Was this filly premature???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miniaddiction

Reaction score
Ok, so I have been wondering this for a few months now and after reading Parmelas thread about her preemie colt I thought I'd see what you guys think.

(Parmela, I hope thats ok with you)

This is my filly that I lost last november due to her being in sitting dog position at birth. She was born at 309 days, the mare was maiden.

At the time I didn't think she was, but then she was my first foal so I had nothing to compare her to until I saw Parmelas colt.

My mare is now at 280 days with her second pregnancy and is starting to get a bit of a bag already...I figured she is just one of those shorter gestating mares. But I cant quit thinking over this filly... I know it doesnt change anything, but I'd still like to know.

Anyway sorry for rambling on, here is the filly. She had a very short silky coat and short tail, and long milk toes. The filly was stuck for about 2 hours but died after about 4-5 minutes of being stuck.

331454049.jpg

That is very sad. She was beautiful and I think she looks full term. So sorry for your loss.
default_sad.png
I lost one this past spring to a twisted umbilical cord and she looked very much like this one's stage.

This foal was not premature. Keep a good eye on your mare as you are right she is one that goes earlier than most. I have one like that too, she foals at 316 days and has done so twice so that seems to be her pattern. I am so very sorry for your loss. I pray all goes well for you this year I am also waiting on a birthing here with a mare that lost her foal last year so I know how anxious you must feel. Hugs to you

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Helen! How sad.
default_no.gif
You know I'm no expert but she looks more complete than my little guy I think. In particular, look at her neck and compare it to the pic of my colt.

Again, I'm so sorry. I think you're right about your mare maybe being a early foaler, so do keep an eye on her much earlier than you normally would. It's probably time to get her under camera or whatever method you use.

Also, have you ever tried those test strips from Mother Nature's Miniatures? I don't mean the pool strips, but specifically these strips? I am 100% sold on them after trying them for the last two foals we had this year. When it says your within 12 hours YOUR WITHIN 12 HOURS!!!!

Last edited:
Pamela, Were do you get theese test strips? Also I am soory for both your loss's I been there and it isnt nice! Thanks to both for pictures, this is how we all learn. I dont think this baby is premature I thinks that the mare goes early, and I would be watching her close. Lorie

Oh Helen! How sad.
default_no.gif
You know I'm no expert but she looks more complete than my little guy I think. In particular, look at her neck and compare it to the pic of my colt.Again, I'm so sorry. I think you're right about your mare maybe being a early foaler, so do keep an eye on her much earlier than you normally would. It's probably time to get her under camera or whatever method you use.

Also, have you ever tried those test strips from Nother Nature's Miniatures? I don't mean the pool strips, but specifically these strips? I am 100% sold on them after trying them for the last two foals we had this year. When it says your within 12 hours YOUR WITHIN 12 HOURS!!!!

Pamela, Were do you get theese test strips? Also I am soory for both your loss's I been there and it isnt nice! Thanks to both for pictures, this is how we all learn. I dont think this baby is premature I thinks that the mare goes early, and I would be watching her close. Lorie
Lorie,

Here is a link to the website where I got mine. I had used the pool strips and thought they were ok, but then Monette Freeman told me about these and I tried them. OMG!!
default_new_shocked.gif
Right on the money!!! Mo said that for her 100% of the time when they register in the highest phase she always had a foal in 12 hours! So I tried them on two mares and sure enough!

Mother Nature's Kit

She appears full term or very close. While fine, silky hair can be an indicator, it is not normally as fully haired. Plus, this one shows mane--the tail is about correct for newborn. It would be about hock length at approx 6 mo, etc.

Some mares do not carry as long, as you & others have noted. And they will generally repeat yr after yr. So, do watch her closely from now on.....better a long marestare than a loss.

My primary herd goal has been the tiny ones since I began with minis a long time ago. I can assure you that I have always had shorter gestation with the smaller mares. Some have never gone over 300 days, most are 300-310, and these are full-term foals. Have to watch when I allow breeding or there will be winter foals I do not want to have
default_rolleyes.gif
The taller girls have carried longer for me, overall.

I am sorry for your loss of the foal and wish you and your mare the very best this year.

I'm so sorry for your loss.
default_sad.png

My mare TidBit had a stillborn colt in March at 291-298 days (handbred only so dates are accurate). She started bagging up at about 280 days and showed clear signs of progress. She was under cameras when she foaled, we knew she was going soon. Her colt was stillborn (my vet husband estimated it had died about 12 hours prior to birth, twisted cord or placental separation maybe?). I was too upset at the time to post about it.

Anyway, my colt looked full-term even at those early dates. The only difference is he was really thin. He had a thin silky coat but no thinner than I've seen on 330 + days, tail and mane about the same as yours. I have the feeling mine would have survived at those dates and been fine had he not died before birth. He looked well-made and mature enough to me, as does yours. He even had a little tuft of a forelock
default_sad.png

Best of luck this year!! Keep us posted!

Thank-you everyone for you responses.

Hopefully I can relax a little and just keep watching her now. Bess Kelly this girl is about a hair short of 32'' so I guess she fits into the smaller mare category. I think from her udder so far that she is on track to foal at around 300 days or so..

Parmela, do you need to collect much milk to do the test strips? I haven't used them before, just use a foaling alarm and take a couple weeks of work to monitor her 24/7 but these sound awesome! Only thing is, you take your life in your hands checking this mares bag when she is close so I wouldn't want to have to milk much out of her.

Thanks again, for all your responses and well wishes...hopefully this time it will be uneventful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Helen,

You do need milk, but (if I'm remembering correctly) you only need 3ccs of milk. I know for sure it's a very small amount. My personal experience with milking mares is that if you can't get at least the 3ccs, the mare isn't close enough. Now maybe some mares are unique and have absolutely no milk until after they've foaled, but I think they would be in the minority. And yes, you have to be careful and some won't tolerate it, but if it means saving a foal, I would probably get a helper to hold and/or tie the mare tightly and try to get some milk.

Sending you positive thoughts for a great outcome this time around!
default_yes.gif

Thanks Parmela...hmmm wondering if I can find those here in NZ, I'm not sure that they would arrive in time if I order them from Mother Nature.

Thanks Parmela...hmmm wondering if I can find those here in NZ, I'm not sure that they would arrive in time if I order them from Mother Nature.
You can only get them from Mother Nature's. They have a patent on it. I'd say call Cindy Coffman (the owner/inventor) and ask her to rush you a kit. I bet she would.

You can only get them from Mother Nature's. They have a patent on it. I'd say call Cindy Coffman (the owner/inventor) and ask her to rush you a kit. I bet she would.
Will do, thanks so much Parmela!!!

Latest posts

Back