Want to take a guess? Is she pregnant?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is she bred?

• Total voters
Probably , but you never know. It's not just about the udders though. When the foal starts to move into position, your mare will look narrower from behind. Looseness around the base of the tail, her lady parts getting swollen and relaxed, looking hollow in front of her hips, passing the mucous plug, changes in attitude, and a few other things. You kind of have to look at it all to get a good idea when it's time.

Are you able to express fluid? The pH test is the most consistent indicator I've found - and it's been rock solid. When the fluid from the udder goes from clear to milky white/yellow and the pH drops, delivery is expected 12-24 hours. You start checking regularly. The only time I've actually caught foaling from start to finish was by paying attention to this. I'd had the indicators on a previous one, but my dad had just passed away so I didn't really connect the dots and stay to help the mare. She did great though.

I don't. I'm part of the group that thinks it's better to leave the udder alone, although I know a lot of people do it with no problems. Knowing she is ready to go isn't going to be the problem for me, it's more likely to be catching it. Seasoned broodmares are great at waiting until you go in to use the bathroom and get a drink. It's hard to watch for 12-24 hours straight.

Are you able to express fluid? The pH test is the most consistent indicator I've found - and it's been rock solid. When the fluid from the udder goes from clear to milky white/yellow and the pH drops, delivery is expected 12-24 hours. You start checking regularly. The only time I've actually caught foaling from start to finish was by paying attention to this. I'd had the indicators on a previous one, but my dad had just passed away so I didn't really connect the dots and stay to help the mare. She did great though.
Nothing comes out when I express fluid. I'll continue to check but maybe that's a good indicator she's got a ways to go?

I don't. I'm part of the group that thinks it's better to leave the udder alone, although I know a lot of people do it with no problems. Knowing she is ready to go isn't going to be the problem for me, it's more likely to be catching it. Seasoned broodmares are great at waiting until you go in to use the bathroom and get a drink. It's hard to watch for 12-24 hours straight.
I am also worried about catching it. From what my vet said, Gypsy is likely a maiden. I want to be on high alert when signs are imminent. Not sure if that's possible but I want to make sure I'm there for the birth in case she has complications.

Latest posts

Back