Warning on getting your mini teeth floated

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

appymini

Reaction score
Northern Ontario Country( where it is winter 11mon
I lost a mare this week over getting her teeth floated. I had a Professional Equine Dentist over .Accually he came here looking for someone else.And him and his whife where from Texas and in the area doing some clinics and horses teeth.So I showed him my Angel Who had a 10 week old foal and was alittle under weight.So he drugged her and did the floating. My husband and I saw abite of blood and he said that is normal.By morning she was colicy.We got a hold of him.And he said can`t be what he did. Has to be something else. By the eveing she still had not drank or ate. Called the vet.Vet felt she was reacting to the Rompin, he gave.She was still out of it.2nd day her breath was just allfull.Still note ate and I was giving her water by a shring.3 rd day her breath was worse and her chin was pussy and red.Also was put on IV. 4th day no change,Still on IV. 5th day she was to week and sick.She was laid to rest.Uptopsy on her mouth showed her throught was swollen and almust closed by puss.I had always had my vet do the floating but thought I try this so called "" Prof "".Vet figures he may have not cleaned his tools.Sorry for the long speech. I am still sad about this,on what went wrong
sad.gif
If anyone want the name of the guy.Email me. He is traveling around. Oh yea I saw him drive by this afternoon and he never came to see us.Heartless

What an awful experience. Your poor mare. I am so very sorry for such a horrific loss.

I hope you can get some sort of documentation from your vet on all of that....not that it's going to bring your little mare back.....

MA

Oh how horrible! I'm so sorry! I'd like his name, if you wouldn't mind PM'ing or emailing me.

I've had a bad experience with an equine "dentist" too (tho not nearly to the extent of yours) and good experiences as well.

what a sad loss....
sad.gif

I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for the warning. I just had my mares teeth done yesterday by our vet, he stayed until they were awake, then called to check on them. I had debated calling a professional dentist.

Again, I am sorry for your loss, and hope her baby is doing OK.

I am so sorry for this horrible incident. Thanks for the advice. I am so sorry for your loss.

I am so sorry for your loss. I pray the foal will be ok.

Our equine dentist will not tranq. It is required that our vet come with him and stay while he is here.

Oh no,, I am so sorry for your loss.
no.gif

Now I am scared to have my mare's teeth done. I know Liz said the one I am going to have come is good??? Am worried at this point,, I do not want to take a chance loosing any of my animals.
unsure.gif

sad.gif
I'm SO sorry my dear for your senseless loss! I would certainly work towards geting restitution!

Perhaps your vet will issue you the diagnosis and you can sue him..

I dont usually suggest that as don't believe in it but in this case he should have admitted it and tried to console you at very least!

Thanks all for the thoughts,the foal is fine.The neigbore was kind enough to sit her for me while I was busy with the mare. But brought her home last night. She is turning into a white Appy like her mom.So that is nice.Is she okey at 10 weeks with out milk replacer?.Or does anyone have ideas on specialty food for her.

I am so sorry for the lose of your mare...I hope your foal will be ok though
yes.gif
sad.gif
...if you could please PM the name of the Dentist I would really appreciate it. Once again, very sorry for your lose.

Jessica

I'm so sorry for your loss. An equine dentist who is not a vet should not be tranquilizing horses. There are some good dentists out there too, always a good idea to get references if you are in doubt.

Talk to your vet about the foal - at 10 weeks he may still benefit from milk replacer. Hope he does okay for you.

I would like to know who this is too, if you would pm me as well.

Jan

So sorry to hear of your loss. Do you know if this person was licensed to give a drug to horses? Our dentist won"ttranqulize and he is so good that he doesn;'t need to. I would sure check out if he was qualified to give any drug at all because usually only vets can do that legally, but your state may be different. I hate it when a horse is lost over something done negligently for we love these guys too much. Mary
no.gif

appymini said:
I lost a mare this week over getting her teeth floated. I had a Professional Equine Dentist over .Accually he came here looking for someone else.And him and his whife where from Texas and in the area doing some clinics and horses teeth.So I showed him my Angel Who had a 10 week old foal and was alittle under weight.So he drugged her and did the floating. My husband and I saw abite of blood and he said that is normal.By morning she was colicy.We got a hold of him.And he said can`t be what he did. Has to be something else. By the eveing she still had not drank or ate. Called the vet.Vet felt she was reacting to the Rompin, he gave.She was still out of it.2nd day her breath was just allfull.Still note ate and I was giving her water by a shring.3 rd day her breath was worse and her chin was pussy and red.Also was put on IV. 4th day no change,Still on IV. 5th day she was to week and sick.She was laid to rest.Uptopsy on her mouth showed her throught was swollen and almust closed by puss.I had always had my vet do the floating but thought I try this so called "" Prof "".Vet figures he may have not cleaned his tools.Sorry for the long speech. I am still sad about this,on what went wrong
sad.gif
If anyone want the name of the guy.Email me. He is traveling around.                      Oh yea I saw him drive by this afternoon and he never came to see us.Heartless
431704[/snapback]

Last edited by a moderator:
At 10 weeks she should be okay eating both Foal Lac liquid out of a dish AND Foal Lac pellets out of dish. I'd give her a choice and see which she prefers.

You might also give her a little bit of the grain that mom ate mixed in with the Foal Lac pellets..... Our orphan wanted the liquid at the very beginning and then (since we always gave him a choice) he eventually weaned himself off the liquid.

Either way, IMO, I don't think she's quite ready to go on pure grain....however, I would offer some hay on the side.....I'm sure she's been sampling mom's hay for some time now.

Good luck with her.

MA

I am so sorry for your loss
no.gif
I hope you are going to let that guy know that he killed your mare!! Are you going to sew or anything? He should be stopped before anyone elses horses gets killed! PLEASE PM me the name!!

THANKS!!

Once again, I am sorry!

-Gage-

I just asumed he was licenced As he belongs to the International butt. of Equine Dentistry.He claims he does alote of minis and has the tools for them. As my regular vet does not. So I thought I try him.He gave her 3 cc of Rompin ,2 times.I thought that was alote.He was doing 2 clinics in the area. I had heard another horse was sick but nothing like mine. I also heard that he did a horse with an absess before mine. I saw his truck 2 times pass by as his wifes father lives down the street here. And he new the horse was not well the next day.As I talked to him. But it was to much trouble to visit.
no.gif

Latest posts

Back