Warning on getting your mini teeth floated

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Appymini,

I know you are hurting.....and it's important that you have the records of this person's work, records, what he did, and your vet's findings....... for filing a complaint.

Now you have your little dead mare's foal to focus and care on. She is your important one. Please let us know how she's doing when you get a chance.

Blessings,

MA

This is very sad! I am so sorry to hear about this. Yes, here in Texas unless the equine dentist is a vet he cannot give meds. Probably everywhere else too.

B

new_shocked.gif
how horrible! I'm so so sorry!
no.gif
how could he get away with that!?
no.gif
pm me his name, i'll warn my friends
no.gif

well, something needs to be done so other people's horses dont get killed! If nobody turns him in then he will keep getting away with it!! JMO but I wouldnt just let him get away for KILLING my mare with a 10 week old foal!!

-Gage-

How awful! I am soo sorry for you and you mare and foal. Please private message or email the name so I can know and warn my friends.

[email protected]

This is just awful! He should know what happened and what the optopsy showed!
no.gif

Sheri

I am also sorry to hear about your mare. It is bad enough to lose one for other reasons but when someone whom we think we can trust does something wrong then it is even worse.............. I guess that is one reason the law that has been discussed on here several times needs to be put in place (requiring equine dentists to be vets or something like that)............. Best wishes to your foal.

First off I would look into this pretty quick, hope you have this guy's name at least so he can be reported with his Association in the U.S. No way is an equine dentist certified to give tranquilizer in Canada. A vet must administer the sedation and must remain until the horse comes out of the tranq. THAT IS THE LAW!!! I don't care if he is from timbuck two, coming into Canada and doing "work" here he MUST comply with our laws. I am surprised your vet didn't mention this. Now if he had YOU administer the tranq then there is nothing that can be done. But it doesn't seem to be the reason why the mare died, the tranq that is. What procedure did he do on your mare to have an infection set in? Did he do any extractions? or did he cut her at one point and the infection set in? Either way I would report him to his Association in the U.S. and the one here as well to make sure he never practices here in Canada at least again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so sorry about the loss of your mare. I hope the foal wil be OK.

Please email or PM me the name of the dentist, because i live here in Texas and i would not want him to do my horses.

First off, what Danielle said is true--equine dentists in Canada are NOT allowed to administer sedatives/tranquilizers. It is totally against the law & if one did it here & any one of the vets learned of it, the guy would be reported PDQ!

Secondly, I question if this guy was legally supposed to be doing what he did. If he was here to give a clinic, that does not give him the right to practice his trade in this country. If I were you I would report him to Immigration--I'm betting once they learned of what he was doing he'd get his sorry a-- booted back across the border faster than you could yell "Lawsuit". And believe me, he wouldn't be coming back any time soon.

Thirdly, to answer the question about what procedure was done to cause this infection; appymini did mention there was a bit of blood in the mare's mouth when he was done. Regardless of what the procedure was, if it draws blood, the horse is subject to getting infection. Look at ourselves--simply getting your teeth cleaned can cause a deadly infection.

I'm so very sorry for your loss.

I am so sorry for your loss. If you would please pm me this "dentists" name.

Thank You,

Robin

I am also so sorry for your loss.

If you would please pm me this "dentists" name, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

I am so sorry for all that has happened. Please do not let your grieving for the mare get in the way of procuring justice- think how you would feel if you heard it had happened again and you had not tried to stop it!! There is no way he would have been allowed to do this legally, I have heard of Dentists giving ACE or other legal tranqs, (Mine will not) but NOT injected drugs- that is a Vets work. This is the sort of thing that gives reputable Dentists nightmares, and you need to do something to help these wonderful people defend themselves. Contact the Association- it will have a website I am sure, do it NOW and put the wheels in motion, it may well be that they will take care of everything for you, right down to compensation, so it will be worth your while.

As to the poor little orphan- ten weeks is not old enough to go without the comfort of milk- my ten weekers are coming in on their own and eating a good hard feed every day, but if they were orphaned I would still have to supplement for a few weeks. I do not suggest you use a bottle, a bucket or a bowl are best at this age. Get him onto a good starter feed, ad lib, as well. He also needs company desperately, do you have someone to go, at least, in the stall next door?? ASAP he needs to go back out with other horses- be wary of the broodmares until he has stopped trying to nurse, if he tries to nurses off the wrong mare he will get hurt!! The very best of luck to you, keep us posted, please.

So sorry for you loss. I had an equine dentist work on mine, but when we were finished he gave me several phone #'s to contact him by in case of emergency. Please pm me the name of the person (won't call him a dentist) that destroyed your little girl.

Thank you

Angie

I'm shocked at this. My heart breaks for you. Please PM the details and I will do what I can here in NY to be sure the word gets out.

Yes Please send me the name of this person.

I am also so very sorry to hear about your mare. That is a shame.

Joyce

First I have only ever had a equine dentist out once. He never drug any of the horses. HOwever I wasnt happy with the work he did. He told me one mare had no teeth problems which I could tell you just by looking at her face she did. And still does to this day. However I dont have anybody around here that can do teeth.

This is terrible. Another example of trying to do right and having something go terribly wrong. I just had my guys' teeth done. My first time to do that. I noticed he had his floats in a bucket of some solution, so maybe it was an antibacterial. I will certainly be on the watch during future procedures.

Marsha

I am sorry. That is a reason why i dont have a dentist do my horses they arent licensed to give meds and dont have the knowledge or usually other meds to use of smething goes wrong or in the case of a reaction.

I am so sorry for your loss

Back