Wanting to get an idea on what

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniforFaith

Reaction score
I was just wondering, if anyone wouldn't mind sharing what you pay to have the vet come out, give Rabies,EEE,WEE, Tetanus and West Nile to do three mini's and have their teeth checked? I do not have a trailer, so we have always just done the farm call. I am in shock of what my bill was. It has doubled since the last time..
default_gaah.gif
After some replies, and if I seen that it is the "normal" for the time were are in then I will share, too. But I don't want to get flamed for being in shock, as I know they need it, but I swear it has doubled :arg!

Last edited by a moderator:
I paid $85/per horse last time I had the vet come out and that didnt include having teeth check. I give my own vaccines now
default_smile.png

Vet call (mileage) $35 (we are 12 miles from town)

Rabies vacc: $10

EWT/WNV combo shot $36.19

So, $81.19 for one horse, add an additional $46.19 for each additional horse for vaccines alone.

Professional fee (that is, giving the shot) $10 or $20, depending which vet (I think that's what it is, I haven't had the vet out to do vaccines in awhile but that's what I'm told by others that have)--and to do 3 or more horses would be cheaper per horse than just having 1 done)

Not sure about "checking" teeth--I usually do the "checking" myself & then if work is needed I get that done. Actual dental work can easily run $200 per horse around here. I once had the vet out for several things, including removing a tooth that one mare needed to come out. Tooth was there when I made the appointment; caught the mare for the vet, she looked in the mouth & the tooth was gone! She charged me $5 to look in the mouth and say "it's not there". Vet I use now has looked in the horse's mouth & confirmed there was nothing major going on & no work to be done, and she didn't charge me anything for that.

Then we pay 5% GST on top everything, and 7% PST on some things--it seems we're paying the 7% provincial tax on more and more of the horse related veterinary expenses. At one time only the GST applied to most things, vaccines included.

$40.00 call charge

$10.25 rabies

$25.50 WNV

$20.80 4 way

my vet will check teeth for no charge so for 3 horses the total w/my vet would have been

$209.65

Rabbies 25.00 per horse

EEE, WEE, Tetanus 28. per horse

WN 34. per horse

Farm call 48.00

Profess service 15.(for giving the shots, I guess)

Checking of teeth( no work done, just looked at them) 35.00

Total: 359.00
default_new_let_it_all_out.gif

Now I am waiting on my emergency call bill for my mare's severe reaction
default_no.gif

I just went through the same thing vacs $304.00!!!!!!! for 4 horses and the horses HATE him! LOL!!

his price to went up from fall shots. I think I am going to try
default_unsure.png
to give my fall shots myself. I have done other animals shots so I think I can

Rabies, 3-way, Potomac, and W.Nile for 7 horses and one Coggins with Farm call charge totalled $533.00. Up from last year, but I figured it would
default_sad.png
Sounds like some others have a bigger bill, so I shouldn't complain.

I do my own shots but when I'm short on something, I will have the vet give it to one or two of the horses when he's out here for other things. I think it's the cost of the shot (comparable to what I pay) plus $20 for the injection. As I said, the vet expects me to do the shots and I think that is reflective of that preference
default_biggrin.png

Back