Warning on getting your mini teeth floated

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so sorry for your loss, That is terrible, I would definately report him.

I hope your foal pulls through ok, Such a senseless loss, Please PM me his name also, I definately don't want to use him!

So sorry about the loss of your mare. Please PM me with the name of the dentist. Thank You.

Well I am going to talk to the vets that helped me with the mare. About the Drug issue and and about her health. I do know they have his name and imfo on the their report paper. So possible they may report or we both can go about it. I will let you know what they say. Also I hope I PM`d everyone that asked.If not Please try again. I went to the website of the Internatinal butt.Equine Dentistry. But there is no contact imfo as I see on it.Thanks again for the kind words and all the help.

I'm sorry you had such a horrible experience, and sorry for your loss.

I must say, however, that I have never seen a miniature horse that needed sedation to have it's teeth done if the dentist ..... and the owner .... know how to handle a horse.

I have worked with 2 different well-known equine dentists that specialize in miniature horse dentistry. Even the rankest, rammiest, most rambunctious horse didn't need any sedation and in fact, if handled correctly, will stand quietly. My 24 year old stallion hadn't had his teeth worked on at all during the first 16 years of his life and being an old prairie boy, can be a handful when he feels pinned in. He stood quietly and almost went to sleep during the process and he needed a lot of work the first time!!!!!

You unfortunately ended up with a dentist who doesn't know the first thing about how a horse should be constrained while having their teeth worked on.

Which brings up a point ... if anyone is considering working with a dentist for their miniatures, one of the questions they should ask BEFORE letting them work on their horses is whether or not they use sedation when working on them. If they say "yes" ....... find a different dentist.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so sorry for your loss. I had an orphan foal one time, and he did very well on foal lac pellets. I also gave the same grain that the mare was getting and tender hay.

Please PM me the name of this person who calls himself an equine dentist.

Pam

Jean_B said:
I must say, however, that I have never seen a miniature horse that needed sedation to have it's teeth done if the dentist ..... and the owner .... know how to handle a horse.
432788[/snapback]

Jean, I have to disagree. There are horses who simply are better off being sedated for dental work, and I don't believe owners should feel guilty because they choose to sedate.

My first horse believed dental work would kill him. It required enough rompin to drop a large pony to get him manageable, and even then 2 people to restrain him so the vet could work.

The choice to sedate was NOT one for our convience or because we weren't able to handle a rank horse. His reactions were well beyond rank. He was in fear of his life and acted accordingly. Despite patient efforts (he was boarded at a barn that specalized in abuse/injury rehab horses) he never got past that terror. It was simply kinder to him and safer for everyone to sedate him.

This horse was otherwise a favorite of vets and farriers. Trimming, clipping, vetting, shots, grooming, even packing and soaking his massivly absessed and painful hoof were all one-person jobs. But dental work? May as well have held a gun to his head.

Our dentist comes from TX but he uses no drugs and we have NEVER had any problems at all. I am SO SORRY that this experience turned out so horribly.

Laurie

I feel very, very strongly about this, and I do my best to keep my opinion to myself when this issue comes up.

I will only allow my vet to work on my horses. I will only allow my vet to sedate my horses. I don't care what a person may call themselves. They're not my vet.

I am so, so sorry for what you have gone through, and thank you for the warning to others.

I have watched this thread now for a couple of days and the more I think about it the more outraged I become.

I do not know the technical reason why your mare died but I do know that she was fine until she was in the hands of this madman.

I am not a vengeful person but this man has killed your mare and you have to take action. Just look at the horrible mess he has made and he needs to be the one to clean it up.

I realize that I am a doormat and that I am a pushover too. But I fear that if this wrong were done to me, it would be payback time. I would go to the end of the earth to get justice for my horse. I have found out the hardway that unless I stand up and fight for myself that no one else is going to do it for me. Please take action against this man so that he cannot hurt anyone else's horses and that your beautiful lovely little mare did not die in vain. Avenge her death in her name and the name of all the other's out there that he is working on yet today.

This also worries me a lot because my farrier is a certified dental tech and floats teeth. He does use tranquilizers. I have told him in the past of my concern of him doing this without a license but he doesn't see the problem. He also doesn't do my horse's teeth either.

As far as tranquilizing, some of my quarter horses were fine just using a twitch and a couple were always sedated for dental work. It would depend on the work involved and on the horse. My QH Sonny most definately gets some ACE while getting his teeth done or he would be putting a very bad hurtful on somebody without being sedated. It's not that I am unable to handle my horse or a rank horse because I certainly can and I am used to it. But by tranquilizing helps the vet to get in there and get the job done much more thoroughly and quickly when the horse is not fighting you. That said, I have never needed any of the minis sedated at all.

Please accept my deepest condolences during your time of grief and dispair. I pray that your precious foal thrives and grows and wish you all the best.

This also worries me a lot because my farrier is a certified dental tech and floats teeth. He does use tranquilizers.
Not to get off topic here, but this is my big issue. My vet sedates my horses when she floats, but she is a licensed vet with malpractice insurance. God forbid, if something did happen, I would be covered by making a claim with her insurance company.

If someone (farrier, dental tech, etc.) is practicing medicine without a license (i.e. sedating), they do not have the insurance coverage to protect you.

I too am so sorry and outraged that you lost your mare this way. It should never have happened. {{{Hugs}}} to you and the foal. I hate to ask while you are grieving and after so many people have asked, but could please also tell me who this "dentist" is?

Take care hon.

I am so sorry that you and your little one have gone through this horrible trajedy.
sad.gif
If you would not mind could you please PM me the name of this person, as I would too like to know to keep my and my friend's horses out of the hands of this person....before he does any more damage....seeing on how he travels...you just never know where he may turn up next. Thank you for the warning....I know it has had to hurt so bad. I hope your little baby fares well.

I am so sorry to hear about this. I hope and pray that your little foal is going to be just fine. I always have my vet float my horses teeth, but there is a "Equine Dentist" that does come into our area and I do know of people that have used him...all for full size horses, no minis. I would be the first one for minis in our area to use him, but after reading this, I would be afraid to do it. Could you pm me the name of this dentist? Thank you so much for the warning about this most uncaring "dentist". (((hugs)))to you. Corinne

Latest posts

Back