Warning

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beaminewbie

Reaction score
Well I learned a very hard lesson, we leased one of our horses (big) to a friend of ours for their daughter to ride. I know these people and have seen their other horses so I was not concerned. My husband and I went to see our horse and we were shocked! He is a quarter horse and a very stocky old style body well he was skin and bones. I went in the pen and felt him because he is wooly, well I could count every rib. I told my husband he was coming home, so we went to our friends house and told her that we were picking him up to get him ready for the trainers. My husband is mad because I didn't say anything, but they are friends and what do you say? I feel it is also my fault because we did not go and check on him in the last 5 months. So if you are leasing please even if it is a friend check on your horse!!! I will never forgive myself for doing this to our horse!! :no:

didn't say anything, but they are friends and what do you say?

I could think of plenty I'd be saying to them.

I"m glad you got your horses back, but I think you did the wrong thing.

I think you should have called them on it right then and there and asked them what was their reason for starving your horse and reemed them a good one. There is NO excuse, none at all for this. I'm not a violent person but if this happend to a horse of mine, the police would have arrested me for what I probably would have done to them. Sorry, I couldn't let them get off that easily. They are no friends of yours. They are horrible for doing this to your horse or anyone's horse. Starving a horse to death like this is considered slow murder. You should let them have it real good before they do it to someone else's horse.

I sold 2 horses to a man I thought was responsible.

I found out on the grape vine that they were in a bad way, they were in such a bad way I went round, stuck my neck out and stole them!! Called the vet straight away who was boiling mad. AS were the SSPCA.

Long story, but I got them signed back over to me and we nursed them back to health.

I heard back on the grapevine that he was going to sue me if he heard me say they were in anything other than perfect health....I sent the message back to "bring it on"....havn't heard anything else from him!
default_wink.png
:
default_wink.png
:

Please please PLEASE don't let this so unspoken because they were "friends". What kind of friend starves thier "friends" horse? These people are NOT your friends, they used you and they ABUSED your horse! Now that you have taken away their daughters ride, they'll be on the lookout for another "friend" to lend them a horse to use and abuse.

TRUST me, I have BEEN THERE, DONE THAT! I took it upon myself to send my vet out to the place my horses was, to check their horses. I also called the people who sold them their horses (they are good friends of mine, so I felt obligated to speak up) to let them know that horses of their breeding were possibly in danger of being abused. I spread the word like WILDFIRE to every corner of our county and beyond to MAKE darn SURE nobody would ever place another horse in their care again. My biggest regret (other than sending him there in the first place!) was that I could not get their own horses taken from them.

Look up my message history and you'll see I'm STILL putting weight back on him after our ordeal, or rather, our new lessee is, under very strict control by me! Its NOT too late to call these people on what they did. There is NO excuse for animal neglect and abuse!

WEll, I'll be odd man out and say I would have done the very same thing..THEN..after getting him home perhaps a call saying "Gosh, has he been ok for you? When I was brushing him he's awful thin." First give the benefit of the doubt. Maybe there is health or money troubles and they were too embarrassed to tell? The most important thing is he is home. If she had gone to the door in a huff perhaps they wouldn't have been so willing to say ok pick him up.

They do have a couple of their own horses but their daughters is 22 yrs old and has alot of problems with heaves. That is why I let her use our gelding. Their other two horses look ok the old mare is ribby but she has always been even when she was owned by the previous owner. When I picked him up the mom came with me and I really don't think she realized what was going on. The look on her face said alot to me. Her daughter is 17 so definately old enough that she shouldn't have to be babysat when feeding. She got a new boyfriend and lost interest in the horses. I just hope that we don't have any problems with colic or founder now!!

Ahhhhh......the old "17-year-old-discovers-boys-and-is-allowed-to-run-unchecked" syndrome!

Now, if I was that girl's mother, EVERY one of her horses would be sold. No ands, ifs, or buts about it. If she can't spend the time....it's a crime.

And if you doubt I would have done that to my daughter, just ask her. She's 31 now, a great mom. And she once told me when she was in college, "You were a HARD mom! Thank you." Sweetest thing she ever said to me.

People need to be educated in cases like this. It can be done in a friendly manner.

I understand much better now. When teenage hormones get involved the whole world begins to rotate backwards and nothing else matters, boy I totally can understand that one. Thanks for explaining that. That does changes things a bit, but still I would have hoped that since it was the mother that leased the horse from you, she would have atleast supervised.

When I picked him up the mom came with me and I really don't think she realized what was going on. The look on her face said alot to me.

This is when you bring out the hot cup of tea and have a good cry and then begin to devise a plan of how to help your horse get restored back to health. That's the best thing you can do. It's too bad that the horse is the one that had to suffer due to the teenagers hormones. I hope the teenager daughter realized what this has cost the horse and a lesson well learned for many.

Latest posts

Back