Wanting to breed my mare. Also, would like to talk to someone who knows they're color genetics (:

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all! My first topic, so exciting :D

So here it is, this year or next I'm wanting to breed my miniature mare, Splash's Dots and Dashes, who is a 35.25" tall sorrel & white tobiano mare. She's a little more on the stock side, so would like to breed with something that is pretty well refined/arab like to get that perfectly balanced baby
default_thumbup.gif
. I'm in no big hurry, I'll breed her when it's a good time and when I find a stallion I like, I would just like to breed her this year or next.

I would also like to talk to someone who knows they're color genetics WELL and will help me get what I want in a baby :) I want a different colored foal, meaning not bay or chestnut/sorrel, and would like at least one blue eye.

Thank you all so much in advance for reading/replying! I really need some help from experienced breeders, this will be my first foal! Super excited and can't wait till the time comes!
default_new_multi.gif

Lunging (LOVE her trot!)

2012-03-19_13-36-44_752.jpg

Lunging some more

2012-03-19_13-36-54_229.jpg

Messing around with a different type of halter, even though she gets set up like a stock horse.

2012-03-19_13-43-37_152-1.jpg

All braided up and pretty!

2012-03-19_14-18-38_376.jpg

Such a gorgeous girl (;

2012-03-03_13-23-28_529.jpg

Playing around with jumping!

2012-03-03_13-47-43_644.jpg

She's very curious!

390087_10151009261325206_889975205_21791987_1603940973_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty mare!

If you don't want a red based foal, breed to a stallion who is homozygous for black. However, you could still get bay if your mare carries agouti. You can test her for that. To get blue eyes, breed to a stallion who is LWO or Splashed White with blue eyes. No guarantee you'll get blue eyes, but it will increase your chances. With your mare having a large amount of face white, she may well carry a blue eyed gene.

Well, she is more than Tobiano as she has face white- I suspect Sabino.

If you want a different base colour you best choice would be for a horse that is homozygous (H/Z) for Black, that way you will get a black based foal of some kind (Bay/Buckskin/ Black/Bay Dun etc)

The only way to be sure you will not get Bay is to test the mare for agouti. If she does not have agouti (which is what makes a Black into a Bay) then, if you choose a H/Z Black, non agouti stallion you will be able to guarantee you will not get a bay base foal. Pattern is impossible to dictate - you can breed two wild patterned animals together and still get a minimally marked foal, you can breed two very minimally marked animals together and still get a wildly marked maximum expression, foal, so I am afraid that is the luck of the draw!

Since the most important factor in any breeding is the conformation of the foal I would find a stallion you really like, hopefully with a few of the basics (black H/Z etc) that you want, and go for it!

Breed her to a cremello or perlino (or smokey cream) and then you will be assured of getting buckskin or palomino--for sure no bay or chestnut!

If you are on Facebook, there is a new group on there (started by someone on here I think) on Equine Color and Pattern Genetics. I don't think I am allowed to post a link but you should be able to find it. LOTS of info, along with photos.

There is a coat color calculator on the Animal Genetics website - no help on eye color though! I have 3 blue eyed mares and only one carries splash (thought to cause blue eyes); one is frame (LWO+), and the other is neither.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but if you are that interested in certain colors and eye colors, I would suggest you just BUY what you want. MUCH cheaper, easier, and less heart-breaking in the long run.

Last edited by a moderator:
And of course, since you can breed to a homozygous black, or even a homozygous black pinto, but there are never any gaurantees to how much color will be expressed or if the blue eyes will show up...........drum roll please........the only fool proof way to get the color, pattern and eye color wanted?...... Buy one already on the ground, or...as the saying goes, to get that dream foal you always wanted, sell the mare in foal.

Latest posts

Back