Wanted, honest opinions on my

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankie

Reaction score
It has been brought to my attention through 6 emails that the reason I have such a problem with threads on folks asking for opinions, is because I am so afraid to put my horses up and ask for opinions.

I would like to say that because my show horse is being shown, as was my stallion and both have been in a large number of shows, (Sophie, AMHR, under 21 judges this year: Tango, AMHA, under 14 judges) I was getting opinions of judges and wasn't sure I needed more.

But, what the heck, you can always learn something! Right? And if I can learn one more thing to help them along the way, I am willing.

I don't talk of either horse much, I think because they speak for themselves. But maybe if I had talked of them more I would not have received emails from people asking me, just what kind of junk are you showing? It's ok, don't mind, doesn't bother me. I am very comfortable with both of these horses and I believe that is what matters most, as I am the one paying their way. Plus, I love them both to death!!!!

I am not being a smart butt in any way here, honestly. I am fine with what others think, the same as I pay a judge for their opinion, even though you aren't getting paid, sorry, I am asking for your opinion. Who knows, someone may say something that will be that one little thing they are missing.

Sophie: She is a 35" three year old mare.

Dsc05206.jpg

Dsc05211.jpg

Tango: He is a 27" two year old

Tango.jpg

tango11.jpg

thanks for your time!

Carolyn,

I'm sorry you've been treated this way. I've given my opinion on other horses but have never asked for one on my own. Mainly, like you, I think they speak for themselves and they're on the show circuit so I'm getting plenty of opinions from the judges and fellow exhibitors. Some I like, some I don't. But that's opinions for ya!

Sophie:Nicely balanced mare. Good angles to the hip and shoulder. Nice short back with a nice underline (so many minis look like daschunds with their long backs and underlines!). Shows very well.

Tango: Nice color. Very steep shoulder angle compared to the hip. A little croup high(but could be to age and growth spurts) Nice neck.

[SIZE=14pt]I so agree with Mary Lou! I think those 6 personal e mails were VERY uncalled for and mean spirited. We agree on this forum to disagree at times and, having been the recipient of personal attacks like Carolyns, I know how angry and hurt I was to receive them.[/SIZE]

Now, as to these horses.... Carolyn you already know how I feel About Sophie, I love her. She has a beautiful sillouette, her neck is beautiful in length and set on well. She is short backed clean underline, Great shoulder angle,nice long hip , will be a great driving horse! good croup and tail set. Looks like perfect legs to me. The first pic shows her neck much nicer than the one with her awards. She has huge kind eyes. She is very deserving of her Grand champion wins and her Superemes.

Tango is a cute guy, he is butt high but that could be his age and growing some more. For a little guy his back and bottomline are clean and short coupled something that you dont usually see in tiny horses they are usually much longer than they are tall. He has a beautiful head, nice large eye. Shoulder is a bit steep legs are very nice tail set is fairly good as well.

Of the two I like Sophie better but thats because I like them taller.

Take heart Carolyn, you dont deserve the ugly e mails!

Lyn

Good grief (or in other words ____ ____!). That's pretty ridiculous to have so many emails saying you're afraid to hold your horses out for critique. Kind of uninsightful of the emailers, too, since you actually pay to have your horses critiqued (as that's what show fees really are for!!!), as you well know.

I think both of your horses are very nice. I especially like Sophie. She's so proportional and refined. I like Tango, too. He looks tremendously better to me than 99% of the tee-tiny horses that I have seen. If you didn't tell me he was under 28", I would not have guessed that to be the case.

Chalk the emails up to jealousy, or people just hoping to get a rise from you. Don't give them any more thought that they deserve.

Hmmmmmmm, maybe I should not have mentioned the emails. Don't want them to be the focus here. I did mention them because they were the first reason for me to post this asking for opinions. Wasn't sure if someone would wonder, well why in the world is she asking for opinions all of a sudden, and on horses she already shows. So the email reference was an explanation to that.

The emails do not bother me, , , their emails, , , their problem.

As for the horses, if you can say that Tango went through a growth spurt,
biggrin.gif
at 27", I believe that to be the case. In the past 3 months he has started to balance out very nicely, but I guess we will see in time. I am not a big fan of his tail set either, but have got to say since he has balanced out some and is not quite as butt high, the tail set looks some better. It all flows somewhat better.

Thanks for the kind words, they are not perfect, appreciate the comments on how to improve them, hoping to get them even better before Nationals!

FROM WHAT I CAN SEE I LIKE SOPHIE BETTER THAN TANGO, SHE LOOKS MORE BALANCED. PLUS I AM NOT CRAZY ABOUT THE 28" AND UNDER STOCK, THEY VERY SELDOM WIN ANYTHING BUT THEIR CLASS, WHEN THEY GO UP AGAINST THE TALLER STOCK, THE JUDGES USUALLY PICK THE TALLER ONES FOR BEST IN SHOW ETC.

Bob, very very true. If you look at the rules, same quality is to go to the smaller horse. BUT, I can say I have never seen that happen. I even had a judge tell me once Tango got second because the other horse had more legs! I asked for his opinion though! Well yeah, the other horse was 6 inches taller! This was in amateur, no height division there and BOY were we at a disadvantage each time we walked out. BUT on a consistant basis he was also placing above much taller horses.

I do understand the placing going to the taller horse. Over all, they do look more elegant, classy, not sure of the correct word.

Wanted to add why I chose Tango. For one, I love his background. For another, my first 2 foals born here, had huge problems as the stud was taller. We lost one mare because we could not get the baby out. Anyway, I had ever intent to go small with a stallion, Tango was by far the best that I found, under 28, and looked for over a year. His purpose was to give me piece of mind. Surely my 34 inch girls can handle a baby by a 27" stud. I know, many people use taller studs, but for me this was the correct choice. Right now I believe him to be stallion material, BUT, he has no babies on the ground yet, so we will see.

I am the only one who sees Sophie just a tad long in the back? Not that I can change it, but asking.

I'M NOT SURE THAT THE TALLER STUDS WERE YOUR PROBLEM, IT COULD HAVE BEEN THAT THEY WERE NOT REAL REFINED . WE BREED TALLER STUDS SHORTER MARES WITH NO PROBLEM BUT OUR STUDS ARE PRETTY REFINED SO I THINK THAT MAKES A REAL DIFFERENCE. (NOT THE SAME) BUT A FRIEND ONCE TOLD ME WHEN I WAS LOOKING FOR A NEW SEMITALL BULL TO GET ONE THAT HAD NARROW SHOULDERS AND I WOULDN'T HAVE ANY PROBLEMS WITH HIS CALVES BEING BORN, AND SURE ENOUGH, WE NEVER HAD TO PULL ONE FROM THAT BULL WHEN I'VE HEARD A LOT OF SEMITALL'S HAVE CALVING PROBLEMS.

I DON'T THINK YOUR MARE HAS TOO LONG A BACK, SHE LOOKS VERY NICE TO ME.!

[SIZE=14pt]Carolyn, I think that your little guy is stallion material too.[/SIZE]

Lyn

First off-- it's nobody's BUSINESS whether you put your horses up for critique or not, sheesh!! I don't put mine up for critique on a forum, I prefer to get opinions on my horses from JUDGES, not just anybody who feels like saying something about them.
rolleyes.gif

And your horses are BEAUTIFUL, Carolyn. I would have bought Sophie when you had her for sale, I LOVE her, if I had been able to at the time.
wub.gif

Your colt is wonderful, it's hard to believe he is so tiny.

My honest opinion is that the judges that these horses have shown under have the right idea-- these horses are NICE. VERY nice.
wub.gif

Latest posts

Back