked up. Most of the time I forget where the firearms are located--the husband keeps them cleaned and locked away with the exception of a couple which are loaded and I know where they are. They are there for self-defense, but the husband and I have arguments about what type of defense, i.e. protection against animal predators or human predators.

When I think about self-defense, I don't so much think about humans, but rather I consider whether wildlife might attack our horsies. It would absolutely break my heart if one of our little ones got creamed by a cougar or a bear. And this is why I get so irked when someone tries to control my ability to protect our little goobers. I took on the responsibility of caring for them.

I'm self-centered; I don't want to figure out second amendment rights; I just want to ensure that Nicky can snortle on me and give me NIcky-loving. The urban people don't understand that; in my opinion.

Oh, by the way, if some human invaded my house I hope they damage me bloodily before I shoot them. (,,,if they don't I would smack my face on the concrete so as not to go to prison.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately, if you shoot someone for self defense who is invading your house or attacking you, no matter how clean the shot...you will be arrested or taken into custody. You will not be able to avoid it. You will more than likely need a lawyer no matter how bloody you are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately, if you shoot someone for self defense who is invading your house or attacking you, no matter how clean the shot...you will be arrested or taken into custody. You will not be able to avoid it. You will more than likely need a lawyer no matter how bloody you are.
The husband and I argue about this quite a bit. And I agree with you (the husband has more protective views on our property; doesn't do me much good if he's in prison.)

I've thought about it a lot. I don't want to harm anyone, but on the other hand I don't want to be harmed.

However, if some whack-job attacked, I guess I'd have to strike a balance between allowing the intruder to make a mess of things and yet still allow enough time to shoot him/her/it in defense. And if him/her/it didn't screw me up enough, I'd go mess my own face into a bloody mess. And even then I still might end up in prison, depending on what the liberals/press did.

Yipeee for the second amendment!!!

I still like to be optimistic and feel that here we have more threat from wild animals. (...which I've checked out the legalities of just what I can and cannot shoot.)

It was one of the first things I learned in CPL class (concealed pistol license here in MI), I don't care what the ramifications are...better alive and in prison then dead and in the ground!

Around here we are currently having a problem with rabid skunks and raccoons. Usually my rifle is hidden in the dressing room, but now that the varmits are carrying rabies it is loaded and behing the bedroom door. Wouldn't be the first time we've had to shoot a rabid coon.

I think that the self defense laws vary from state to state. In my state if someone breaks into your home and you feel that your life is in danger you can protect yourself, but you may be taken in for questioning if you shoot or kill, and it may even go to the Grand Jury to decide weather to prosecute. Better to protect yourself then be killed. We have had background checks here for several years and went through one myself when I purchased my 22 rifle, no problem.

It was one of the first things I learned in CPL class (concealed pistol license here in MI), I don't care what the ramifications are...better alive and in prison then dead and in the ground!
I think I'd rather be dead and in the ground, than in prison. The food probably sucks.

I wish all those gun control advocates would button their lips, because it's getting rather expensive around here.

I guess we're going to "test" out how the I-594 business works, since the husband just ordered a .308 on-line.

sigh...

I dont know why people continue to think that passing more gun laws is going to make crime stop!!! The only affect it has ever had is to cause crime to go up. More needs to be done for people with mental health issues and stricter laws on the criminals and mentally ill that commit the crimes. I have been around guns all my life and have not had one instance where any of my weapons have gone out and committed a crime on their own. Nor do I think that criminals, etc... are going to go purchase a gun legally and do the waiting time, background check, etc... and wait til all is cleared to commit their crimes. It's ridiculous. All these laws do is make it more difficult for a law abiding citizen to obtain a fire arm... but perhaps that is the real reasoning behind it all? I have to wonder.

MANY people, especially pre-adults, have mental disorders with MANY of them not even diagnosed. And those that have been have extreme difficulty getting the help they need. Even at that- who is responsible for the well being of these folks, making sure they take their meds if any, and keeping them, and those around them, safe??!

Laurie you sure got that right! I didn't re read all of this thread so it may have already been discussed but your remarks about mental problems is right on. It IS so hard to get help. You are right all these laws do is make it more difficult for a law abiding citizen to obtain a fire arm.

Latest posts

Back