Want to take a guess? Is she pregnant?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is she bred?

• Total voters
It's very helpful to see how different mares progress and how much they change, what they look like exactly before foaling ect. When you have a lot of babies you know all that by heart, but people who are having their first or even one a year could use a little extra reminder.

It's very helpful to see how different mares progress and how much they change, what they look like exactly before foaling ect. When you have a lot of babies you know all that by heart, but people who are having their first or even one a year could use a little extra reminder.
For sure. I'm not only new to foaling, but I'm also a first-time horse owner. There is so much to learn and words I've never heard before that I have to google. That's how I found this forum and it's been wonderful.

I'm not sad that I'm not expecting any foals this year. I have enough grey hairs from last year's colts!! However, plans to breed next year... lol

I have a question for you pros! I see a lot of posts that one of the signs a mare is in foal is she bites at her back belly and rubs her bottom a lot. My mare does this but I also notice my neighbor's mare does this as well and she's not in foal. Is this a myth?
I also read that there is a wives tail that a mare that swings her head and neck around because she's protecting her foal. My mare does this all the time but my neighbor said all horses do? Would love opinions on this 😁

The shaking of the head and neck around is a myth. Belly biting depends on the mare. Some do it a lot normally, and some never do. When they are getting close, the belly biting is different. Almost like snapping at their sides due to discomfort, not just scratching an itch.

The shaking of the head and neck around is a myth. Belly biting depends on the mare. Some do it a lot normally, and some never do. When they are getting close, the belly biting is different. Almost like snapping at their sides due to discomfort, not just scratching an itch.
Oh yep, my girl is snapping a lot on her side belly.
Also one udder is much bigger than the other and rock hard. Is that normal? Both are rock hard just one is bigger.

I don't think a hard udder is normal. I've felt a lot of udders and none of them were hard, although right before foaling they get very full and tight. Speaking of full and tight, last night we went from not much to much.

Attachments

• princess335.jpg
    princess335.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 0
I have a question for you pros! I see a lot of posts that one of the signs a mare is in foal is she bites at her back belly and rubs her bottom a lot. My mare does this but I also notice my neighbor's mare does this as well and she's not in foal. Is this a myth?
I also read that there is a wives tail that a mare that swings her head and neck around because she's protecting her foal. My mare does this all the time but my neighbor said all horses do? Would love opinions on this 😁
My gelding does this. He also has a big belly . . .😀. . .

Apparently she doesn't believe in slowly building up. Looks the same today, I guess we have at least one more big change to go.

She started looking narrow from behind, but still no softening around the tail, udder is still not full, and I think she has decided to wait until june.

They look further along than gypsys. Here are hers from last night and now they're somewhat even. No longer one bigger than the other. We still have a ways to go huh?

Attachments

• 6F3CCDB3-4B6D-4B7A-A315-B825DF54B3E4.jpeg
    6F3CCDB3-4B6D-4B7A-A315-B825DF54B3E4.jpeg
    880 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back